It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2004, 06:17 PM   #1

jrm2428 HB User
Lower Abdominal pain that won't go away

I started having esophageal pain daily back in March or April. It got to be a big nusance so I saw a doctor. I was diagnosed with GERD and was put on prilosec. Shortly after being on prilosec I started having bowel movements that were hard, very large, compact, and dry. They would hurt when they came out. However, they were NOT infrequent. They would occur daily and I started noticing blood in the toilet tissue after wiping (or in the toilet after a bowel movement. I also started getting abdominal pain in my lower abdomen. It was mostly in the right quadrant, under the belly button and to the right. It was a crampy sort of pain that would go on and off and get worse after foods such as doughnuts. The pain would ocassionally be diagonal left down from my belly button as well. As the summer went on, the pain became more frequent and intense. I received an upper GI series, endoscopy, and abdominal ultrasound -- all of which came back negative. I really don't know what to do at this point. The pain has gotten to the point where it is there from the time I wake until the time I go to bed. I have been doing a lot of research online about it. The pain does not go away after a bowel movement so I ruled out Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Also, there is no nausea or vomitting associated with it so that made me think it probably was not Chrohn's disease. My doctor tried switching me from prilosec to nexium a month ago...but the abdominal pain is the same as it used to be. I stopped taking nexium for 6 days but the abdominal pain did not get better. I know that side effects of prilosec and nexium are constipation and abdominal pain so my best guess is that the prilosec caused constipation which was never taken care of (because the abdominal pain started after prilosec usage...and then all summer I had enormous, hard, compact, dry stools). The pain is now under my ribcage on the right as well. Someone please help me if you have any ideas or knowledge about this subject matter. On the following website I located my pain as being mostly in the lower part of the ascending colon, but also in the descending colon and in the upper part of the ascending colon:

[url]http://health.allrefer.com/pictures-images/large-intestine-1.html[/url]

I look forward to a response from someone because I really need to make this pain go away...it's becoming the focus of my life.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by jrm2428; 08-27-2004 at 06:18 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2004, 09:37 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

alleycat HB User
Re: Lower Abdominal pain that won't go away

Sorry I really can't help to much but have you been checked for appendsitis??

Old 08-29-2004, 09:54 AM   #3

jrm2428 HB User

No I have not been checked for appendicitis

Old 08-30-2004, 10:06 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

Sunlover HB User

I'm wondering if the lower abdominal pain could be from the hard stools? I had hard ones for 2 or 3 months and I was getting that pain MOSTLY in the evening, but sometimes all day. It felt like a pressure or it was a little worse at times. Don't know if you are male or female, but if you are female, does it feel like mild menstral pains?
(sorry, can't spell menstral!) These occurred daily until I ate something that messed up my intestines for a few hours, then I was back to "normal" and those pains went away. So I attributed it to the hard stools.

Closed Thread