It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2004, 03:47 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Dark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB User
Pain in wrist

Sweet lord I come here asking about every little ache and pain I ever get...I think I'm becoming a hypochondriac XD

But yeah for the past two days or so I've had a pain in my wrist...the underside where all the veins and tendons and things are. It's not a terrible pain, but just a mild throbbing every so often and more often a subtle "burning" if you will.

I think it's because I've been playing a new video game for 2+ hours every day since Saturday. Any insight? (and no I'm not going to stop playing video games; they're a hobby)

Dark Stranger

Old 04-20-2004, 04:12 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User
Re: Pain in wrist

Sounds like carpal tunnel syndrome to me or the early stage. Do any of your fingers become numb?

CTS is no fun, so, you would be wise to allow wrists to rest for a while. Wear a wrist brace when playing the games and when sleeping.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2004, 04:34 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Dark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB User

No my fingers aren't numb, although sometimes I feel the throbbing sensation (more irritation than pain) about halfway up my forearm on the underside.

Can people my age even get carpal tunnel syndrome?? (Note: I'm 16). And why would this only be happening in one of my wrists? I use both my hands equally when I'm playing games and using the computer.

But thanks for your input, Marie55.

Dark Stranger

Old 04-20-2004, 07:26 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Hi,

I would say rather than carpal tunnel syndrome that it's a repetative strain injury. When using the computer, especially a mouse (either trackball or regular), it isolates smaller muscles and the larger muscles aren't there to "take up the slack". If this is your dominant hand, the strain can be two-fold.

I strongly suggest a wrist support when you sleep. There are some (that look like a spongy material that can accommodate any size hand and can be used while doing activities like computer. It's like a wrap and gives support evenly without restricting movement such as ones with a hard lower or upper support added.

Do you have a wrist support on your computer? Good idea, they're great. I have a curved keyboard with a natural wrist rest and it's helped me a lot. If you don't have one, invest in one. Then make sure your chair is high enough for your arms to be comfortable and that you can type at rest. Pull your chair in close enough to the computer so that they are close to your body. That takes the strain off your shoulders (which adds stress to your arms/wrists).

Icing your wrist at 10 minute intervals will help. There are wraps that you can keep in your freezer, but they don't freeze. A lifesaver.

Tylenol helps with the pain, but not inflammation. Aspirin on occasion when you're really inflammed and resting will take that aching away.

I can relate big time. My profession is hairstyling and in the past sign language interpreting. I did some damage, but because I have also neck and back problems.....there are times that the aching is atrocious. I see a chiro for adjustments (back, neck, shoulders, elbows, wrists, thumbs). A lifesaver!!

Oh, while sleeping and sitting watching TV, rest your affected arm on a pillow high enough that takes away the pain.

Massage may also work, but if you do it yourself, be very gentle. Maybe do a search on the internet for RSI massage, or repetative strain injury massage or repetative strain massage.

Hope you feel better and get back into fully-conditioned action soon!
quincy

Last edited by quincy; 04-20-2004 at 07:27 PM.

Old 04-21-2004, 03:52 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Hmm sounds logical, quincy. I don't know if this would help, but would stopping about every 10-15 minutes during gameplay and computer use and sort of "shake out" my wrists be of any help? I know I've been having to crack my wrists a lot to alleviate the pain, but something tell sme that's probably not really healthy.

But I shall try your suggestions, quincy (if and when I get some $$$).

Dark Stranger

Old 04-22-2004, 09:04 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Don't shake them..

Roll a small towel or a few face cloths or material to the correct size and wrap it with masking tape and that can work as a wrist support while you're waiting for $$$. You can play with that and adjust it to suit your needs.

Do a search for the exercises for repetative strain injury as I suggested for the massage.

There are trigger points that will also help. Shiatsu is another help. There are books at the library for RSI and Shiatsu.....check them out for they cost nothing. But if you DON'T deal with it, you could be out of commission for a while and the pain isn't worth it.

Get well,
quincy

Old 04-24-2004, 05:58 AM   #7

audreee HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by quincy
Hi,

I would say rather than carpal tunnel syndrome that it's a repetative strain injury. When using the computer, especially a mouse (either trackball or regular), it isolates smaller muscles and the larger muscles aren't there to "take up the slack". If this is your dominant hand, the strain can be two-fold.

I strongly suggest a wrist support when you sleep. There are some (that look like a spongy material that can accommodate any size hand and can be used while doing activities like computer. It's like a wrap and gives support evenly without restricting movement such as ones with a hard lower or upper support added.

Do you have a wrist support on your computer? Good idea, they're great. I have a curved keyboard with a natural wrist rest and it's helped me a lot. If you don't have one, invest in one. Then make sure your chair is high enough for your arms to be comfortable and that you can type at rest. Pull your chair in close enough to the computer so that they are close to your body. That takes the strain off your shoulders (which adds stress to your arms/wrists).

Icing your wrist at 10 minute intervals will help. There are wraps that you can keep in your freezer, but they don't freeze. A lifesaver.

Tylenol helps with the pain, but not inflammation. Aspirin on occasion when you're really inflammed and resting will take that aching away.

I can relate big time. My profession is hairstyling and in the past sign language interpreting. I did some damage, but because I have also neck and back problems.....there are times that the aching is atrocious. I see a chiro for adjustments (back, neck, shoulders, elbows, wrists, thumbs). A lifesaver!!

Oh, while sleeping and sitting watching TV, rest your affected arm on a pillow high enough that takes away the pain.

Massage may also work, but if you do it yourself, be very gentle. Maybe do a search on the internet for RSI massage, or repetative strain injury massage or repetative strain massage.

Hope you feel better and get back into fully-conditioned action soon!
quincy
umm..iv been experiencing the same thing..im 15..check out my other post please..but anyway..only problem is i used my right hand for mostly all the activities i do with the computer..but iv been having them in both my wrist..usually on the left..hows that? iv considered carpal tunnel syndrome to0.. ???

Old 03-31-2007, 04:37 PM   #8
(female)

Darcia HB User

lately i've been experiencing pain in my wrists. it is a throbbing almost burning pain from my left wrist to my sholder. also the veins in my left wrist swell and they stay that way until my wrist stops hurting

--(it hurts very badly...) but i have no idea what the heck this is...i'v looked up carpal tunnel and i dont think that i have it--or do i????

Last edited by Darcia; 04-01-2007 at 06:24 PM.

Closed Thread