It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2004, 12:39 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

subway13 HB User
Angry night sweats! GRR!!!! I'm so sick!!

I keep getting these HORRIBLE night sweats! I'm only 21! Is there ANYTHING I can do to get rid of them!? I've been so sick with mononuecleosis, but it's been about 6 weeks and it should be going away by now! I wake up completely weak and just feeling soooooo yucky cuz I've lost so much water! By the time I start feeling better it's time to go to bed again. I've had so many tests and everything comes back fine except the mono, I feel like I'm dying! I really think something is wrong with me besides the mono!! Has anyone felt like this before?? I'm so weak I have to walk like a hunch back soooo slow. I can NOT get this gross metal taste out of my mouth/throat, I'm so hungry but wheN I eat I just feel full and yucky, I'm shakey and my eyes even feel like they are shaking, it's hard to focus them on ONE thing. I have the little spots that are sign of Leukemia but my CBC came back normal so it can't be that. I'm on antibiotics for a sinus infection but it's been 4 days and I'm just feeling worse. My fingernails are getting weak and soft when they were getting so strong a while ago. I feel like i just want to lay on the floor and die! Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!!

Old 06-23-2004, 03:46 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

twizliz HB User
Re: night sweats! GRR!!!! I'm so sick!!

It could be the antibiotics reacting with the mono. When I had mono I also had strep and the antibiotics can cause a reaction. What are you on?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-23-2004, 03:52 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

goody2shuz HB Usergoody2shuz HB User

Did you mention the night sweats to your MD? I've had mono twice and that was not what I experienced...however, night sweats have been attributed to Hodgkin's Disease and you mentioned the spots that concerned you about Leukemia...mono leaves you open to other infections so keep the lines of communication open with your MD. If yo continue feeling this way insist taht your MD look further into it...Goody

Old 06-23-2004, 04:47 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

subway13 HB User

I was on zithromax, it was a 3 day dose of 500mg that keeps working for 10 days, I'm done taking it but it doesn't feel like it's been working. My last CBC was in May, so maybe I'll go get another one this week

Old 06-23-2004, 07:40 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

subway13, I highly recommend that you be tested for Lyme disease and Babesiosis. These are diseases transmitted from the bite of an infected tick. It is very important to see a knowledgeable doctor because many doctors do not run the best tests.

Your symptoms sound very much like Lyme to me (I have it). Zithromax is one antibiotic that is used to treat Lyme. Ofen, when people with Lyme take antibitics their symptoms may become worse or they may get new ones. The antibiotics are killing the bacteria, which release toxins, making them feel worse. It is very scary when it happens, but it is a good sign the antibiotics are working. This is known as the Jarisch-Herxheimer Reaction (herx).

Night sweats are a major symptom of the tickborne co-infection Babesiosis. It is similar to malaria, and needs to be treated with a combination of antibiotics (usually Zithromax) and an anti-malarial (such as Mepron).

Where do you live? If you want a doctor recommendation for your area, let me know. I will share any info that I have for your area.

Old 06-23-2004, 09:04 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

subway13 HB User

OK now that makes sense! I had a weird looking bug bite with a white ring around it about a week ago and my friend mentioned Lyme disease, so we looked it up and I guess it's a red ring around a tick bite so we didnt' think of it again. I know we have ticks here (in utah) but I haven't really been out in the feilds or anything, would I have felt the tick or been able to see it in me? Or can they just bite? I guess I'll go to my MD with a list of tests to run hehe I'm sure he'll be thrilled about that

Old 06-24-2004, 05:48 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

subway13, only about 50% of people who have Lyme disease ever get a rash, and there are many different types of Lyme rashes. If you still have it or if it comes back, it is a good idea to photograph it. Before photographing it, place a coin or ruler near it to give size definition. That way you have evidence of it if needed later.

Ticks can be found anywhere. More than 75% of Lyme cases are contracted on residential properties. Ticks inject a numbing agent so you cannot feel them crawling on you. They will drop off after feeding.

It is very important to see a knowledgeable doctor--there are only a handful in the country. Unfortunately, I do not know of any in Utah. Equally important is that your blood is tested by a reputable Lyme lab such as IgeneX lab in Palo Alto, CA. See if your doctor would consider using this lab. Quest lab is inferior for Lyme testing. Make sure you are tested for all of the co-infections: Babesiosis, Ehrlichiosis (HME & HGE), Bartonella, and Mycoplamsa.

Let me know how it goes okay?

Old 06-25-2004, 11:06 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

subway13 HB User

Thanks I'll let you know

Old 06-25-2004, 06:50 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)