It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2004, 07:56 PM   #1

curlygirl1 HB User
I'm a 31 year old woman and my hair is thinning!!!

I have long, curly hair. My hair was very THICK until a few months ago. It may sound silly but until recently, I had always struggled with certain rubber bands and other hair accessories because my hair was so thick. And now, everything is no longer a struggle because my hair has thinned. I am nervous that I have a disease that I am unaware of or something.

Please advise.....

Old 01-06-2004, 09:27 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Angel77 HB User
Re: I'm a 31 year old woman and my hair is thinning!!!

I used to have the same problem, my hair is naturally curly and for the longest time there was too much of it. I started losing so much of it that you could see my scalp on top. It ended up being Grave's disease, but any form of thyroid can cause this. This is only one cause, but very common in women and undiagnosed.
You should get a blood work up and include the entire thyroid panel and RSH. You should also check out the thyroid board on here. Do you have any other problems that seem to have begun recently...no matter how odd or unrelated they may seem? The losing the hair was not my first symptom, just the one that really got my attention.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2004, 12:42 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User

As Angel mentioned, thyroid disorders can cause thinning hair. Other factors that are reversible are anemia (low red blood cells), poor diet, certain medications, stress, childbirth, and perimenopause (the time leading up to menopause). The latter of course is not you.

See your doctor for a check-up. This is more likely something totally temporary and fixable rather than serious.

Old 01-07-2004, 03:24 PM   #4

curlygirl1 HB User

Actually, I am waiting to get an endoscopy done. My doctor thinks I have an ulcer. Unfortuantely, this can't be confirmed until the end of month because he's on vacation for three weeks. (lucky him) I didn't think that would have anything to do with it. Who knows... maybe it does??

I am going to take your advice and schedule an appointment to get the blood work. What does RSH stand for?

Is your hair back to its normal state? Thank you for your response. I appreciate your advice more than you know! Happy New Year to you!

Old 01-07-2004, 03:27 PM   #5

curlygirl1 HB User
Smile Re: I'm a 31 year old woman and my hair is thinning!!!

I am definitely making an appointment for a physical/blood work-TOMORROW! I appreciate your advice and your positive reassuarance.

Happy New Year!

Old 01-07-2004, 05:04 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Angel77 HB User

Unfortunately my hair is still thin, and it falls out in large amounts periodically, but with the curls, I'm the only one that notices.
You need to get an actual copy of your blood work up. Some docs don't like this because they feel threatened that you may check up on them or know a bit more on the subject than they do. I found they give no hassles when I tell them that I'm possibly going to be changing health insurance and they want my last 3 yrs of med history or I just keep a copy of all my records at home just in case I need them.
You may be told you're in normal ranges, but normal is subjective. Most people should have there TSH between 1 and 2. But normal says you can have it up to 6 with out problems. But different people function better at a different range. Many people who are hypothyroid get relief from synthroid (works on the T4), I didn't get any relief!! My TSH began to drop, but symptoms did not go away. I'm waiting to try Cytomel, which works on the T3's and for those who got no relief from the first, the latter was a life saver.
That may be the difference for me. Hopefully my hair will come back in thick like it was. Don't ya wish now that you never complained about how thick it was or hard to take care of???? LOL Got your wish!! I know that's the first thing I thought....careful what you wish for....anyway, my sense of humor is a little off, so hope I didn't offend you. I just have had numerous health problems for so long, that it's my only coping mechanism, most don't get it....but I am now easily entertained!! LOL
Let us know how you're doing. BTW do you have any other out of the ordinary symptoms going on?

Old 01-08-2004, 03:46 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Meg28 HB User

Are you taking any medication? I was suffering from hair loss like the rest of us..even have curly hair as well....turned out to be a side effect of a medication that I was taking.

Good luck!
Meg

Old 01-08-2004, 04:47 PM   #8

curlygirl1 HB User

Hi Angel-

Sorry to hear that after you found what the cause was with your hair loss, it has not grown back to its normal state.

No.. I don't mind your joking-at all. It's funny, because I thought the same exact thing to myself before you even mentioned it! Why I complained... I'll never know! As you said, be careful what you wish for. And you're right... the curls hide that my hair has thinned out and no one notices it but me. You asked if I had any other symptoms... aside from the fact that I always feel stressed... that's it. Do you think the birth control pill could have this effect?

I took your advice and I am going for a full physical this Saturday. So.. I should request a TSH test and a full thyroid check with my blood work? I'm laughing because that just might be the same thing! Is it? I will tell my doctor of my concern and "hopefully" he will know. LOL!

I like your advice on obtaining copies of medical records. I don't know why it is so hard, afterall, we have every right to have them. As you mentioned, they become threatened by the request but it's really scary when you think about "why" are they threatened?

Thank you for your advice and your support!

Old 01-08-2004, 04:49 PM   #9

curlygirl1 HB User

Hi Meg-

Aside from the birth control pill... I am not taking anything. I scheduled a physical for this saturday, so hopefully I will get to the root of this problem soon! Hope you are well.

Closed Thread