It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2004, 07:55 AM   #1
Inactive

Sibelius19 HB User
Slight Numbness in half of my left hand and fingers!

I am very concerned about something. And maybe I shouldn't be. A few days ago I was using the computer. I was leaning on my left elbow while browsing the internet(don't remember how long), then after I picked it up I noticed my hand was numb(the whole thing...like when you jab your funny bone...and I think that's around where I was resting my elbow). I expected it to go away, but after a few minutes one side of my hand was still numb(the left side of my left hand...if my hand was face down). My pinkie and the one next to it(not sure technical name for it ). It has not gone away since that day . It is slight, but I mean, there must something going on. But I don't know what to look for and what to expect. It doesn't hurt when I clinch my wrist, it's not that it hurts. I just don't want it to turn into some chronich disorder. I also noticed that when I feel right below my wrist(on the underside of my arm) there's this little pocket of something. When I press down on it with my hand(other hand ofcourse) it feels almost like I'm squishing a soft pear or something. It's really close to the arm bone too(again, I don't know technical name). The little air pocket or whatever it is is on the same side as where I am still numb. So I figure it must have somthing to do with it. Could it be an irrated tendin? Does anyone have any idea what this could be?What do I do? I am only 21 and I play guitar, should I be fearful? Can someone please help. I would really appreciate it. Thanks

Last edited by Sibelius19; 05-25-2004 at 07:56 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2004, 08:25 AM   #2
Inactive

scotland79 HB User
Re: Slight Numbness in half of my left hand and fingers!

Hi there, what you have sounds like compression of a nerve at your elbow. this affects the ring and pinky finger, cant remember the name for it. I get this lots especially if i have been leaning on my elbow. I also get it when i wake up in the morning ive ive been lying funny. It usually goes away though. I really dont think its anything to worry about, but if its a nuisance go and let your doctor know. I think you have probably just irrated a nerve at the funny bone.

Old 05-25-2004, 08:54 PM   #3

tishea HB User

Ulnar nerve

Old 05-26-2004, 12:58 AM   #4
Inactive

scotland79 HB User

Thanks for that Tishea, yes its the ulnar nerve! sorry for the spelling mistakes in my post above!!!!

Old 05-26-2004, 02:24 AM   #5
(male)

janson HB User

This numbness should go away in some days and very probably there won't be any consequences at all. But if persists and if your hand is also weak there maybe you have ulnar entrapment syndrome. It's nothing urgent, you should rest the left arm for some time (weeks) and you should definitely change the position at the computer (I lean only on my forearms, elbows stay "in the air").
The lump in your wrist can be swollen tendons or synovial capsules of wrist joints which can put pressure on the same ulnar nerve as in elbow so it can contribute something to the numbness. It can be connected with playing a guitar. Rest of the wrist is the best option again. The operation (decompression)) would be necessary only if you would have constant problems (numbness, weaknes, pain in the hand) to prevent permanent nerve damage.

Last edited by janson; 05-26-2004 at 02:40 AM.

Old 07-09-2004, 11:33 AM   #6
Inactive

Sibelius19 HB User

Thanks for help guys. I have found what I have I think. Does "Cubital Tunnel Syndrome" sound right? I have been taking some B-Vitemans and Ibuprofin. And am resting my left arm more(stopped playing guitar for now). Do you think I will be ok? almost all of the numbness has gone away, but I can still detect some when I press my fingers over the area(ring and pinky fingers and part of my palm[in the same path as the fingers]).

Closed Thread