It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2004, 09:29 AM   #1

tyler7 HB User
Naturally having a normal "healthy" body temp BELOW 98.6 degrees?

Hi everyone, I've been a regular over at the Pain Mgmt board for awhile but have a general question now.

While having a bad cold all this week, at one point I was sure I even had a fever and so bought one of those digital thermometers (but it still took a good 2 minutes for a reading to come). Anyway, making sure to have not eaten or drank anything for at least 15-20 minutes before I took it (to not skew my mouth's temp) I actually ended up having a temp around 96-97 degrees. And in the time since I've tested it a few times again and still keep coming in that same range, and at this point I'm even pretty much over my cold. My mom seems to think that there are some people who in fact do have a normal, steady body temperature of colder than the "human usual" of 98.6 degrees. Anyone else ever hear of this, and/or experience it themselves??

(and yes, I've certainly had fevers before in my life, but haven't taken my temp in a long time before this, so don't really remember where I was in the past in relation to this situation). THANKS!

Old 03-05-2004, 03:37 PM   #2
(female)

more HB User
Re: Naturally having a normal "healthy" body temp BELOW 98.6 degrees?

I always had a normal temperature of 98.6. After loosing 50 lbs. I found my "normal" temperature dropped to 97.

What I suggest you do is when you are healthy take your temperature a few times at different times during the day and see what it is.

I had some surgery two years ago and my mom told the nurse I was flushed and she felt I was running a temperature. The nurse came in and took my temperature but said it was only 99 - not considered a problem. Later that night she took it again and said it had gone up to 99.6 - still not considered high, just a reaction to recovery and they consider a temperature to be over 100. When I told her my normal is usually 97 she went and got more antibiotics for me and said if she had known that earlier in the day she would have given the antibiotic to me sooner. She also advised me to always tell people my normal is 97 and not 98.6.

Remember 98.6 is the average temperature and to get an average you need people with a higher and others with a lower temperature to get the average.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2004, 11:29 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

coppertop HB User

My temp is lower than normal also. More often than not, nurses end up taking my temp more than once to double check, I have also had nurses get different thermometers because they thought maybe it was broke!

Old 03-06-2004, 04:46 PM   #4
(female)

jboon HB User

My normal body temperature is 97.6. I always make sure to tell the doctor because if my temperature is 99 it's a fever (for me). My son's temperature ranges between 97 and 98.6 (depending on the day). In fact, oftentimes before he gets sick his temperature will drop closer to 97 and then go up.

Old 03-06-2004, 05:17 PM   #5

Lisa43017 HB User

People have differesnt ranges. However if you are consistently below 97 it is good to get your thyroid checked.

Old 03-11-2004, 08:15 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Katyana HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler7
Hi everyone, I've been a regular over at the Pain Mgmt board for awhile but have a general question now.

While having a bad cold all this week, at one point I was sure I even had a fever and so bought one of those digital thermometers (but it still took a good 2 minutes for a reading to come). Anyway, making sure to have not eaten or drank anything for at least 15-20 minutes before I took it (to not skew my mouth's temp) I actually ended up having a temp around 96-97 degrees. And in the time since I've tested it a few times again and still keep coming in that same range, and at this point I'm even pretty much over my cold. My mom seems to think that there are some people who in fact do have a normal, steady body temperature of colder than the "human usual" of 98.6 degrees. Anyone else ever hear of this, and/or experience it themselves??

(and yes, I've certainly had fevers before in my life, but haven't taken my temp in a long time before this, so don't really remember where I was in the past in relation to this situation). THANKS!
My normal core body temperature is 35.9 Celcius (96.6 F). If my temperature goes above that, that means I have a temperature. If my temperature reaches 37 Celcius (98.6 F), that is a super high temperature for me, probably equal to someone having a temperature of 102 F.

I was in the hospital a year ago and my temperature was 36.9 and the nurse said "Normal". I told her that's not normal for me and that I had a fever going on. She argued with me about it, lol

Old 03-12-2004, 09:25 AM   #7

tyler7 HB User

I'd just like to thank everyone for inputing on this topic. Between all of you, and now some people in my own life I have heard repeatedly that while it may not be common exactly to have a lower than normal 98.6 temp when healthy, it definitely happens. Although to the person who brought up the thyroid - I spoke a to a friend who has had a lot of thyroid problems in her past, and she herself has a lower temp often, but she's never heard of any connection with the thyroid, and she's pretty medically schooled thanks to a rare muscle disease she's now suffered from for a couple years. Thanks again

Old 03-13-2004, 11:52 AM   #8

fudd HB User

People with thyroid (whether hypo or hyper) problems usually have a whole slew of medical problems including changes in body temperature, changes in frequency of bowel movements, irregular menstrual periods, cardiac anomolies (especially PVCs, or "extra" heart beats), etc. Usually, however, people with thyroid problems do not present with all of these possibilities - you may only see a temp irregularity with irregular menses (for example) . The above poster is correct that a very low temp (or a high temp w/o infection) is an indication to check thyroid levels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler7
I'd just like to thank everyone for inputing on this topic. Between all of you, and now some people in my own life I have heard repeatedly that while it may not be common exactly to have a lower than normal 98.6 temp when healthy, it definitely happens. Although to the person who brought up the thyroid - I spoke a to a friend who has had a lot of thyroid problems in her past, and she herself has a lower temp often, but she's never heard of any connection with the thyroid, and she's pretty medically schooled thanks to a rare muscle disease she's now suffered from for a couple years. Thanks again

Old 03-23-2004, 10:58 AM   #9
Inactive

pennymellor HB User

it is "normal"(98% of the population) to have a body temperature of between 36.2 and 37.4

a low body temperature by itslef is not indicative of thyroid disease

Closed Thread