It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2004, 05:37 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Greenoctopus18 HB User
Sore Mole

Hello. I have noticed a small mole under my arm, which has been kind of sore. It feels kind of like a burning pain when touched, which is always if I have my arm down.
It has been there about 2 days now. The pain, that is.
It was a normal mole colour, until today. It is more red-coloured now. Yesterday there was a red patch around it but may have just been caused by me touching it.
I have an appointment, but for some reason they are busy until Monday the 6th. This is just a GP... usually it takes a day or two at the most to get in.
I am 20 and no one in my family has any unusual moles, etc.. so I don't know what to think of it.
I also have another mole that sometimes gets itchy and then eventually just 'peels' off. Then it grows back again.

Is this common in normal moles, or does it indicate that maybe there is a problem?

Thanks.

Also, can a doctor tell, just by looking, whether there is something wrong?
I don't want them to take a sample or anything.

Last edited by Greenoctopus18; 08-29-2004 at 03:06 AM.

Old 08-27-2004, 07:12 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User
Re: Sore Mole

You should definitely get them checked out. The general rules of thumb for suspicious moles are the ABCs... Asymmetry, irregular Border, variation in Color, Diameter over 6 mm, and Elevation. But certainly the other symptoms you mention are concerning. The doctor can't tell you outright by looking if the moles are cancerous or not, but he or she will be able to tell you if they are suspicious. If they are suspicious, then they should be removed (this can generally be done in your doctor's office). Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2004, 03:04 PM   #3
Inactive

vesuvius HB User

Just get it removed. Its so easy and painless that there's really no excuse to even risk having a problem by keeping it. Sure you'll have a little scar, but a scar looks better than an ugly black mole

Old 08-28-2004, 05:48 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Greenoctopus18 HB User

Hi, Thanks.
Is removal painful? How do they do it? Burn it off or cut it out? And do both techniques result in a scar?

It is actually quite a small mole and I hadn't noticed it until it was sore..
After reading what you wrote I looked more closely and it does have a darker line around the edge. It was brown and now red. It is probably a diametre of not more than 2mm, but it is elevated. It is almost like it is infected or something.

If it is something suspicious, waiting until the 6th to get it checked out won't hurt, will it?
It is not sore today.. but the one on my arm has been peeling off, etc several times over the past 2-3 years.

Last edited by Greenoctopus18; 08-29-2004 at 03:06 AM.

Closed Thread