It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2004, 02:08 AM   #1

mumofmany HB User
boils, cysts and lumps

for the last 2 years i have suffered cysts and boils, started as a clogged duct in one breast then turned to a cyst, ever since i have been having them everywhere including unmentionable places, i have 2 on one breast at the moment (surface) they started as pimples grew got painfull/swollen a popped. Allso i have one at the top of my leg (inside) right on knicker line, the hard lump is about 2 inches big but the swelling is the size of my hand, real painful to walk/sit/lie and even move, im having to limp which is causing my other leg to hurt and is playingt havok on my back (25 weeks preg) i have not been to docs as i went before with one under my arm and they said there was nothing they can do. Im in so much pain im close to tears, hubby is having to take time off work to collect kids from school as i cant even walk around the house with severe pain
any ideas???
there is no head on this lump or whatever it is so i know its no where near close to popping i just want/need something to ease the pain
thanks

Old 02-14-2004, 08:14 PM   #2
(female)

rileyroe HB User
Re: boils, cysts and lumps

there is a product called BOIL EASE and it works awesome!! I have used it a few time and within a day or so it brings the boil to a head....it really works great! You can get it at a pharmacy store, and I have even seen it at k-mart. have your husband get you some and let me know how it works for you!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2004, 12:08 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User

MUM-
I can tell you are probably from the British Isles (?)...The words Mum and knicker-line kind of gives you away!

Rileyroe's suggestion is good but not sure if you can get that product where you are.

Being 6 months pregnant, are you seeing your obstetrician on a regular basis? Surely he/she should be concerned and helping you deal with these persistent boils. What does he/she say about them being so chronic and recurrent?
And I do hope that you never went back to the doc who told you there was nothing he could do!

Boils generally form from infected hair follicles.
The bacteria that cause the infection are called staphylococcus. The body builds a protective wall around the infection to prevent it from spreading. Unfortunately, this also blocks the body's natural defences from attacking the bacteria and a cyst, or boil, develops.
Being 'run down' or suffering from some illness that lowers your body's defence against infection (like diabetes) can increase your risk of boils. Have you had blood tests to rule out diabetes?
'Dirty skin' is not a cause, although daily washing is important. Overwashing with antiseptic soaps may even increase your risk.

The one that is causing you so much discomfort right now needs to be looked at, since it seems it is nowhere near coming to a head. Your doctor should have some idea as to how to safely and quickly get you out of pain.

zuzu xxx

Last edited by zuzu8; 02-15-2004 at 12:12 AM.

Old 02-15-2004, 05:38 AM   #4
(female)

ellie40 HB User

Hi,
About 6 years ago I was having the same problem that you are describing. I had nasty boils popping up under my arms, inner thigh, back and arms. They were horrible and painful and I was miserable. I had to have many of them lanced open so they could drain which left me with bad scarring. Some opened on their own after I applied numerous warm compresses. I went to different doctors, internal medicine, dermatologists. They ran blood work, had diabetes testing which all came back negative. The one derm I was seeing had lanced one of the boils open and took a swab sample of the contents and also took a swab sample from inside my nose. He concluded that I was a staph carrier (both samples came back showing staph). He explained to me that some people carry staph topically on their skin which in turn were causing the boils. He suggested I wash with a special liquid soap that the Dr's use to scrub with before surgery. I can't remember the brand I used but you can get it at any pharmacy. The only draw back was the smell and that it seemed to really dry out my skin. It was orange in color. After using it every day in the shower for a few months I didnt have any more breakouts. The dermatologist said I could quit using it but to make sure I always use a antibacterial soap (I use Dial soap now) and have not had a problem since. I would suggest seeing a Doctor and have blood work, diabetes testing first to rule out any other factors that could be causing the boils. I know how awful these are and that they can make your life miserable.

Closed Thread