It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

Trying to get Asthma under control

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-17-2017, 08:00 AM   #1
HouseRed
(male)

HouseRed HB User
Question Trying to get Asthma under control

So for the past 4 months I've been dealing with what my Pulmo thinks is asthma. Any advice in managing asthma? as those with the condition know, it's a frustrating situation and some of the comments and advice on this board are awesome!

Here is im case (which I'm trying to get under control)!
As a child I had a minor period of asthma. Maybe a year or 2 and it went away. I've had allergies most of my life to shellfish and the common airborne (dust, pollen, cat/dog dander) but I've never had to use medication. Just was able to deal with the runny some and itchy eyes.

Starting this March I was in a job that was very dusty! I started to feel some chest tightness and soon after SOB. This is when I started to visit doctors! First I went to a GP, which told me it could be reactive air disease and to give it some time to heal. Had an X-ray done. Totally normal with no signs of acute issues.A month later, still with the same symptoms, I visited a Pulmo. He decided to put me on QVAR-80 (2 puffs a day), had a spiro done (normal but it said my lugs age was 40, in a 30yr male), also did some blood work all came back normal and the allergens did show up again.
After 2weeks on Qvar, I felt a tad better, but still not the same with the constant tightness (I get SOB but I can run and do my daily tasks with minor issues). I decided to go back to my GP to chat about this and get a second opinion to ensure I'm on the right track. He agreed with the plan, we did a spiro (numbers improved), did and EKG (normal), and checked my oxygen sat (99%, I'm always 99-100% at the Dr office!). He recommended Breo but as I was still using the QVAR I have yet to use the Breo. He also prescribed Singulair.

Here 4weeks later, and I'm still in the same position. I started taking Singulair (generic brand) a few days ago to see its impact. I delayed the use since I've read a number of bad side effects, but I am interested to see if it further helps my situation! I'd been using Allegra 24hr, but I stopped using it once I started with the Singulair.

On top of this, I've uppped my vitamins intake, started on an anti inflammatory diet, and bought Hepa filters both for my Office and Home. I do have a recuse ProAir inhaler and have not had to use it since on the QVaR.

I hope I am able to get this situation under control!!
Stay healthy my friends!

Last edited by Administrator; 07-22-2017 at 05:06 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2017, 08:13 AM   #2
MadLoch
(female)

MadLoch HB User
re: Trying to get Asthma under control

I have always been diagnosed with exercise induced asthma so when is started running 9 years ago it was a challenge to keep going. I found deep breathing slowing in and out while I ran made a big difference as well as taking my puffer right before I headed out.

I have now got my breathing in control and there are only certain times aka very humid weather when I cough and get SOB. I went to a respiratory therapist who insisted exercising has no impact on improving your asthma (I was there as my daughter has the same thing); however I found for myself running improves your lung capacity therefore you struggle less for air. Idk it worked for me. I don't run at the moment due to something else going on atm but I hope to get back to it.

Old 07-17-2017, 09:05 AM   #3
HouseRed
(male)

HouseRed HB User
re: Trying to get Asthma under control

I agree about the running! I struggle at the beginning of the run but feel so much better after!!!
Hope you get back at it! Thanks for the reply!

Reply Reply