It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2004, 11:51 AM   #1

CrazyCatLady HB User
Dissolvable stitches?

I had surgery on my foot three weeks ago tomorrow (Tuesday). My surgeon had to take bone from my hip for a bone graft.

I was told that I had dissolvable stitches in every incision except for the one in my heel. I'm guessing this includes the stitches in my hip incision.

I have no idea what dissolvable stitches are supposed to look like. I'm having a hard time seeing my incision to be able to tell if anything is dissolving yet. All I can do is feel it. It feels like the stitches are microscopic and some of them feel like they might be fraying or sticking out a few millimeters. Also, the incision has flattened out a lot on one side.

Has anyone had dissolvable stitches and, if so, what was your experience with them?

Thanks!

Old 06-14-2004, 05:08 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User
Re: Dissolvable stitches?

Dissolveable stitches are generally white in color, similiar to that of thick thread. It can take some time for them to "dissolve". Some in fact do not dissolve completely but instead break and fester to the top of the skin and out. They do frey as you mentioned. Sometimes they will cause what looks like a white pimple under the scar as they rise to the top.

I've had them many times and yet to have them once just disappear, in fact, after a shoulder surgery some years ago I had one fester it way out a year after the surgery.
As long as your incision is not swollen and bright red you should be ok.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread