It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2004, 06:27 PM   #1
(female)

snooter76 HB User
Lightbulb Granuloma Annulare

I have just been diagnosed with this disorder about 2 weeks ago. It is a skin conditon and no one really knows why these ring-shaphed lesions begin to appear on your body. I have read that diabetes has something to do with it and that your thyroid gland could also play a part. I had by blood sugar tested and it came be at 98 so we know that that is not the problem. I am not waiting on the results of the thyroid testing. The doctor told me that if it is not my thyroid then she doesnt know what is causing them. There is no treatment and the lesions may go away on their own, but it can take years. If there is anyone out there that has this or knows any more about it please let me know, I would appreciate it.

Old 06-12-2004, 03:53 PM   #2

uchimama HB User
Re: Granuloma Annulare

I HAVE THIS!! I just posted a few days ago. I have strange bumps on my hands. They don't itch but if I hit them on something they HURT bad. My family dr. said I had shingles and sent me for tests. I didn't have the tests because I knew it wasn't shingles. I went to the derm. and he admitted he wasn't sure what they were so he did a biopsy. Two weeks later he called and told me it was Granuloma Annulare. I looked it up on the net and they had pics of the same bumps I have. They also had pics of the same thing but it has many different types, I guess. Anyway, the derm. gave me a 'script for some cream CLOBETASOL PROPIONATE CREAM USP, 0.05%. He said it was a high steriod/cortizone. I use this twice a day. I've been using it for three days now and they do seem to be getting smaller. At one point I had 11 of them, 5 being in a big cluster on top of my left hand. I also read that it is associated with diabetes but I don't have blood sugar problems. They also say people with G.A. usually have cold hands and feet. I do have that. I hope this helps. I'm glad I'm not the only one out there. Good Luck.

Last edited by uchimama; 06-12-2004 at 03:55 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2004, 02:21 PM   #3

angel333 HB User

The website for Penn State Medical Center says that it may be related to a skin trauma or sun exposure. There is another site that says it may come along when the immune system is compromised. All of the sites I seen say there is no known cause, and that people with this disorder may be prone to diabetes, not necessarily already have it. Steroid creams appear to be the only treatment at this time. And try to boost the immune system.

Old 06-17-2004, 04:23 AM   #4

uchimama HB User

The bumps are going away slowly...I've been using the cream for over a week now. I'm still embarrassed for anyone to notice my hands though.

Old 06-28-2004, 12:34 PM   #5

harleebb HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by snooter76
I have just been diagnosed with this disorder about 2 weeks ago. It is a skin conditon and no one really knows why these ring-shaphed lesions begin to appear on your body. I have read that diabetes has something to do with it and that your thyroid gland could also play a part. I had by blood sugar tested and it came be at 98 so we know that that is not the problem. I am not waiting on the results of the thyroid testing. The doctor told me that if it is not my thyroid then she doesnt know what is causing them. There is no treatment and the lesions may go away on their own, but it can take years. If there is anyone out there that has this or knows any more about it please let me know, I would appreciate it.
Hi,

I have had this skin disorder for about 5 years now. It started on my hands. My feet and thighs are now covered with small clusters. I use the steriod cream on my hands at night and cover the area with a "glove" while I sleep. Eventually the lesions go away but as soon as I stop "my treatment" they come right back. I can't do this on my feet and thighs because there is not enough cream in the world to cover the areas. It is very upsetting at times. People keep asking me what is wrong with my hands. I never wear shorts anymore. I have heard they CAN go away but mine have just gotten worse. Good luck and I am sorry to hear you were diagnosed with this.

Lee

Old 06-28-2004, 04:11 PM   #6
(female)

snooter76 HB User

Thanks for the reply. I do not have the clusters, I have the big spots. I have been using a steriod cortizone cream now for 3 weeks but they just dont seem to be going away. I will not wear shorts outside of my apartment. I have had another small lighter spot to show up on my left arm about a week ago. The other spots are very dark and are large.

Old 06-28-2004, 04:29 PM   #7
(female)

snooter76 HB User
Lightbulb Re: Granuloma Annulare

uchimama, I have the large spots that are very dark. About a week ago I had one to show up on my left arm, but it is small and lighter. My derm also said that i had this disorder. I am using a cream called TRIAMCINOLONE ACETONIDE 0.5%, but it doesnt seem to be clearing making the spots go away, or making the ones that are dark-lighter. I had my blood suger tested and it come back as 98 and the doctor said tha was good so i do not have sugar problems. I have also read where it can be due to thyorid problems i am waiting to hear back from the doctor on the results on that testing. I am glad to see that I am not the only one out there that has this. Just wish there was something could do to get rid of the spots/clusters faster.

Old 06-29-2004, 05:18 AM   #8

harleebb HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by snooter76
Thanks for the reply. I do not have the clusters, I have the big spots. I have been using a steriod cortizone cream now for 3 weeks but they just dont seem to be going away. I will not wear shorts outside of my apartment. I have had another small lighter spot to show up on my left arm about a week ago. The other spots are very dark and are large.
Snooter...

The steriod cream only works if I apply it and then wrap the area at night when I go to sleep. I only do this on my hands. I apply the steriod cream a little "thicker" than normal and then I wrap the area in ordinary kitchen plastic wrap. It takes a few weeks but it seems to work. I haven't told my doctor that I do the wrap but ... it is working so why stop doing it? The only bad thing is that once the areas have seemed to clear up and I stop the application they pop up again. Oh well...it's a vicious cycle but it does keep my hands fairly clear and I don't get the "what's wrong with your hands" question. You would think they could figure out how to "cure" this....

Old 02-03-2005, 11:09 PM   #9
(female)

katyfreeway HB User

this has to be the most embarrsing problem that I have ever had to face. the derm has put me on this 16 day predisone treatment. 'I just started today" my mother said it will make me gain alot of wait, as well as more side effects that could happen. I have been using a cream for the last 2 weeks, big deal, It doesn't seem to do anything
except make me cry because I have to look at these disgusting red marks as I put it on. my legs are covered, now creeping down my feet. it was all over my back, but they started fadeing and hardly noticable,"looks like lite freckles now" they are on my arms and now going down my hand. thank god it's winter. I don't know what the hell I'm gonna do come summer. I work outside w/ shorts and sleeveless shirts.
any of you girls/ladies that can relate and have any suggestions, I'm open. willing and listening. signed miserable in Tennessee.

Old 03-15-2005, 08:41 AM   #10
(female)

dianeinpa HB User

Katyfreeway,
Hi I too am suffering with GA. It is the most embarrassing thing I have had to deal with in my life. I had adult acne and would welcome that back as opposed to having GA. I don't know what I will do come summer either. I have been to a dermatolgest. My family doc did all kinds of liver test and they where normal. This diease seems to lead to the subject Diabetes. Well my sugar test where normal. But I feel far from normal. I can hide my arms but my hands are there for all to see. I have been thinking about following a diabetic diet to see if that could help. It is really hard to keep a on my face when I feel I have some kind of plague that is messing with my sanity. Hope to hear from you.

Old 03-15-2005, 08:01 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

lovemygrandma HB User

I had those all over my back in Dec. 1997. They stayed for about a month and went away on there own. I have had my thyroid checked and it's okay, however, I was diagnosed with sugar in 2001. I haven't had the red raised rings since. LMG

Old 05-15-2005, 01:07 PM   #12
(female)

wwitch HB User

Hi there

I too have GA and have had it for the past 14 years (with the exception of the period when I was pregnant when it disappeared completely only to resurfact with avengeance 2 weeks after I gave birth). My GA covers my entire body with the exception of my face and hands with the marks growing to up to 3inches in diameter.

I have tried all of the normal treatments - steroid cream, Trental, Progesterone cream, PUVA treatment, accupuncture, herbal remedies, chinese medicine and some of the more unusual - Apple Cider Vinegar ....

The Steroid cream has thinned my skin in places and I would advise caution with this - from what I have read it does not generally provide a lasting solution to GA

The Trental, Progesterone and Apple Cider Vinegar did nothing for me.

The PUVA treatment did appear to clear up my skin but again it was not a lasting solution.

Since the start of the year I have been following a detox diet plan and not only do I feel much better in myself but my skin is all but cleared up. I think that it is down to an intolerance of some description and initial indications are that it may be cheese/dairy.

Indeed when I went to see the accupuncturist (about 7 years ago) - his thought then was that it was caused by dairy and I did nothing about it!

My belief is that there is a cure out there for all sufferers although it is generally a case of trial and error. I also believe that it is caused by an imbalance within your body so creams and potions used externally will not generally help long term.

Hope this helps

wwitch

Old 06-19-2006, 07:34 PM   #13
(female)

lilthunder HB User

I have had a really bad rash on my forearms for about a year now. My doctor first thought it was an allergic reaction to something. It now looks like my arms have been scalded and small rings around the edges. That is as far as it went, so I thought it may have been a chemical burn from using sealer on the deck while being in the sun.

About a month ago I sunbathed a couple days and then used a tanning bed. My shoulders started breaking out with a rash and a couple rings. Then my chest got a few rings, which have multiplied, it is on my upper arms and spread down my back and a couple places on my legs.

It didn't affect any where other than my forearms, until I was exposed to the sun this year. I worked in the public, of all things showing jewelry and had to reach into cases with mirrors and lights. It was so imbarracing when my sleaves would come up and people looked at me like they were wondering if this thing was contagious. I quit my job a few weeks ago, I wasn't able to make myself wear short sleeves and it was getting too warm to continue to wear long. I thought the arm breakout was bad enough, but now it is spreading all over me.

I got the results of the biopsy, June 23 and it is GA. The Dermatoligist said he had not seen such a reaction as what is on my arms. He gave me samples of a lotion called Clobex and told me to use it on my arms only. It has gotten to the point that I would have to bathe in the stuff to get all the areas affected. I guess I should be thankful that it isn't something worse.

The lotion seems to make my arms look a little better but not well, by far. I am going to try a high alkaline diet and see if that helps, it can't hurt. Besides the Clobex, I am going to try some vitamin E on some of the areas and some elicina on others to see if one of those makes a difference. Believe me I have enough areas to test on.

I feel for everyone with this thing and wish you the best of luck.

Last edited by lilthunder; 07-11-2006 at 03:57 PM.

Old 02-27-2008, 06:34 PM   #14
(female)

karebair HB User

wwitch, what is your detox plan? I was diagnosed a few days ago with granuloma annulare and would like more info on how to detox. thanks!

Old 03-17-2008, 05:07 PM   #15
(female)

ccc721 HB User

I too would like to know the diet detox plan. I have had GA for almost 20years and have tried creams, and injections. The creams didn't work, and the injections only last a month or two before the GA came back. I had three pregnancies where the GA completely disappeared, but came back after birth. I also took iron supplements for anemia a while back and that made them disappear, but now it doesn't even touch them. I went to my dermatologist today and she said that my GA was too extensive to do the injections anymore. She is in the process of sending me to someone else to try the PUVA or oral meds. I don't want to take corticosteriods, and the GA seems to get worse with sun and tanning beds. So I am now at a loss, and just want to look normal. My GA is on my feet and legs, and I have a new spot on my hand. I was told the GA would go away in 10 years, but that didn't happen. I am willing to try anything to get rid of this.

Closed Thread