It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2004, 10:35 PM   #1
Inactive

jhamilton30 HB User
Exclamation Uncontrollable Panic Attacks HELP PLEASE!!!

I started having very severe panic attacks about 5 years ago. For almost a year I couldn't leave the house without freaking out. The only place I felt safe was at home. I would start shaking violently and felt like I was suffocating. I started having them after I almost choked to death on french fries. I am serious!
Now I have been panic attack free for almost 3 years probably and I think they are coming back for no reason. Nothing has happened to me to cause them to start again. At least this time I think they are panic attacks.
Driving down the road to the grocery store I had one and could barely drive. I started to panic and think of ways to get somewhere safe in a parking lot somewhere so I could calm down, and all I could think about was dying.
It only lasted a few short minutes. My pulse sped up to what felt like 200 plus beats a minute and like someone put a plastic bag over my face. every breath I took it felt like hot air and I couldn't breathe. After it stopped I was shaking so badly when I stopped at the stoplight I had to put my car in park because I didn't have the strength to hold down the brake.
Now over the past few weeks I have had gas in my stomach, sometimes my stomach has a mild burning kind of like acid indigestion.
Tonight at the grocery store with my son it felt like someone was squeezing my chest and I couldn't breathe. And I had a dull ache in the center of my chest for just a minute or two but that went away. I didn't have a full blown panic attack but I was scared that I couldn't breathe, my upper chest felt very constricted and tight. Is this a panic attack or is there something else wrong. I can't live like this, I can't relive those horrible panic attacks again if this is what they are.
Can anyone relate to how I feel? I need support so badly. HELP!
I can't afford to go to the doc right now either.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2004, 11:00 PM   #2
(male)

bogmallo HB User
Re: Uncontrollable Panic Attacks HELP PLEASE!!!

Panic attacks do have a habit of coming back. But the fact theat you can recognise it as a panic attack is half the cure by itself. Try to analyse what triggers it. In my case panic attacks usually get triggered by Depresssion, lack of sleep and acidity. If any of these things happen the panic attack comes on.

Since you have had pa in the past you will have to draw upon your experience to ride it out.

Take car

Old 06-07-2004, 11:24 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

lori j HB User

I just replied to your other thread, the panic attacks may be coming back cause you are so worried about your stomach problems, but my best suggestion would be to have your stomach problems checked out to see exactly what it is to relieve your mind. Even if it is a bleeding ulcer, they are quite easy to treat if you don't let it go too long. If left to go too long, then sometimes they have to do surgery, so get it checked out while you can still be treated with medicine. I had two ulcers, they weren't bleeding but caused me horrible pain, double over pain & mine were treated with prescription strength pepcid which had to be taken several times daily, no missing doses & a milder diet.
You'll feel better once you get it checked out. I lived with the ulcer pain for about 9 months thinking that anything that hurt that bad had to be fatal, so I resisted going to the doctor. When he said ulcers I could have hugged him.

Old 06-08-2004, 08:49 PM   #4
Inactive

jhamilton30 HB User

Thank you all for your posts.
Could this affect the pressure feeling I am having in my back. I don't remember this ever happening when I had panic attacks before.
Just like tonight in between my shoulder blades it feels like pressure and also feels like my back needs to be popped at the same time.
My doctor told me before this could be allergies. Has anyone ever heard of that?
I am such a hypo, I am so sorry just being able to leave posts and have someone to talk to really helps.
I have been under a lot of stress lately too.
Thanks again everyone for your reply

Old 06-09-2004, 07:31 AM   #5

karingbird HB User

Dear jhamilton30,
I was having such bad panic attacks I was getting scared to drive. Strange thoughts would run through my head like a merry go round non stopping. Like "what if I have a heart attack...how will I get my kids out of the van...what if I run into a tree...what if I black out...what if I run into someone else..." it drove me crazy...all the time, I had horrible pain behind my left shoulder blade. And sometimes it felt like I had a blood pressure cuff around my neck and my head was getting so big. I tried the chiropractor, and I even whet to a cardiologist. I was finally put on Prozac, of course. But that just made me numb. Anyways after about a year going to different doctors...I was told I had fibromayalgia. In my quest to find out what that was...I learned what I actually had was an overgrowth of Candida Yeast in my body...making a MESS of my body. Then I found ThreeLac...an all natural supplement, so safe!! And I am off Prozac (after only about 4 days) and have not had ONE panic attack since January!! I feel like a new person. Not just me, but I have severl brother and sisters with similiar problems...and they have all been Panic Attack free!! ThreeLac has also relieved me of that pain in my shoulder blade...and all my chest pains...plus a ton of other symptoms! I hope you will give ThreeLac a try...you won't regret it!

sincerely

Karingbird

Old 06-10-2004, 11:16 AM   #6
Inactive

jhamilton30 HB User

What is TreeLac? Can you get it at any regular drugstore or like a walmart?
Is it a vitamin or what?
Thank you, I will definitely try it.

Old 06-10-2004, 12:55 PM   #7

zimnah HB User

you made a comment about chest pain, and again about a pain or pressure in your back between your shoulder blades, and also about your stomach...I wouls suggest getting your gallbladder checked. That can really hurt, it can almost feel like a heart attack...also, hiatal hernia's feel about the same. I had my gallbladder removed when I was 20, and now am in the process of scheduling surgery for a severe hiatal hernia (this is the hernia where part of your stomach actually pops into your esophagus...hurts to breathe. My hands turn cold and clammy, my heart races, and I turn pasty white.). I know you said you cannot aford a doctor right now...is there perhaps a free or a pay-what-you're-able type of clinic nearby? There is one here in Pennsylvania called Redi-Care. I found it in the yellow pages.
Hope you find out what it is.
Zimmie

Old 06-10-2004, 01:42 PM   #8

scottskitty HB User

defintely sounds like a panic attack to me. what helps me is writing down how i feel and that i'll be ok.

Old 06-14-2004, 06:10 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

dreamer89 HB User

panic attacks I have had them before once when I thought I was going to choke on some food I had, anyway these attacks can be percipitated by a false suffocation alarm, too much co2 in the blood from shallow breathing or holding one's breath inadvertedly. this triggors the body's defenses, I get anxiety attacks which are a lesser form of panic attacks and what helps me is medication a strong antihistamine (I kid you not)

and I do deep breathing I sit or lay there and try to take normal breaths and try to relax all my muscls and divert my mind to other things I enjoy, and work on giving the breating controls back to the body for it to normalize, I found that trying to take deep breaths only causes you to consciously force the air and you end up oxygenated too much and this can cause the body to perceive a problem there too.

second I debliberatly divert my mind to something else with the idea I forget about the breathing and after a while of training you learn to decrease the time it takes to divert your mind giving the breathing back over to the body and thus the alarm is quenched.

I would think that by training yourself to do that and trust the bodyto normalize breathing and shut off the suffocation alarm that you can practice until it becomes second nature and then you can use it to gradually expose yourself to various situations that might cause an attack and concentrate on that training and thus fear is controlled after experienceing the control you have through practice practice and gradually exposing yourself to various degrees of fearful things that training alone will help you have confidence that if you start to feel paniky you know you have the tools to stop them and get back to enjoying what you were doing.

that you can use your training of breathing consicously relaxing you muscles (you can't be fearful and relaxed at the same time) you build up your confidence.

HOpe this helps.

RR

Old 06-14-2004, 07:41 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User

Oh those darn "what if" are so unnerving. I've had them to , what will happen to my kids if I have a heart attack right here? Will someone kidnap them if I'm slumped over the car wheel, If I'm having a PA will my kids get out of the car and get hit by another car, gezzz it never ceased to amaze me what my head could dream up. I've had panic attacks since I was in my 20's, now I'm in my 50's, kids are grown so that worry isn't right in my face, now it turns to what if they have a house fire will they and my grandkids be able to get out, what if they crash their car. I'm forever reminding them to buckle up, don't put furniture near the heater, drive defensivly and on and on to the point i'm sure they switch off their hearing to my fears. I've been in "remission" on and off for all these years sometimes for 5 yrs at atime but I could never pin point what would get them going again, so I just hung in there for the duration. Now I take xanax to ward off the big ones and it really helps. I've had all the symptoms, chest pain and tightness, pain in middle of the back between the shoulder blades, head ache(I was sure were aneurysims, since they run rampant in my family) on and on and we seem to get through them. I'd get the meds to help break the cycle a bit to calm down, but really they sometimes come back for no apparent reason.

Last edited by NancyH; 06-14-2004 at 07:44 PM.

Old 06-15-2004, 10:29 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)

dreamer89 HB User

I forgot to mention too when I had a bad panic attack a few years ago my doctor suggested since I have a history of high blood pressure that it maybe whatever is causing it to spike may be causeing the attacks so he gave me an antianxiety drug for short term it really helped, and I would take it only occassionally, having it there was a comfort since I knew if I couldn't succeed in calming my self down then I would take the pill.

lot's of times I wouldn't take it because I would try my way first.

RR

Old 06-16-2004, 12:51 AM   #12
Inactive
(female)

hanelo4 HB User

Hi hun

First, I am sorry you are going through this. I also suffer from panic attacks and they are nothing nice. Many people here suffer from them and there is a lot of support here so you came to the right place. I just want to say that when my attacks first started, I had that burning in my stomach and it makes my chest feel real tight. The doctor diagnosed me with having gastritis. It especially acts up real bad when I drink coke or eat fried foods. It could also be an ulcer. I think someone else mentioned that here too. I've had both and they both have about the same symptoms. Try some pepcid over the counter. Of course, ask your doctor first. He may want to prescribe you something else, but my doctor told me that pepcid was good for ulcers and it also helps my gastritis. I still suffer every now and then, but not nearly as much as before. I was extremely nauseated when it first started. I hope this helps. Good luck.

Chantel

Old 06-16-2004, 09:28 AM   #13

bbear HB User

Hello...I honestly could have written your story myself! I started to have panic attacks at age 20! I had no clue what was going on with me..I saw Doc after Doc...All I heard was I was young I was healthy......it was all in my head! Finally after not leaving my house for two years...I felt there had to be some kind of answer to this....I honestly did not want to be left alone! In fear of freaking out.....I cost my husband two jobs....for calling and pleading to please come be with me.....I had to find help.....The panic attacks brought on upset stomachs...head aches......blurred vision! I saw a GP.....she was really nice about my problems...she sat and listened to my every word.....She ran some test.......just to rule out problems......Finally she told me I was having panic attacks!!!! She put me on XANAX...I was 23 yrs old at the time! I was on 4 mg per day! I'm 42 yrs old now...and yes I'm still on XANAX....(so many say this is horrible drug) It gave me my life back.....Yes its very habit forming....but after starting it...I'm now and have been for quite some time...been able to function! I can understand how you feel........Talk to your Doc ........There is hope for Panic Attacks!
Best of Luck!

Old 06-16-2004, 08:47 PM   #14

DeAnnaV HB User

i posted in the heart disorder section....and yes i relate go see it...i was completely paralyized ....couldn't move or talk....its horrible and no one understands it either...i have fybromalgia too also

Old 06-23-2004, 07:02 AM   #15

SpookyKid15 HB User

Yes, panic attacks sometimes come back for no reason at all. I started having panic attacks after using meth a few months ago and had about 3 attacks and that's been it..But there have been a lot of times where I've felt on the verge of an attack and my breathing becomes kind of wheezing-like, or so i think. and my chest will hurt a little. But I finally went and saw a psychiatrist and he prescribed me adavan...a medication that when taken at the start of a panic attack stops the attack completely. it's helped me twice, and i haven't had to take it more than that. You should really check that out..seeing a psychiatrist helped me, and knowing that i always have something with me to stop the attack if it happens helps a lot. good luck

Closed Thread