It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2004, 11:37 PM   #1

Kwalk014 HB User
Exclamation Pain In Side While Running.

I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of a pain in the side while running. I get a really bad sharp pain in my side when i run for more than about 30 secs, or if i walk for long periods of time. The pain is in my lower left side closer to my abdomen. Ive gone to an internal medicine doctor and he gave me an anti-inflammtory and had me get blood test and an ultrasound. Everything appeared normal but i still had the pain. Then we thought it might have had sumthing to do with my slight case of scolosis so i went to the chiropracter and he popped my hip back into place saying that the misallignment was making my right leg a little bit shorter. If my right foot was shorter that would be putting stress on my left side which would make since but i still have the pain. Does anyone have any possible explanation? or another topic board i could go to?

Old 06-24-2004, 11:51 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: Pain In Side While Running.

Hi, I don't run...but when I did, I got them. Do a search on side stiches....you'll get lots of information, preventatives and treatments.

It's good your doctor had you checked out with ultrasound and blood tests...but it's probably just muscle/gas cramping.

Hope this helps to put your mind at ease,
quincy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-25-2004, 12:05 AM   #3

Kwalk014 HB User

well we thought it might be a side stich also, but i talked to a doctor at my gym and he said that they are caused by eating too much before running or dehydration. I was starting to get them in my upper right side but those went away usually after i had water so thats what i assumed it was. But the one in my lower left side has been there for about 2 - 3 months and wont go away. Another thing i thought was maybe it had sumthing to do with my new running shoes because it started occurring after i got the new ones. But i also looked up side stiches today and the sites that i looked at said its in the diaphram and is usually from eating too much before running or from an enlarged liver which i neither do or have. And i would think that if it was gas related it would go away after 2 months? but i dont know. Its really starting to worry me, i like to run and i play tennis and i want to play soccer so i kind of need too. Also i noticed something really strange, If i run on a tredmill or track, or street it hurts but if i am running like playing football with my friends or sumthing it doenst really bother me. well any advice is helpful and appreciated.

Old 06-25-2004, 10:56 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Dark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB User

I get that too...when I run for a while I get this really bad "hollow" pain in my right side that will expand all over my body between my chest and hips. If it isn't gas as Quincy said, then it's probably your spleen or appendix, or some other seemingly useless organ. Don't worry - there's nothing wrong with it if that's the case, but I know that when you run, one of those organs will cause you pain in your side.

I don't think it's anything to be overly concerned about, though.

Dark Stranger - can't do 5 measly laps around the gym O.o

Old 06-25-2004, 11:36 PM   #5

Kwalk014 HB User

Well i went to another board to get more than one point of view and one of the guys there said that he gets them if he doesnt have good shoes which would make since becuase i started to get them after i got a new pair of running shoes. Also i my ultra sound the results came back that i had an enlarged spleen but the internal medicine doc said that wouldnt affect it. The other thing is that its in my left side not my right. So i decided that next time i go to the gym i am going to use my old running shoes and see if it makes a difference.

Old 06-26-2004, 05:42 PM   #6

Kwalk014 HB User
Unhappy Re: Pain In Side While Running.

A little update on my side, i went to the lake today and i was tubing for awhile and my side was fine but when i got done tubbing i decided to swim back to the dock instead of being taken back. Well i was out a pretty far way and i could feel my side tensing up everytime i took a stroke with my left arm. This is really starting to **** me off i cant do any physical activity without it hurting

Old 06-27-2004, 04:22 PM   #7
Inactive

joquiero HB User

Its called a 'stitch' (well thats what we called it when i was a kid) and its some sort of cramping. I used to get those when I first starting working out, but I NEVER get them anymore - maybe its a sign that you're not in tip-top shape. If you keep running, it will subside eventually. Are you eating too soon before you run? Are you breathing properly when you run?

Old 06-27-2004, 06:41 PM   #8

Kwalk014 HB User

Ok first i know what a stitch is and i know what causes it and that is not what is it. Second off i am in the best shape of my life, not to mention i have been running my whole life. Ive played tennis for 5 years now. My dad was a cross country runner in highschool and college and he taught me how to run and breath correctly. So none of those are possiblities.

Old 08-08-2004, 03:32 PM   #9

Kwalk014 HB User

Went to doctor, Got test for hernia, had more blood test taken, got a CAT scan. Nuthing showed up. He sending me to a surgeon. The newest guess is a possible cartilage tear. They said that if cartilege tears it takes awhile to repair itself and it hurts while its repairing. Anyone agree/disagree?

Old 08-08-2004, 08:46 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntchilada HB User

I know that these pains can be caused from not exhaling enough. Try to breathe out more...push more air out until there is no more left next time you get one. Maybe it will work for you.

Old 08-09-2004, 01:01 PM   #11

Kwalk014 HB User

I dont think thats what it is, I get them if i walk for a long time also. That sounds more like something that would cause a stitch and i know what a stitch feels like because i get them in the other side. Its a different kind of pain, like a pull in my side or sumthing, kinda hard to explain.

Closed Thread