It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2003, 08:23 AM   #1

WarBonds HB User
Question Grapefruit pectin ????

This may be just another gimmick, but one "prominent" health/nutritional writer, who is well known, swears 100% that grapefruit pectin clears your arteries almost squeaky clean like "draino".

He says it is 100% non toxic, cheap and effective.
I (naive?) bought some last week and am giving it a try.
Gugul did zippo for me; took it daily for over a year.

Doc has been trying to get me on cholesterol meds for over 7 years now, for my somewhat elevated levels. I said no, no, no and will try other ways to lower it.

Any feedback on grapefruit pectin or is it just another waste of time/money??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-21-2003, 09:09 AM   #2
Inactive

peregrine HB User
Re: Grapefruit pectin ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarBonds
This may be just another gimmick, but one "prominent" health/nutritional writer, who is well known, swears 100% that grapefruit pectin clears your arteries almost squeaky clean like "draino".

He says it is 100% non toxic, cheap and effective.
I (naive?) bought some last week and am giving it a try.
Gugul did zippo for me; took it daily for over a year.

Doc has been trying to get me on cholesterol meds for over 7 years now, for my somewhat elevated levels. I said no, no, no and will try other ways to lower it.

Any feedback on grapefruit pectin or is it just another waste of time/money??
Are you referring to a product called Citracil? I don't know about lowering cholesterol but it's great for colds and sore throats - 5 or 6 drops in H2O throughout the day. It is also a good disinfectant for countertops, etc. I'd be very interested to know if it also lowers cholesterol.

Peregrine

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-21-2003, 09:16 AM   #3

WarBonds HB User

Peregrine,

No, it's not that. This pectin comes capsules and in powder; can be bought in any healthfood store.. It is pure grapefruit pectin.....When you take the powder form, by teaspoon, it is very "gunky" and sticky but it is almost tasteless...

It has nothing to do with colds, or whatever; it is a fibre product.

WarBonds

Old 11-21-2003, 10:10 AM   #4
Inactive

peregrine HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarBonds
Peregrine,

No, it's not that. This pectin comes capsules and in powder; can be bought in any healthfood store.. It is pure grapefruit pectin.....When you take the powder form, by teaspoon, it is very "gunky" and sticky but it is almost tasteless...

It has nothing to do with colds, or whatever; it is a fibre product.

WarBonds
O.K., but the product I mentioned states on the bottle that it is grapefruit extract. Maybe pectin and extract are two different animals.

Old 11-21-2003, 10:36 AM   #5

MichaelNYC HB User

I also read the same report about Grapefruit Pectin. Last week, I purchased 100 tablets of Grapefruit Pectin (1000mg) for $8.37. At this price, why not try it. I'm taking 2000mg a day. I recently had a CT Heart Scan which indicated above average calcium in the arteries (calcium score = 375). Doctor mentioned that calcium deposits is like concrete and can't be reversed. I'm not convinced of this. I'm also taking 3000mg vitamin C and 1500 mg of Lysine along with the Grapefruit Pectin and 100mg of CQ10. A calcium score above 400 is entering the danger zone therefore I must stay focused and attempt to reduce calcium deposits or keep the score at 375. I'm also on mostly vegetarian diet and I juice each day. Future blood tests will disclose benefits of my current regimen.
My recommendation is to take the Grapefruit Pectin at a cost of 8 cents a day. If you don't benefit from it very few dollars have been lost.

Old 11-22-2003, 06:23 AM   #6
Inactive

zip2play HB User

When I see a product being huckstered with lines like "squeaky clean like drano" I put away my wallet an run. (Intravenous drano is not a pretty thought at any rate. )

If I want pectins, I eat fruit. They are a class of soluble fiber and these beneficial fibers are most cheaply available in legumes (unless you won orchards.)

I'll bet the pills increase your libido and cure cancer as well....maybe even bring world peace?

Last edited by zip2play; 11-22-2003 at 06:31 AM.

Old 11-22-2003, 08:11 AM   #7

WarBonds HB User

Well, as stated at the beginning of this thread, I bought a bottle of grapefruit pectin, 1000 mgs /tab, 120 tabs in a bottle.....if it works, great.....if it doesn't bring down my cholesterol, oh well, at least I got some extra fibre in my diet.
Can't hurt, and the pectin wasn't too expensive anyways.

I like to keep an open mind to new things, but at the same time, I don't have a hole in my head!

Closed Thread