It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2004, 04:18 PM   #1

avva HB User
Unhappy pain and swelling in knuckle of finger

For the last couple of months, the knuckle of the middle finger of my right hand is swollen and hurts when I bend it to grasp anything. It also hurts when pressure is placed on the top of the knuckle. There is also a clicking noise when I bend it. I showed it to the doc. and he thinks it could be arthritis.

I never remember injuring the finger and there never was any bruising, but I could have injured it without knowing it by lifting something too heavy and putting strain on that finger.

I guess I will have to get an xray. Could this be a torn tendon or a broken bone? Any advice would be most appreciated.

Old 03-13-2004, 12:02 PM   #2

fudd HB User
Re: pain and swelling in knuckle of finger

It could be arthritis, but it could be a lot of things as well.

First, a few questions:

-Age and gender?
-Any past medical history or significant family history (esp other autoimmune diseases like lupus?
-Any recent infections?
-How would you describe how the joint feels (eg sharp, burning, sore, achy, etc).
-Does your joint feel stiff?
-Does this happen more/less often at any time of day?
-Any other medical problems (fatigue, weight loss, fever, muscle soreness, etc)?

Last edited by fudd; 03-13-2004 at 12:03 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2004, 09:35 PM   #3

avva HB User
Re: pain and swelling in knuckle of finger

Dear Fudd:

Thanks for your quick reply to my e-mail. Sorry for the delay in responding to your e-mail. I had problems with my lap top. I saw the doc. and he thinks that that the pain and swelling in the knuckle of the middle finger is due to flexor tendinitis. He said the tendon in the palm of my hand which is attached to the finger is the cause of the problem and I should take an anti-inflammatory.

I know the antinflammatory will help me with the pain and swelling but what bothers me is that the upper section of my finger above the knuckle has gone a bit crooked due the problem with the tendon.

Regarding any past health problems, I had a probelm with my sinuses in Feb. and took antibiotics. Since that has not cleared up, I am now taking a new antibiotic. All I know is that sinus problem is causing the joints in my finger too hurt more than usual. The pain I experience is sharp at times.

Any suggestions including herbal remedies will be most appreciated

Closed Thread