It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2004, 08:12 AM   #1
(female)

LadyLuck1980 HB User
Coxsackie Virus in Adults (Hand, Foot and Mouth)

Hello All,

I recently got Coxsackei also know as Hand, Foot and Mouth not to be mistaken with (FOOT AND MOUTH) which is in animals only. If you dont know what it is, it is a Viral Infection that is common in children under the age of 1 years BUT can also be seen in Adults. The Virus is very contagious and has left Painful Blisters on the palms of my Hands, Feet and Also on my Labia and the roof and lips in my mouth. The Virus has no cure, they recommend you take pain killers for the pain since you can also get Headaches and Tummy Aches and also loss of appetite.

My question is, i heard that people (Adults) who get this virus are due to weak immune systems and in that case related to HIV. Does anyone know how true this is?? i am 24 years old, arent i abit old to be catching such a virus?? Does anyone know anything about Coxsackie in Adults???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2004, 08:40 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User
Re: Coxsackie Virus in Adults (Hand, Foot and Mouth)

From what I've read/seen it is contagious and considered a communicable disease, did you pick it up from a child who may have it? There are two common types A and B. Type B is spread through the mouth, mucous (runny nose) and fecal matter.
Weak immune systems are not always related to HIV, there are many reasons people have week immune systems, one in particular is defective collagen.

Coxsackie refers to a collection of closely related viruses classified among the enteroviruses, namely those that cause infection after being taken in orally with contaminated food or water and then multiply in the intestines (entero = intestinal). The coxsackie viruses were named after the town Coxsackie, New York. A strain of this virus was discovered there during the investigation of an epidemic that occurred in 1948 alongside a polio epidemic (polio being another enterovirus). The coxsackie viruses are divided into two major subgroups, labeled A and B. There are 23 known coxsackie A viruses that usually cause only enteric diseases, and 6 known coxsackie B viruses, which are the ones of greatest concern because of their ability to cause serious diseases beyond the intestinal tract. Coxsackie B3 has been found to be one of the main causes of certain debilitating or life-threatening diseases, such as viral myocarditis.

-- In adults, viral myocarditis and dilated cardiomyopathy can occur if the virus infects the heart muscle. Coxsackie B viruses are estimated to be responsible for at least 50% of the cases of infection-caused heart diseases. For reasons yet unknown, the cardiac disease caused by this virus mainly occurs in middle-aged men, with onset occurring, on average, around age 42. The cardiac disease becomes apparent about two weeks after exposure to the virus.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2004, 08:55 AM   #3
(female)

LadyLuck1980 HB User

Thanks Kiss, I read that same exact thing somewhere online.....i have just never met or heard of any adult getting this virus. My niece has it and she's 15 months old. He parents and little brother on the other hand DON'T. I thought that was strange. I was arround her for a few hours and caught it. My Sister in-law, her Mom, is a stay at home mom, she hasnt gotten it.

Old 08-18-2004, 11:14 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User

It could be a case of your immune system is a bit weaker than other family members. If you just got over a cold or something similiar then it is understandable.
I didn't read anywhere that it was related to HIV, I think why that was put out there was because that too affects the immune system but from what I read there is a huge difference.
Whatever you do, if you are married or have your own kids or a companion be careful, obviously you do not want to spread that around.

Closed Thread