It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2004, 07:32 PM   #1
(female)

kentuckywoman HB User
Question Pain under lower left rib cage.

I have been having pain under my lower left rib cage. If I push slightly on my ribs I feel very sore. When I get up from sitting, I feel the pain and soreness. I have not injured myself in any way. It feels some like pleurisy I had a few years ago, except it does not seem to hurt more when I take a deep breath. I suffer from a number of other health problems; GERD, high cholestrol, migraines, all of which I am on medications for. I would just like to know if amyone has expreienced anything similar to this.
I do plan to see my family physician next week, but would like to hear some ideas what could be causing this.

Thanks all, Kentuckywoman.

Old 07-03-2004, 11:28 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

lori j HB User
Re: Pain under lower left rib cage.

That is where all my ulcer pain was. Eventually it got so bad, it would wake me in the middle of the nite, ulcers kind of go hand in hand with GERD.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-04-2004, 08:02 AM   #3
(female)

kentuckywoman HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lori j
That is where all my ulcer pain was. Eventually it got so bad, it would wake me in the middle of the nite, ulcers kind of go hand in hand with GERD.
Thanks for the replt, Lori. So far I have checked clear for ulcers, but have not been xrayed for a couple years now. I do hate the thought of going through all those tests again. I have an appointment with my gastro doctor in late August. I will see what my family doctor has to say. The pain is getting pretty bad; it sems to get worse each day.
Kentuckywoman

Old 07-05-2004, 06:46 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

pa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB User

Hi.

I have been getting pain in under my ribs or years always on the left. Last year I had it everyday for three months and went to the Dr, She did an EKG, although she did not the pain was heart related. chest and rib xrays, all were normal. She started palpitating my ribs upper and lower and I yelled out in pain she was pushing into areas where I did not have pain.

My rib pain is under the breast and into it, also I call this my bra strap pain, from the shoulder down to or into the breast and sometimes goes in under my arm, sometimes my back ribs get involved in this pain cycle. My Dr. told me it was costochrondrits (sp) which is inflamtion of the rib cage.

My pain can be a dull ache to sharp where I do not know how to sit, when I have it in the bra strap area it hurts more with arm movement. I also have fibromyalgia.

Fibromyalgia
Myofascal pain syndrome
Costochondritis
Arthritis, cervical and thorastic

Old 07-05-2004, 07:15 AM   #5

STIGMATA666 HB User
Talking Re: Pain under lower left rib cage.

I Have A Very Similar Thing As You,for A Couple Of Years Now On & Off I Have A Dull Ache Under My Left Rib Cage,it Is Never A Sharp Pain Though.sometimes My Left Ribs Are Tender When I Press Them Too.i Have Mentioned This Numerous Times To My Doctor But They Dont Seem To Be Concerned.i Was Referred To A Gastoenterologist A While Back & He Kept Poking My Ribs Which Was Quite Sore.he Actually Thought I Had Inflamed Ribs Too.aparently Its Quite Common. I Cannot See What That Would Have To Do With The Dull Ache I Get Under My Ribs Though.most Of The Stomach Is Under The Left Rib Cage So I Think Maybe Certain Foods Trigger The Ache I Get,i Am Not Sure.not Recently But Sometimes When I Used To Get The Ache My Left Rib Cage Would Be Slightly Raised (its Weird)

Old 07-05-2004, 08:50 AM   #6
(female)

balleteach HB User

Greetings, I know first-hand about rib pain and discomfort. The pain you are having sounds like a condition called costochondrites. This is inflamation of the cartilage between the ribs and breastbone area. The pain can radiate around the back and even down the arms. Wearing a bra or seatbelt can be uncomfortable. This condition can be caused by overexertion or also a viral infection. There can be alot of pain, causing you to think you are having a heart attack or lung problems. Usually after the dr. eliminates everything serious, this condition is what they come up with. Costochondrites is a benign condition, but can be very painful and uncomfortable while it lasts. Search this website or google the word for more info, I think my spelling is correct. There is a ton of info. out there. Good Luck and keep posting balleteach

Old 07-05-2004, 01:39 PM   #7
(female)

kentuckywoman HB User

Thanks for all the responses. I was not able to get in to see my doctor today. His office was closed for the holiday. I will try to get in tomorrow to see him. My pain is not a constant, but sharp soreness when I move. This soreness is along the curve of the rib cage and seems to involve about 3 ribs.It is a couple ribs below my bra line and does not seem to affect the breast.
I have so many other health problems that I really hope this does not last for years; I hope it is something temporary. I take so many medications already, and am trying to stay off pain meds to see if that will help my headaches. I will let everyone know when I see the doctor and see what he says. It is getting me a bit worried and this pain and soreness seems to get worse every day and affects my sleep. I have less pain standing than when sitting or lying down.
I appreciate the responses and at least I know others have had similar pain.
Kentuckywoman

Old 07-07-2004, 09:33 PM   #8
(female)

kentuckywoman HB User
Unhappy Re: Pain under lower left rib cage.

I went to the doctor on Tuesday and he called me today with the results.He had first sent me to the hospital for xrays of my ribs to rule out any fractures. He then ordered an MRI for me. This revealed that I have osteoporosis and my ribs are definitely thinning. For the pain he has put me on the Duragesic patch which is helping a lot and I just started it today. Since I also suffer from Reflux, I have been unable to take the oral medications.( I had a bone density test a couple years ago and had tried Actonel and fosamax. They caused so much reflux and were causing swallowing difficulties that I had to stop them). My Dr. told me today his nurses will contact me tomorrow to set up a time to teach me to give myself injections for the osteoporosis. I do not like needles!! I will need a daily injection. I am going to drag my husband along and maybe he can learn to give them to me.
I am still a bit confused about how this bone thinning is causing so much pain if there is no fracture. Tuesday was my 52nd birthday; I quit smoking two years ago, started taking calcium with vitamin D, try to drink fatfree milk every day, and I started working out at the gymn 2 hours Monday through Saturday. I have been trying to do the right things. I know the years of smoking have taken their toll. I have never used alcholic drinks.
My mother has suffered from osteoporosis in recent years, but she did not have problems until she was in her 70s. She is now 96. I am really in the dumps over this diagnosis. Doctors tell me that I am young to have so many health conditions that usually do not occur until people are older. That does not give me much comfort.I would like to hear from others who have thinning bones and if anyone has taken the injections and if it helps reduce their pain.I am sorry this is so long, but I need encouragement! Thanks to all who have taken the time to share their experiences.

Old 10-06-2005, 12:53 PM   #9
(female)

dixiepeep HB User

I always have that pain when i am constipated. I looked it up under remedy find and others have the same pain too. I think when it is on the right side is when it is gallbladder issues.

Old 04-02-2007, 01:52 PM   #10
(female)

fleetingfallacy HB User

I actually have been having the same pain for the past six months or so, except the pain reaches from below my armpit to my hip, and it hurts the most around my lower left ribs. At first my doctor thought I had mononucleosis, because my throat had also been really sore at the time. I went through several blood tests and an ultrasound; my spleen was fine and my blood seemed just fine. The pain continued and another doctor I saw was absolutely convinced that it was mono, so he tried to put me on medication for it. Yet another doctor made me stop taking the medication and said that I had acid reflux and wanted to put me on yet another medication. This one, just to be sure, sent me to get chest X-rays. I went back to see the first doctor and she sent me to get a CT scan and more bloodwork. All of my tests came back saying that there's nothing wrong with me. Even now, my side still hurts. I usually can't sit still for a long period of time because it starts to hurt, and I haven't been able to do any physical labor for a while. I usually am forced to lay down every so often because it's the only time that it doesn't hurt as badly. (I'm too long-winded...)

Old 04-03-2007, 05:46 AM   #11
(female)

dixiepeep HB User

I think my left rib pain is partly constipation. I noticed that if I have regular bowel movements the there is no pain. That is just a guess. I hope you find out what is causing your pain. It sounds like yours is a lot worse than mine. I have acid reflux too and that pain causes pain on my right side according to my doctor. Acid reflux caused me so much pain that I thought I was having heart trouble. I was relieved to know it was Acid Reflex. I am now taking Aciphex . I have only taken it a couple of days so I don't feel like it is working but I am sure it takes some time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetingfallacy View Post
I actually have been having the same pain for the past six months or so, except the pain reaches from below my armpit to my hip, and it hurts the most around my lower left ribs. At first my doctor thought I had mononucleosis, because my throat had also been really sore at the time. I went through several blood tests and an ultrasound; my spleen was fine and my blood seemed just fine. The pain continued and another doctor I saw was absolutely convinced that it was mono, so he tried to put me on medication for it. Yet another doctor made me stop taking the medication and said that I had acid reflux and wanted to put me on yet another medication. This one, just to be sure, sent me to get chest X-rays. I went back to see the first doctor and she sent me to get a CT scan and more bloodwork. All of my tests came back saying that there's nothing wrong with me. Even now, my side still hurts. I usually can't sit still for a long period of time because it starts to hurt, and I haven't been able to do any physical labor for a while. I usually am forced to lay down every so often because it's the only time that it doesn't hurt as badly. (I'm too long-winded...)

Old 04-08-2007, 06:22 PM   #12
(female)

fleetingfallacy HB User

I think mine could be the same as yours, but it's hard to tell because only one of the doctors I've seen suggested it. I'm still waiting for the time to be able to go back to see my doctor.

Old 07-31-2007, 04:08 PM   #13
(male)

Sammy77 HB User
Smile Re: Pain under lower left rib cage.

Hi there, I have chronic cardiac pain and I am allergic to most pain killers. My pain Consultant put me on Duragesic patches and to tell the truth they have cut my attednaces to hiospital down drastically. There are sometimes I have to go to A&E for i.v Morphine.

This has caused me to be treated as a drugs addict by some doctorsn of which is untrue and a slur against me.

I have the suuport of my G.P. but he cannot help me as soon as I go through the hospital doors he can't.

Many times I have felt like ripping the patch off and throwing it away.
I feel like baning my head of a brick wall, and it has brought me to tears when people who are meant to respect you and help you accuse you of being into drugs.

Duragesic is a fantastic evalution in pain medication.

Old 08-01-2007, 08:26 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User

KentuckyWoman........you mentioned that you had high cholesterol and were taking meds. Some people have muscle pain and soreness from taking statin drugs. A lot of doctors discount this, but it has been documented. Go to the High Cholesterol Board and read through some of their postings. Do your research on the effects of the Osteoporosis meds/shots as well before you jump on that bandwagon. Good Luck!

Old 08-11-2007, 09:18 AM   #15
Inactive
(male)

texastom HB User

Hello,
I am male and I was diagnosed Osteparosis at the age of 36yrs old which was nine years ago, at the time the doctors did not know why I had developed it so early either ,( no-one else in my family has it) but then they realised that I had Heamochromotosis ..which they said answered the question of why I had Osteoporosis .I do have a number of other health conditions, some of the conditions. I have been told were also caused by the Heamachromatosis not being diagnosed and treated in the early stages ( the treatment for Heamochromatosis , which is a genetic liver disorder is blood letting). I have very sore ribs on each side,( and I get a sort of a hot stinging pain if pressed) which I do believe is due to you and I having Osteoporosis,I am also taking calcium D3 tablets and Alendronic acid tablets , which I think has helped .
I know some of pain you are suffering and I send my sympathy .
I have terrible muscle pain problems mainly my arms and legs ,I have not tried the injections ,as I am currently using pain patches amid other tablets, so I do not know if the injections are effective or not so sorry I cannot help you there, but best of luck with the new treatment.

Last edited by texastom; 08-11-2007 at 09:53 AM. Reason: spellings, editing

Closed Thread