It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2004, 11:13 PM   #1

cicka HB User
Thrush+Kissing

Can you get thrush from kissing?

Old 07-12-2004, 01:08 AM   #2
(female)

angelwings171 HB User
Re: Thrush+Kissing

Thrush is a common infection caused by a yeast called Candida albicans. This yeast lives on the skin and in the mouth, gut and vagina. Usually it's harmless, but sometimes changes in the body cause the yeast to grow rapidly. This can lead to an outbreak of thrush.

In adolescents, young adults, and middle age adults, an oral Candida infection should always be viewed as a possible symptom of an underlying medical problem, such as diabetes or HIV infection, and should be evaluated.

You can't catch thrush from kissing, hugging, sharing baths, towels, cups, plates or cutlery, or from toilet seats.

Angela

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2004, 09:15 PM   #3

cicka HB User

Thanks!
Just wanted to make sure.
Although, it sounds too good to be true that the yeast from someone else's mouth wouldn't make itself at home in your mouth too. What prevents it form striving in the "thrush-free" but yeast susceptible persons mouth?
I also recently took antibiotics, so that must have cause the thrush.

Last edited by cicka; 07-12-2004 at 09:19 PM.

Old 07-13-2004, 12:49 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Actually, it can be contagious and if you have an oral thrush infection refrain from long deep kissing until yours is cleared up. It can sometimes cause an imbalance in the other person's mouth especially if his/her system is compromised.

Maintain good oral cleaning. Get a prescription for Nystatin to help clear it up. Acidophilus capsules or live bacteria yogurt will help as well. After the infection has cleared, change your toothbrush (change it monthly anyway). The next time you take antibiotics, taking acidophilis helps keep the thrush at bay. A diet high in sugar and simple carbohydrates will also exacerbate it.

I get it as well from my asthma corticosteroid inhaler. I notice when I've eaten larger quantities of sugary foods, it shows up.

Nystatin definitely will clear it up quickly.

In reality, of all the nasties that one can get from saliva swapping....oral thrush is definitely low on the scale of being serious.

Best to you,
quincy

Last edited by quincy; 07-13-2004 at 12:51 AM.

Closed Thread