It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2004, 05:58 PM   #1
Veteran

monarchangel HB User
Constant Nausea

Does anyone know what can cause nausea. My doctor told me it was stress, but I am not convinced. I don't have any food allergies or anything like that. I live on pepto bismal and gas aids. I am always bloated and gassy. Does anyone know what can cause extreme nausea that lasts 24-7??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-24-2004, 06:56 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

Sunlover HB User
Re: Constant Nausea

So you did see a doctor? Did he do any tests? He is right, stress CAN do that! Two years ago I was so bad I went from 133 pounds to 110 in 1 and a half months! (and I am 5'6" so I looked pretty bad!) I got to the point I just couldn't eat at all! It was all from worry and stress of a health problem that wasn't even serious - just such an obsession that I couldn't even function. Are you "gagging" at all? I'd do that too, because the nausea was just SO bad. And if you aren't eating, that will just keep making it worse. The doctor told me to eat, even if it took me 2 hours to get down a piece of toast! Also Italian Ices helped a lot! How much are you eating a day and how much WERE your eating prior to this problem? After I started listeing to the doctor I slowly got better, but it took 3 or 4 months to return to normal.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-24-2004, 08:48 AM   #3
Veteran

monarchangel HB User

I actually don't have any problems with eating. I was on a birth control pill that gave me awful side effects, so I think that made the problem worse. Now I am on a lower dose pill, so I hope that will help. I have tried to eliminate certain foods, but that didn't help. I know stress plays a part, but what stresses me out is alwys feeling like this. My doctor said it was IBS, but that doesn't really give me any advice on how to solve the problem. It is frustrating because when it is real bad, I can't go out, and that brings on anxiety because I hate it so much. I'm all out of answers. . .

Old 06-24-2004, 02:58 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

Sunlover HB User

Maybe you can request a low dose anti anxiety medication - .25mg of Xanax a day can help and in such low doses you won't become addicted, it can get you over the hump. They do prescribe things like that for IBS, so look into it, it definitely can't hurt.

The Following User Says Thank You to Sunlover For This Useful Post:
mexdgrl (02-28-2012)
Old 06-28-2004, 05:16 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

GettingWellAgain HB User

Hi
I agree wit MicheaelMD78. Stay AWAY from the chemicals. Stress can cause nausea, but with the bloating and gassiness, it absolutely does sound as if you may benefit from any one of the things the former poster recommended. Also, sometimes when doctors don't have an explanation of things, they assume that it must be psychosomatic or stress-related, which in SOME cases it is true, because I experience nausea with high levels of anxiety. But don't take the Xanax or as for a Xanax script. I'd have to disagree with Sunlover because you CAN become dependant on Xanax even at that dose. Benzos are way too addictive.
~Katalina

Old 06-28-2004, 05:50 PM   #6
Veteran

monarchangel HB User

I was just wondering, you said you experience nausea with anxiety, but is that nausea 24/7? Mine lasts all day everyday and is accompanied by really bad bloating and a sour stomach. I don't think stress would make you feel nauseous from the moment you wake up until you go to bed. I think this feeling makes me stressed more than anything becuse when it is real bad, I can;t function. I had a catskan and was fine, I wish I knew if there was a food I was allergic to, because I would immediately eliminate it. I have ha a problem with constipation. I used to use metamucil and those things everyday to help. I never really feel like i have a complete bowel movement. Do you think that could cause nausea and bloating24/7?

Last edited by monarchangel; 06-28-2004 at 06:00 PM.

Old 06-28-2004, 06:03 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

GettingWellAgain HB User

monarchangel,
No, actually, when I experience stress-related nausea, it's brief and only lasts for a few minutes or a few hours, depending on how upset or anxious I am. I spent an ENTIRE YEAR being nauseous due to having a balance disorder so I know how it feels to be that nauseous all day, it really sucks and does CAUSE anxiety and stress. The funny thing is that I didn't always feel dizzy when I felt sick to my stomach, I just felt nauseous, but I knew it was due to my balance being off because I had severe vertigo attacks that lasted for days prior, usually. Now, I have IBS and I can relate with the bloating and sour stomach, too. I don't have insurance and can't yet see an allergist to find out exactly what I'm allergic to either, so I monitor my eating constantly. I have SEVERE allergies to wheat and dairy. I developed all of these messed up allergies within the past year, after HEAVY antibiotics, and I believe a Candida infection may be causing all of my problems, but enough about me. The doctor says you have IBS but do you have constipation or diarrhea? Also, does this only happen after you eat? Do you have any other symptoms as well?
~Katalina

Old 06-28-2004, 06:18 PM   #8
Veteran

monarchangel HB User

My doctor told me I had IBS too, but she never really explained it to me. I have experienced this nauseous feeling for almost two years. I do experience constipation all the time, and I think that plays a big part. I eat fiber cereal every night, but if I miss one night, I can't go the bathroom for two days. It is awful because I never really feel like I finish going to the bathroom. I feel sick after I try to go to the bathroom and then it lasts ALL day. I mean, I had real bad allergies, but now I use Flonase and that helps. I take the birth control pill, but I take a low dose so I don't think it's that. I'm just so tired of feeling like this everyday.

Old 06-29-2004, 04:18 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

GettingWellAgain HB User

Hi monarchangel,
The constipation sounds exactly like me, but I won't go AT ALL or ever without use of a laxative if I skip a day without fiber. I just started using Citrucel and it's working better than I expected, but it took a lot getting used to because of the excessive bloating and full feeling it causes. In my case, I also feel that constipation plays in a big role in my nausea. When I'm not going to the bathroom, I feel so sick, nauseous and uncomfortable. I also feel like I never really finish going to the bathroom, even with fiber. I used to take acidophilus before I developed all of this, and it took away all of my bloating and made me go to the bathroom regularly. I want to start taking it again, but many brands of acidophilus are made from/with milk and I'm highly allergic to dairy now. I did find one that's "hypoallergenic" though, so I'm going to try that. You know, you might want to look into Candida, too, because I think that's what I have. I don't think it's as common as everyone says it is, but it does exist and things like taking excessive antacids, NSAID's (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs like Advil) and even birth control pills can destroy the good bacteria in your intestines and an overgrowth of bad bacteria can occur, causing all of this. Also, maybe you should see an allergist or do an allergy elimination diet to try and pinpoint foods that may affect you more. Maybe you should keep a food journal or something. Good luck
Katalina

Old 06-29-2004, 05:06 PM   #10
Veteran

monarchangel HB User

What is candida? I tried to find onfo on it, but I couldn't. My doctor just said it was IBS. It's wierd because when I am constipated, my bloating and nausous is much worse. When I ma regualr, the symptoms seem out of control, so I think that is my main problem. Have you tried frosted mini wheats? I used metamucil for over six months, then I switched to citrucel, but the taste is so bad after awhile. I eat a bowl of frosted mini wheats every night, and that helps more than anything. Maybe you could try that because after a while, the fiber drinks are so gross.

Old 06-29-2004, 05:08 PM   #11
Veteran

monarchangel HB User

What is candida? I tried to find onfo on it, but I couldn't. My doctor just said it was IBS. It's wierd because when I am constipated, my bloating and nausous is much worse. When I am regualr, the symptoms seem under control, so I think that is my main problem. Have you tried frosted mini wheats? I used metamucil for over six months, then I switched to citrucel, but the taste is so bad after awhile. I eat a bowl of frosted mini wheats every night, and that helps more than anything. Maybe you could try that because after a while, the fiber drinks are so gross.

Old 06-29-2004, 05:31 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User
Talking Re: Constant Nausea

Quote:
Originally Posted by monarchangel
I was just wondering, you said you experience nausea with anxiety, but is that nausea 24/7? Mine lasts all day everyday and is accompanied by really bad bloating and a sour stomach. I don't think stress would make you feel nauseous from the moment you wake up until you go to bed. I think this feeling makes me stressed more than anything becuse when it is real bad, I can;t function. I had a catskan and was fine, I wish I knew if there was a food I was allergic to, because I would immediately eliminate it. I have ha a problem with constipation. I used to use metamucil and those things everyday to help. I never really feel like i have a complete bowel movement. Do you think that could cause nausea and bloating24/7?
i had constant nausea (yes, 24/7) after an attack of pancreatitis a couple of years ago ... i'm not saying you had pancreatitis, or even that it caused my nausea, but your gullet is a tube that begins at your esophagus and ends at your anus, and if there isn't enough squeezing action, it causes nausea b/c the food just builds up at the top of your stomach... my internist prescribed motilium (domperidone), and it works a treat ... domperidone is not available in the US but reglan is ... and i actually don't think mine was caused by the pancreatitis -- just coincident in time ...

and 24/7 nausea is not caused by anxiety, in my opinion -- i've never been nauseated, esp. 24/7, and had it caused by anxiety ... do you thiink it's time for a second opinion?

i know xanax can be addictive, but the occasional one isn't ...

constipation can be caused by hypothyroidism -- do you have any other thyroid symptoms? see the thyroid board sticky: Information Archive at the top of the thyroid board to find out what they are ...

good luck ...

jb

Old 06-29-2004, 07:06 PM   #13
Veteran

monarchangel HB User

Thanks for your input. I have had such an awful time dealing with this, and when I think about it, my doctor hasn't helped. I have had this nausea everyday, 24/7 for almost two years. She told me it was variant of panic attacks. I don't even know what panic attacks are. I f anything, this has caused me anxiety. I did have a catskan, which showed everything was normal. I think it has a lot to do with constipation. I never feel like I really finish going to the bathroom and it makes me feel real sick all day. i don't know if there are any diseases that could cause this, but I think I'm just going to have to really pay close attention to my diet and saty away from things that could cause constipation.

Old 06-30-2004, 12:37 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User
Talking Re: Constant Nausea

Quote:
Originally Posted by monarchangel
Thanks for your input. I have had such an awful time dealing with this, and when I think about it, my doctor hasn't helped. I have had this nausea everyday, 24/7 for almost two years. She told me it was variant of panic attacks. I don't even know what panic attacks are. I f anything, this has caused me anxiety. I did have a catskan, which showed everything was normal. I think it has a lot to do with constipation. I never feel like I really finish going to the bathroom and it makes me feel real sick all day. i don't know if there are any diseases that could cause this, but I think I'm just going to have to really pay close attention to my diet and saty away from things that could cause constipation.
really, monarchangel, i think you need a second opinion .... and constant 24/7 for two years nausea is not caused by anxiety .. please -- get another opinion ...

i think it has more to do with your gut not squeezing enough, and for that you need reglan ...

have you looked at the bowel disorders board, or the digestive disorders one? maaybe they can help ... more than this one, i think ...

good luck,
jb

Old 07-01-2004, 07:55 AM   #15
Inactive

joquiero HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solstice1221
Hi
Also, sometimes when doctors don't have an explanation of things, they assume that it must be psychosomatic or stress-related. ~Katalina
You are So right. For about 4 years I suffered pain in my jaw, neck, face, and shoulders and would have dreadful headaches and could often not find any relief.

I kept going back to my doctor and saying 'please, help me, I'm in so much pain' and she would keep me "its stress related" and one time told me "its all in your mind"

Turns out I had an infected tooth that had not been revealled during my biyearly dental x rays. A few days after a root canal, the pain disappeared.

Whenever a doctor tells you its 'stress' assume that they have no clue (and can't be bothered to find out) what your problem is.

Closed Thread