It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

Widespread Twitches, EXTREMELY ANXIOUS - Anyone??

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-06-2017, 06:33 PM   #1
CheeseCurd49
(male)

CheeseCurd49 HB User
Widespread Twitches, EXTREMELY ANXIOUS - Anyone??

Hello All,

I am so frustrated I have no idea what else to do. Currently I am suffering with generalized body wide muscle twitching. They initially started in December of this year after I had a twitch in my right shoulder. I decided to google the symptoms and ended up in the worst panic of my life. I thought at first it could be MS and I then learned of ALS and my twitches exploded all over. I went to a neurologist in March who did not want to do the EMG and she said it was something called benign fasciculation syndrome. It took some time but the twitches became less frequent but never went away. In July I had a full physical and my GP stated it was nothing and could be attributed to stress or somatization of symptoms. I began an accelerated nursing program and now I can't concentrate because I am scared to death again because the twitching has come back.

My biggest problem is the unbelievable amount of discrepancy there is related to the subject. You can look on any site and it states that "muscle twitching" is a sign of MND. There are people who have been diagnosed who say they started out with twitching as their first symptoms. There are people in their 20s saying they have been diagnosed with the illness. Then there are hoards of people who state twitching is related to anxiety and stress. That it is benign if no other symptoms are present. I just do not know what to think.

I am 27 and have never been diagnosed with GAD or anything but I have had a very stressful childhood. Maybe I do need to see a psychiatrist?

If anyone has these issues please let me know. I would love to discuss them I hate this so much

Report this
❤ 0

Last edited by CheeseCurd49; 09-06-2017 at 06:43 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2017, 08:00 AM   #2
Snoopy61
Senior Veteran
(female)

Snoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB User
Re: Widespread Twitches, EXTREMELY ANXIOUS - Anyone??

Quote:
I am 27 and have never been diagnosed with GAD or anything but I have had a very stressful childhood. Maybe I do need to see a psychiatrist?
Yes, A Psychiatrist could be very helpful. Anxiety/panic attacks can cause physical symptoms such as the body wide twitches you are having.

Medication could be very helpful for reducing your anxiety/panic attacks which can reduce or resolve the physical symptoms.

Working with a Psychotherapist will help you work through your very stressful childhood and is a complement treatment to go along with the Psychiatrist and medication.

Quote:
I then learned of ALS and my twitches exploded all over.
This gives credence to a Psychological/Psychosomatic cause for your twitches.

Old 09-07-2017, 10:34 AM   #3
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

A psychiatrist could be helpful, but I would like to know if your neurologist put you through a series of blood testing?

What meds are you on at this time? Are you on any specific diets?

q

Old 09-07-2017, 12:25 PM   #4
CheeseCurd49
(male)

CheeseCurd49 HB User

No blood tests by the neurologist. My twitching began in December and I went to her in March. She is board certified and has expertise in MND. When I came in she put me through a detailed strength exam which included all types of exercises or movements/reflexes and she didn't see anything wrong. She also said she did not recommend any EMG or MRI. She said this was really unnecessary and there was a chance more questions would be raised than answered. So I left happy but still symptomatic.

However, I had a physical done in July with my GP and she did all the blood work. She also did a more basic exam and said it is nothing and I am showing no weakness or odd reflexive patterns. The blood tests came back normal. The only thing was that I was "insufficient" in vitamin D. It said I was not in the deficient range but only insufficient so I have been taking Vit D since. But the symptoms did not completely go away.

I am on no medications. In terms of diet I am trying to limit caffeine and meat but nothing specific.

The following user gives a hug of support to CheeseCurd49:
YaYagirl (09-07-2017)
Old 09-07-2017, 12:50 PM   #5
YaYagirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

YaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB User

Hi

You might research deficiencies that cause your symptoms. You may need magnesium CITRATE (the highly digestible magnesium) to balance out whatever calcium you ingest. Or you might need B12 injections. Or you may need what most are deficient in, B vitamins in general. Or you may need all of those.

Try taking B 100 (NOT time released, and NOT B Complex as neither of those are B 100). Just taking the B 100 can relax your nerves significantly. If you drink or take any sort of drugs and/or have other high stress I think it's safe to assume that you are B deficient. Most people are. Those are not things to which most medical doctors pay attention.

Last edited by YaYagirl; 09-07-2017 at 12:54 PM.

Old 09-07-2017, 01:32 PM   #6
CheeseCurd49
(male)

CheeseCurd49 HB User

I will go buy some today and try it out. I just read that there are many studies out there that say it helps with anxiety as well. Thank you )

Last edited by CheeseCurd49; 09-07-2017 at 01:33 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to CheeseCurd49:
YaYagirl (09-13-2017)
Old 09-07-2017, 01:35 PM   #7
CheeseCurd49
(male)

CheeseCurd49 HB User

Thank you for the response Snoopy. I will go to the counselors at my school they give 5 free sessions and give more if they are needed. Something needs to be done for sure

Last edited by CheeseCurd49; 09-07-2017 at 01:36 PM.

Old 09-13-2017, 08:39 AM   #8
YaYagirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

YaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheeseCurd49 View Post
I will go buy some today and try it out. I just read that there are many studies out there that say it helps with anxiety as well. Thank you )

Let us know what helps you!

Reply Reply