It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2004, 01:00 AM   #1
(female)

Bekki HB User
Blood Test Dizziness

Hey I had another blood test today, for iron. I've never had any problem with the tests before, but today, (after they couldn't find the vein after one needle, then kept stabbing around but they FINALLY found a blood vessel, and started filling the tube) I started feeling really dizzy. I didn't tell the nurse that I was, because I thought I would be alright. I started losing hearing, and after the blood sample was taken, I fell into the wall when I tried to stand up, and couldn't see much. She made me stay for a while after that because I was driving home .. I think I didn't say anything because I'm kinda shy sometimes. It's never happened before, and I've had a few of the same tests before. My question is: is the same thing likely to happen again, and should I inform the nurse as soon as I start to feel dizzy?

Thanks
Bekki

Old 09-06-2004, 04:52 PM   #2

KritterKeeper HB User
Re: Blood Test Dizziness

Next time ask the nurse to draw your blood while you lay down--this should keep you from passing out. You can always do the head between the knees thing too.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-06-2004, 05:53 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

crabbyroad HB User

Probably repeating poking without getting a vein rather if it was collapsed or smaller, btw have you lost a significant amount of weight recently? caused you to have some anxiety and felt faint, they often refer to this as a vasovagal attack, very common. If your veins are smaller, they can use a childrens needle to extract blood next time.

Old 09-06-2004, 07:31 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User

I wouldn't worry too much about this one incident. It could be caused by not eating enough beforehand or low iron or just anxiety. Definitely, though, if it happens again tell the nurse so she can be prepared to catch you if you do happen to pass out. And if you do get dizzy again, don't stand up until you are sure that you are feeling better. You don't want to hurt yourself falling down.

Old 09-07-2004, 12:13 AM   #5
(female)

Bekki HB User

OK thanks all. Just another 3 months till the next one..

Closed Thread