It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2004, 06:03 AM   #1
(male)

stevetobias HB User
Smile My nose ALWAYS runs

I always carry tissues with me. It gets worse in the cold, when I'm eating, or in humidity. It has been this way since I can remember.
It interferes with my speech (runs back into my throat), how people see me, etc.
I'm extremely healthy.

Any suggestions?

Old 04-03-2004, 06:57 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Katyana HB User
Re: My nose ALWAYS runs

Sounds like you have allergies to something.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2004, 08:51 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kellie2 HB User

Mine does the same thing, too, and I don't have a single allergy and never have. I have no clue why my nose runs, but it started a few years ago and has just gotten progressively worse with time. It seems like I'm forever dabbing at my nose with a tissue, and yes, it's very irritating at times. There was a discussion on here awhile back about this and someone said it was simply post nasal drip and suggested I had allergies. No, I don't. Never have. And was even tested a couple years ago....nothing. So that's not why mine runs but I sure would like to find out how to stop it. Now, you may have allergies unless you know for sure that you don't, and maybe something over the counter can work for you. I have asthma and have to be careful of what I take so I don't think OTC meds are for me but may help you. Unless someone else out there can offer suggestions?

Old 04-03-2004, 10:30 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Dark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB User

My nose has been running for months now...I know it isn't from allergies (I am allergic to fresh-cut grass, so I can rule that out). I made a post similar to yours in the Colds and Flu section, and someone suggested that it might be a sinus infection. Perhaps the same holds true for you?

Dark Stranger

Old 04-04-2004, 03:05 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User

Stevetobias- ( and this might be of interest to kellie and dark stranger too)

STEVE- It sounds like you have what they call "rhinitis". It's simply a reaction that happens in either your eyes, nose or throat (or all three!) when airbourne irritants trigger histamine in your blood. Histamine causes inflammation and in your case, it sounds like the lining of your nose is inflamed, causing the running and dripping back into your throat.

Allergic rhinitis can be seasonal or perennial (throughout the year).
If you have true allergy, the causes could be pollen, dust mites, mold, animal dander.

But it sounds like you are more likely to be suffering from non-allergic vasomotor rhinitis.( "Vasomotor" relates to the nerves and muscles that cause the blood vessels to constrict or dilate).
Causes of nonallergic rhinitis include fumes, odors, TEMPERATURE CHANGES, ATMOSPHERIC CHANGES, smoke or other irritants.

Given that your symptoms seems worse in the cold, humidity, and while eating (when your body temp rises), seems like this may be the problem.

If it's driving you absolutely nuts, an ENT doc can help.

Hope this helps a little.

zuzu xx

Last edited by zuzu8; 04-04-2004 at 03:09 AM.

Old 04-04-2004, 12:17 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Also, consider a medication such as Singulair. It's a leucotrine inhibitor, works differently than an antihistamine and is very successful for that type of disorder.

Antihistamines can be used with it if you're going to be in a situation that may create an allergic reaction.

Do a search on it, write it down and ask your doctor about it. It has to be taken consistently, but see if it could be right for you and helpful in relieving your symmptoms.

quincy

Old 04-15-2004, 01:30 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

lori j HB User

Mine has been doing it lately too. Not everyday, but at least once a week. It doesn't matter if it's cold or warm outside or if I've even been outside. Do any of you get the burning sensation in your nose, like you do when you are going to sneeze? That's how mine starts, it then goes on for that whole day, just a watery drainage from my nose & down my throat, then by the next morning it is cleared up. I cannot figure out what triggers it. I do have allergies but have had them my whole life & it has just started this the past winter. Today I went shopping for groceries, everything was fine, was outside a bit after I got home & it was about 70 out. After I came in the house early this evening, it started again. I do have astelin spray from the ENT doc & also take benadryl when this starts, but it usually does not help. AFter I've slept, then usually it's gone the next day. It may happen once a week or more, there is no pattern to this. It's definitely weird & frustrating.

Old 04-15-2004, 11:23 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User

Mine runs quite a bit also. I do notice that it is worse in the Winter which is why I am happy it is spring. Part of mine seems to be triggered by my contact lenses. If my eyes are irritated from them then my nose will run all day. I always have to blow my nose right when I get out of a hot shower. I always thought that was what everybody did but in talking to others they can get right out and there nose is not running. There are days when I don't have to blow my nose all day but that is more in the summer and is actually pretty rare. I should check into that Singulair medication. Does it make your mouth dry also? I do not like the way cold medicine makes my mouth dry.

Old 04-16-2004, 02:44 PM   #9
Inactive

eightball61 HB User

I have a constant running nose also. Every where I go I I carry a tissue. If I go in the bank I bring one just in case. I went to the doctor and had some testing done. I wasn't allergic to anything nor did they capture anything wrong with my sinus's.

So what was wrong nothing...The doctor just said that I have a low breathing problem and I am one of those people that needs to breath out of my nose rather than my mouth for my main air support. Another words I have to a problem with stuff being in my nose so i constanley blow it.

I am just odd

Closed Thread