It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2004, 09:13 PM   #1
Senior Veteran

Arleen HB User
Anyone used Grapefruist Seed Extract?

Hi:

I have had bad malocclusion problems the last 2 years due to dental work. This has caused my teeth to hit each other, and then I started grinding. My teeth started getting sore, then my gums, which have been receding a lot. Initially I thought it was solely due to the malocclusion and pressure this was placing on my teeth.

I also have TMJ, likely the result of the dental work. I've now been fitted with three different splints and find my teeth and gums can withstand the pressure. Now I don't know if the problem is the malocclusion, the splints, or if my gum problems are a separate issue. The splints cause my gums to get little blister like sores. I've also had one red spot on my gum for a long time. I thought with a good splint, and proper distribution of pressure on my teeth, it would go away. It hasn't. I'm unable to wear my latest splint because of these problems. It also appears to be moving some of my teeth. I see the dentist next week. My splint may require adjustments.

I've also booked an appt with a periodontist. I've seen three in the last 2 years, none who seemed overly concerned with my recession problems. They said it happens at my age (49), but I know that's not what's causing the problem.

The homeopath I started seeing several months ago recommended grapefruit seed extract at that time. He started me on 7 drops in water, to rinse my mouth 3 times daily. This is supposed to be very good at killing bacteria. I had a very bad reaction to it. The tip of my tongue turned red and it felt like it'd been scorched like when you eat soup that's too hot. I lessened the amount of drops to 3, but after several days my gums were also red. Has anyone had success with this product? I'm thinking of trying it again - maybe only 1 drop in water? as I'm concerned a periodontist will treat the symptoms and not get to the cause, which means the symptoms could keep returning. I've also started taking 300 mg Co-Enzyme Q10 and Vitamin C.

I'd welcome any suggestions, and would love to hear any success stories.

Thanks, and take care all,
Arleen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2004, 08:21 PM   #2

dagmarharris HB User
Re: Anyone used Grapefruist Seed Extract?

Hi, I have grinded my teeth all my life. They are flat and no points like most peoples. I tried the splint but I thought like you, my teeth were moving. I also know mine is partly stress related. I even broke a tooth about two years ago. I had to have a crown put in.
I don't know much about the grapefruit seed for what you are asking. I have taken it when I was sick, as I think it is a natural antibiotic. It never caused me discomfort like you mentioned. What is the Co enzyme Q 10 suppose to do? I have taken it for general health.
Hope to hear more on your progress with these products...
~dagmar

Old 01-08-2004, 10:04 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

Arleen HB User

Hi Dagmar:

Wow, you must really grind if you've broken a tooth. I never really had a grinding problem until I had two fillings replaced, and whatever happened then, messed my bite up completely. That has caused me to grind, and I'm hoping whenever that gets resolved, the grinding will stop. I don't believe I did much grinding with my current splint, but because of the gums problems, I'm not wearing it.

It seems the grapefruit seed extract has a number of uses, so it makes sense you were taking it while you were sick. It's supposed to be pretty powerful stuff. You can even use it as a disinfectact when washing your clothes

Q10 and Vitamin C taken together are supposed to help the gums and to fight gum disease. I've only been taking them for a week, so it's too early to tell. My homeopath told me to increase the amount of Q10 as I was taking the normal dosage of one pill/day. I'm now taking 3. I'll post if I get good results.

Take care

Old 01-08-2004, 10:07 PM   #4

MichaelNYC HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arleen
Hi:

I have had bad malocclusion problems the last 2 years due to dental work. This has caused my teeth to hit each other, and then I started grinding. My teeth started getting sore, then my gums, which have been receding a lot. Initially I thought it was solely due to the malocclusion and pressure this was placing on my teeth.

I also have TMJ, likely the result of the dental work. I've now been fitted with three different splints and find my teeth and gums can withstand the pressure. Now I don't know if the problem is the malocclusion, the splints, or if my gum problems are a separate issue. The splints cause my gums to get little blister like sores. I've also had one red spot on my gum for a long time. I thought with a good splint, and proper distribution of pressure on my teeth, it would go away. It hasn't. I'm unable to wear my latest splint because of these problems. It also appears to be moving some of my teeth. I see the dentist next week. My splint may require adjustments.

I've also booked an appt with a periodontist. I've seen three in the last 2 years, none who seemed overly concerned with my recession problems. They said it happens at my age (49), but I know that's not what's causing the problem.

The homeopath I started seeing several months ago recommended grapefruit seed extract at that time. He started me on 7 drops in water, to rinse my mouth 3 times daily. This is supposed to be very good at killing bacteria. I had a very bad reaction to it. The tip of my tongue turned red and it felt like it'd been scorched like when you eat soup that's too hot. I lessened the amount of drops to 3, but after several days my gums were also red. Has anyone had success with this product? I'm thinking of trying it again - maybe only 1 drop in water? as I'm concerned a periodontist will treat the symptoms and not get to the cause, which means the symptoms could keep returning. I've also started taking 300 mg Co-Enzyme Q10 and Vitamin C.

I'd welcome any suggestions, and would love to hear any success stories.

Thanks, and take care all,
Arleen
300mg of Coenzyme 10? Wow, that's a lot of CQ10. Do you have a serious heart condition? If not, can't imagine why you're taking this supplement and in such a high dosage. The range is from 30mg to 300mg depending on heart condition. You may want to see a Nutritionist for advise that makes more sense.

Old 01-08-2004, 10:26 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

Arleen HB User

Hi Michael:

I'm taking it for my gums. I see a homeopath and it was his suggestion that I increase it. Yes, it's above the normal dosage of 100mg/day. Some people have great success with it, combined with vitamin C helping with gum problems.

Take care

Old 01-15-2004, 10:24 AM   #6
(female)

Kaycee41 HB User

Hi Arleen...I couldn't believe it when I read your post! I'm having dental problems myself and my dentist can't figure it out. I've had alot of dental work over the years, especially lately. Had alot of old metal fillings that caused fractures, so the teeth needed to be crowned. Anyway, seems the more dental work I have, the more pain I'm in. It's weird, the paid moves around my mouth. I don't know if it's my gums or the teeth. The dentist thought I was "clenching", which I think I was...seemed to start after all the dental work. I spent $425 on a mouth-guard which hasn't helped...it also seems to put pressure on my teeth which cause them to hurt. My pain is a burning-like pain that comes and goes, seems to get worse when I eat warm food. I'm at the end of my rope after 9 months of this. To a point now that I don't want to go back to the dentist cause I don't trust them (I feel like they caused the problems in the first place because everytime I have a tooth worked on I have months of pain and after I had a "scalling" my teeth have been so sensitive!!!). I know it's stupid of me...avoiding the dentist is what caused the dental work in the first place. It's been almost a year since I had a cleaning, but I'm terrified to go because of the pain I'm in. I also noticed that after I had 3 teeth crowned on one side that my bite felt "off" and has never felt right since even though the dentist tried to "adjust the bite". I'm at a point now that I'm seriously concidering having teeth pulled instead of root-canal, caps etc. I've spent thousands on my teeth in the last years, so I hate to do that, but the daily pain is so hard to deal with. I'm so jealous of people with healthy teeth. I know there is probably no advice anyone can give me, but after reading your post I just wanted to "vent" and let you know that someone else is going through what you are. By the way, I'm 44....I'm worried about my gums receding also. Good luck to you!

Old 01-15-2004, 09:55 PM   #7
Senior Veteran

Arleen HB User

Hi Kaycee:

I don't blame you for being afraid to go to the dentist. It sounds like the crowns have thrown your bite off. I hate to say this, but having dental work done (fillings, wisdom teeth pulled, crowns not done to the right bite) can cause TMJ symptoms. Clenching and grinding are often the start of these problems. When I had my fillings redone, it threw my bite COMPLETELY off and I immediately started grinding. You might want to have a read of the TMJ Healthboard, just for information purposes. Research everything before you let a dentist do something to you, as I haven't found too many dentists to be truthful and really concerned about their patients. Sorry for sounding so cynical, but I've seen many dentists in the last 2 years.

It sounds like you need a dentist who has a very good understanding of bite problems and possibly TMJ. Sometimes having your bite thrown off just a touch (like with your crowns) can cause all sorts of problems. A tooth that is too hard puts undue pressure on everything. Malocclusion can cause gum recession, although most dentists will not tell you so.

Unless you know there is a REAL problem with your teeth, I wouldn't consider root canals. You may want to see an endodontist and get absolute proof from them that your tooth is dead or has some other problem that root canaling it will fix. Dentists often suggest root canals when there is no cause. It's can be a guess on their part that it will fix the problem. Also, if there's nothing wrong with a tooth, don't pull it in hopes that it will help your pain problem. It may not, and then you're minus a tooth.

I started seeing a homeopath and his suggestions have helped somewhat. Not as much as I'd like, but it's a start. I'm taking Co-Enzyme Q10 (100mg 3 times/day with food), vitamin C, MSM (which is a sulphur). Just recently started with B6. I also believe vitamin E may help with gums, but I'm not on it just yet. It's reduced some of my pain and inflammation.

Good luck.

Old 01-19-2004, 08:30 PM   #8
(female)

Susannah HB User

I've been taking 15 drops of grapefruit seed extract 2 or 3 times every day. I can't say that it's done much for me. I have some sort of infection that has been making me sick in various ways for months now. I went to 2 infectious disease docs, 3 GPs, and a couple of others. They all ran a lot of tests that came back negative, and then gave up. So, I resorted to buying drugs from other countries and treating myself. Anyway, Flagyl helped quite a bit, but after a while on it, my joints started hurting, so I discontinued it after reading that was a possible side effect that could become permanent. So, from that, I figured it was probably a bacterial infection if the antibiotic helped. So, that's when I started the grapefruit seed extract. It's not a lot of help to me. I'm thinking maybe it's not absorbed well enough into the bloodstream to do me much good, but I'm not sure.

I have problems with my gums. Vitamin C and tea tree oil toothpaste have really helped, but I still have a couple of teeth where the gum is receded badly. I think I will add the Co-Q10 to my regimen and see if that helps those last couple of gum sections. I definitely recommend the Desert Essence tea tree oil toothpaste though (and the mouthwash). My gums used to be very red, they are pretty and pink (and feel better) now after using the new toothpaste.

Old 01-20-2004, 10:09 PM   #9
Senior Veteran

Arleen HB User

Hi Susannah:

Wow, I can't believe you take 15 drops of GSE. I must be really allergic or something. My homeopath started me on 7 and it made the tip of my tongue red and it felt like I'd burned it on very hot soup. Also made my gums very red. I went down to 3 drops, which was still too much. I stopped taking it for a while, then started at 1. I'm still not sure I'm not getting a reaction to it, so I stopped taking it.

That's too bad it hasn't helped you. Garlic is also supposed to have antiobiotic properties. I tried eating a glove of garlic. Did that for one day, and found I could not get the garlic taste out of my mouth. Apparently some people eat garlic cloves every day. It's supposed to work better than taking garlic pills, which I haven't tried

Thanks for the suggestion about the tea tree oil toothpaste. I'll have to check that out.

Take care.

Old 01-22-2004, 02:55 PM   #10
(female)

Susannah HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arleen
Hi Susannah:

Wow, I can't believe you take 15 drops of GSE. I must be really allergic or something. My homeopath started me on 7 and it made the tip of my tongue red and it felt like I'd burned it on very hot soup. Also made my gums very red. I went down to 3 drops, which was still too much. I stopped taking it for a while, then started at 1. I'm still not sure I'm not getting a reaction to it, so I stopped taking it.

That's too bad it hasn't helped you. Garlic is also supposed to have antiobiotic properties. I tried eating a glove of garlic. Did that for one day, and found I could not get the garlic taste out of my mouth. Apparently some people eat garlic cloves every day. It's supposed to work better than taking garlic pills, which I haven't tried

Thanks for the suggestion about the tea tree oil toothpaste. I'll have to check that out.

Take care.
I used to have the same problem with garlic, it would also make me feel kind of slow (I don't exactly know how to describe it, just didn't think too clearly after eating it). Also, onions gave me the same problem. Well, anyway, after A LOT of digging, I found out that sensitivity to garlic and onions (and anything with sulphur in it) can sometimes be caused by a molybdenum deficiency. So, I took molybdenum supplements for a while. And, guess what? No problems with garlic or onions anymore. Apparently, molybdenum is necessary for your body to metabolize the sulphur correctly. After looking more, I found out that copper and molybdenum kind of compete, so if you have too much of one, you usually don't have enough of another. That made perfect sense, since when I got a hair mineral analysis done a while ago I had very high copper. Funny how everything's kind of connected, but it's still so hard to figure out what's going on.

MSM sometimes helps bacterial stuff, too, because of the sulphur. I guess that's maybe why the garlic is good, also.

Are you diluting the GSE well? I've read if it's not diluted enough, it can cause burning? I usually dilute mine with about 3 or 4 ounces of water. Still tastes gross. I'm still taking it, even though I'm not sure it's helping, I don't think it will hurt.

I just wanted to say, too, that I added the 300 mg/day of Co-Q10 to my regimen a few days ago, and this scar that I've had a really tough time getting to fade has faded considerably! I guess the stuff works.

Old 01-22-2004, 05:24 PM   #11
Senior Veteran

Arleen HB User

Hi Susannah:

Interesting about molybdenum deficiency. I often feel spacey after eating garlic, either a clove or in a dish. Onions do the same. If I have onion soup I can hardly stay awake. I thought maybe the problem was the salt content. I had a hair analysis done recently, so I'll look at those results. I'm on MSM and it's helped my gums, but maybe it would help more if I was taking molybdenum??

I think I'm allergic to GSE. I was taking 1 drop in 4 or 5 oz water, swishing quickly. It would dry my mouth for a few hours, and I'd get a light stinging feeling, like tingling. I've stopped it for now.

The Q10 has helped a lot. Or it could be the vitamin C, or the combination of both. My gums are looking much better. Amazing that your scar has faded.

Take care.

Old 01-22-2004, 05:44 PM   #12
Senior Veteran

Arleen HB User

Hi again Susannah:

You're right. I just checked my hair analysis. High in copper, low in molybdenum. My homeopath has me trying to improve the worst results first, but I'll ask him about it at my next appt.

Thanks.

Old 01-23-2004, 09:55 AM   #13
(female)

Susannah HB User

[QUOTE=Arleen]
Interesting about molybdenum deficiency. I often feel spacey after eating garlic, either a clove or in a dish. Onions do the same. If I have onion soup I can hardly stay awake. I thought maybe the problem was the salt content. I had a hair analysis done recently, so I'll look at those results. I'm on MSM and it's helped my gums, but maybe it would help more if I was taking molybdenum??
QUOTE]

That's the feeling, exactly. You described it much better. Spacey and tired.

Old 01-19-2005, 09:17 AM   #14

alarmclock HB User
Exclamation Re: Anyone used Grapefruist Seed Extract?

WOW!!! at last confirmation that the dentistry profession causes more problems than they solve. Try rolfing or chiropractic and see if you can alleviate the clenching grinding problem. I have had a lot of both and it is amazing how the manipulation of the neck bones affects our bite. I learned this in my twenties when after 4 fillings I suddenly clenched my teeth and could not find comfort 24 hours a day with my mouth position. One chiropractic treatment about 3 years later and I drove away with a relaxed jaw and no longer clenched. That was then and this is now since then and more dental work including crowns, I have broken 3 teeth after having my bite completely thrown off by an idiot dentist who I would love to sue. He offered no help to me and caused me about 2500. so far in additional dental work. We need to gather and rise up and make dentists tell the truth about the damage they do.

Old 01-19-2005, 09:39 AM   #15
Veteran

armadillo pie HB User

Grapefruit seed extract is a known healer of gums. But it must be used consisitantly to help.
Also CQ10 300 mg is not that much- some people take much higher doses. The RDA is 100 mg and they ( the FDA) always give very litlle recommended amounts- sometimes not enough to do anything- as in Vit.E.
Read up on studies and you'd be amazed at how much of some vitimins you can take daily without them harming you.

Reply Reply