It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2004, 12:21 PM   #1

mdboa05 HB User
Angry Vicodin Doesn't Work!

I just had all four of my wisdom teeth extracted yesterday. Two were totally impacted and the other two were just partially impacted. The doctor put me on Cefadroxil (antibiotic for bacteria) and 500mg of Vicodin. I try to eat some pudding or jello before I take my Vicodin, but I still get an upset stomach. And its actually not even working!! I still have a lot of pain. Why is that? I realize that its affects everyone differently, but I just want to know if there's something else I can do. The pain is just about unbearable... :'(

Old 08-14-2004, 12:35 PM   #2
Inactive

ALonelyOctober HB User
Re: Vicodin Doesn't Work!

keep lots of ice on your mouth... when I had my wisdom teeth out it wasn't so bad even though mine were impacted... but my brothers hurt really bad and his weren't impacted... I think it depends on pain tollerence... talk to your doctor and see if he can switch you to a different pain med...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2004, 08:50 PM   #3
(female)

storm12 HB User

It didn't matter if I ate or didn't eat with vicodin or percocet - they just make me so sick it doesn't matter - and after a day and a half after my four impacted teeth were taken out, I switched myself to extra-strength tylenol (no codeine, either), and did absolutely fine. Everyone's different, though. Most surgery or injury experiences in my life I have gotten through best with tylenol in terms of pain.

Last edited by storm12; 08-14-2004 at 08:51 PM.

Old 08-16-2004, 01:00 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User

Not all pain meds work for everybody! When I had my wisdom teeth out the doc gave me tylenol 3 (codeine) and I was in incredible pain. I ended up going to the ER and the doc there gave me percocet and I was in no pain at all within 20 minutes. In March I had surgery and they were giving me morphine at higher and higher doses but it did nothing for me, then they gave me demerol and I felt great. If a pain med really isn't working for you, ask your doc if you can try something different. And make sure you remember what it was that doesn't work for you, in case you need meds in the future. I made sure that my surgeon sent me home with percocet, not codeine, after my surgery.

Old 08-16-2004, 10:45 PM   #5

OhioRSDer72 HB User

Try asking for a few percocets and see if they help. Most docs are hesitant about prescribing percocet but if you ask they will usually give you at least a few.
I hope you find something that helps!!

Old 08-16-2004, 10:54 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User

Everyone is different. If you are waiting until your pain is severe to take pain meds, regardless if they are vicodin or morphine, they are not going to be effective, by that time it is too late. Take your meds before the pain increases it will be more effective.
If it still hurts and the meds aren't working then call your doctor to be sure you don't have any dry sockets or other problems going on.

Old 08-17-2004, 06:52 PM   #7

mdboa05 HB User

Thanks for all of the help. It has been about four days since my surgery, and I have stopped taking the Vicodin. I tried taking Tylenol (just the OTC) and it doesn't really do much of anything. And after these four days, I'm still eating pudding and jello. It isn't much fun and I really want to eat more solid foods, but I can't because it hurts way too much. I can't even open my mouth much past an inch because it is excruciating. I am going to call into the surgeon's office tomorrow and hopefully they can do something else for me. Thank you all for the advice.

Old 08-17-2004, 07:16 PM   #8

invisablebeauty HB User

wow im sorry your experience was so bad. i got mine out last week, and my recovery was fine. i guess i was just lucky, lol.

Closed Thread