It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2004, 12:37 PM   #1
peejee

Unhappy Painful lumps underneath my skin- Any help?

Hi, I wonder if anyone could help.

I'm a 22yr old male and about 18 months ago I became very ill with a chronic stomach dissorder called Gastroparesis. To cut a long story short my stomach can only take small amounts of food and even then I suffer badly with symptoms of sickness, bloating, loss of appetite etc.

Throghout this illness I have lost 3 stones (45lbs). Before the illness I was an athlete. I ate a large, good quality, balanced diet and had a muscular physique. Since this illness began I have had to stop working out, I no longer eat quality food. My diet now consits of high calorie foods that give me enough energy to keep going.

The problem is, I have lost all my muscle tone and it's been replaced with hard fat lumps underneath the skin varying in size and shape. The worst parts are around my chest, my biceps, my stomach but it's pretty much everywhere I had muscle. The lumps are very painful when I poke or squeeze them.

Is this just fat and if so why is it so lumpy and painful and not like other fat that just feels like jelly? Or is it muscle that's broken down?

Any help please???

Old 06-11-2004, 05:11 PM   #2

Belkin HB User
Re: Painful lumps underneath my skin- Any help?

Sounds like muscle has broken down. This happens in elderly people sometimes. See your doctor for proper diagnosis, especially since the lumps are sore.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2004, 07:13 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Dear Maggie HB User
what else?

I don't know about these particular lumps, but I have heard of lumps under the skin in different areas that were signs of lymphoma. Often from a chemical exposure

I have also heard of stomach problems ... & since the pancreas makes some digestive enzymes (juices?), could there be a pancreas problem, maybe even an autoimmune pancreas problem?

I'm so sorry to hear of this. Do you also have any other symptoms, like fatigue, and if so, when did it start?

Ask for the 'retic ratio' as if you have too many immature red blood cells it may be indicative of an exposure to a chemical such as 2-butoxyethanol.

Do you have any other symptoms similar to 'gulf war syndrome' (That's what I believe this chemical would cause) For sure this chemical, which is common place in our society, causes a lot of harm & you would have other things the matter too. (check size and shape of red blood cells) Has anyone indicated that you have thick, dark blood when taking a sample of blood?

Loss of appetite? Could that be from liver concerns?

What did you do differently when these symptoms showed up?
What kind of work do you do?

Sounds like you need a good doctor - & the doc would most likely need to do a biopsy to know what this is, unless they have other tests for it

Last edited by Dear Maggie; 06-12-2004 at 07:48 AM.

Old 06-12-2004, 07:22 AM   #4
peejee

Dear Maggie, thanks for your great help and concern.

Can you tell me any more about this? These lumps are many in number but really do feel like bits of muscle. When I get hold of one between my fingers it's very painful and I can bring up a bruise if I squeeze too hard. It does feel like bits of muscle mixed with fat!!! Can you explain it to me any further? Many thanx, friend!

Last edited by Administrator; 07-10-2012 at 06:58 PM.

Old 06-12-2004, 07:43 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Dear Maggie HB User
check this post

[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?p=1055422#post1055422[/url]
Restated:

Hair loss is a sign of too much of a chemical exposure of some kind.

I've read a couple of your posts & suggest that you have many signs that could be the package of 'gulf war syndrome' symptoms. Same as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome if you look at the definition closely

The hard to find fatigue is compensated hemolytic anemia and I suspect the chemical 2-butoxyethanol. You must identify the exposure to this chemical in any and all products and STOP EXPOSURE IMMEDIATELY By any chance have you been cleaning up any oil spills?

Often people can pinpoint the day the debilitating fatigue started. Eyes burn, urine turns dark, flu-like symptoms and FATIGUE.

Ask doctor to do the absolute 'retic' ratio and to check size and shape of red blood cells, do differentials with the complete blood counts;

note what the absolute cell count says (this is supposed to be part of a routine blood test)

Search internet for more info

Last edited by Dear Maggie; 06-12-2004 at 07:45 AM.

Old 06-14-2004, 04:54 PM   #6

soccermom13 HB User

I was wondering if you found out any more info on your lumps. I too have sore lumps under skin. I can run my hand over my skin and find lumpy areas. Its in my arms, legs abdomen, chest and so on. They are sore in general, but really sore when I rub them. I am extremely tired also. Sometimes I have muscle twitches and I feel as my muscles are week. I've looked at a number of different muscle related illnesses, but have found nothing that talks about the lumpiness. Very frustrating.

Last edited by soccermom13; 06-14-2004 at 04:55 PM.

Old 06-14-2004, 05:20 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Dear Maggie HB User
tired? check for too many immature red blood cells

For fatigue and a lot of odd symptoms have you checked into CFS or CFIDS or gulf war syndrome? These could all have the same cause of fatigue that doctors don't seem to be able to locate

check some of my other posts on this topic

Some of these have had lumps under their skin, too;
see what your absolute cell count is (checking how white blood counts are doing)

and get the 'retic count' If that is out of line other tests, such as liver, may be, too

Closed Thread