It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2004, 07:07 AM   #1

SpookyKid15 HB User
Choking while eating?

Well this has been going on for awhile..whenever my mom eats certain things (we've noticed burritos, bread, um...can't think of anything else at the moment) she sometimes ends up feeling like she's choking..or like she has to vomit. After she burps a few times or gets up and walks around she's fine, but she refuses to go to the doctor and it scares me. She said something about my grandfather having something similar and they had to stick a pipe/hose like thing down his throat to fix it and she's afraid to have that done. does anyone know what might be causing this or what it is? any help would be appreciated

Old 06-23-2004, 07:44 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

twanger HB User
Re: Choking while eating?

It sounds like she has strictures from acid reflux. It occurs after years of having the acid. Many people have to have their esophagus dilated. And, sometimes getting on a drug like previcid, nexium, or one of the others, the condition should improve. She needs to see her doctor and get one of these drugs and watch her diet in order to cut down on her acid production.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-23-2004, 08:59 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

Your mom could be having esophagus spasms while eating certain foods. Have her try drinking very warm/hot drink along with her meals to help keep esophagus muscles relaxed. I have a problem with nuts and some other foods. My m-i-l had a problem and a hot drink helped a great deal.

Old 06-23-2004, 04:07 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

Sunlover HB User

Could be what twanger said or also an esophageal ring - the rings aren't serious and nothing has to be done unless your mom is being bothered so much that she WANTS something done. My dad just was diagnosed with a ring but it's not too bad (yet) - I don't know if they get worse or not.

Also what Marie said - these things wold occur with really hard to swallow foods like bread like that - or pretzels!

Old 06-23-2004, 05:47 PM   #5

merlot1 HB User

I highly recommend that your mom see her doctor and tell him/her the symptoms. She may need to have a modified barium swallow (which is basically an x-ray taken of the larynx and pharynx while eating and drinking; it allows a speech pathologist to rule out whether a patient is showing any aspiration/penetration) or a barium swallow study (which assesses esophageal function while drinking). The doctor may also suggest dilating the esophagus in order to let food pass, which I believe was already posted in this thread. Hope everything turns out well!

Closed Thread