It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2004, 09:07 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

rush_rulz HB User
Bone bruise?

A question I've been pondering is how long does a bone bruise, if I have one, take to heal? I know a bone injury is much more time consuming to heal up but how long is too long? It's been just over a month about, since I fell on my ankle and whacked it pretty good on the concrete. It turned green and then swelled a LOT. I kept putting ice and it still hurts to the touch but the odd thing is that the ankle bone, when you run your finger across it now feels like a figure 8 almost--like two bones instead of just one!! My husband suggested maybe it's a bone bruise and he also said it would take much longer for that to heal. But how long about would anyone guess?

Old 09-13-2004, 09:35 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

twizliz HB User
Re: Bone bruise?

Have you been to the doctor? I would get it checked out.

About fifteen years ago I banged my shin really hard and there is still a bump on the bone!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2004, 12:04 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

rush_rulz HB User

Yikes! So mine could be permanant as well eh? It doesn't really hurt to walk on it but, to touch it still feels "Fresh". I didn't get it checked out though. Money's way too tight for that. But it sure did worry me when it first happend b/c the pain was so bad I cried!

Old 09-14-2004, 05:54 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

Regardless of your current financial situation, you definitely need to see a doc and at the very minimum, get an X ray to help rule out a possible break in one of the many bones that are located in the ankle and foot area.This is nothing to mess around with,believe me.you very well could have a break in there and left untreated,could come back to haunt you in a really big way.a sprain in some cases is much worse than having a break as there is much more tissue damage involved in a sprain.I had a severe sprain where I could not even put ANY weight on it for over a week.This was well over twelve years ago and I still have reoccuring pain in the ankle.And mine was actually treated properly.

I can totally understand your hesitation because of finances(we are currently drowning in medical debt because of mine and my sons medical problems)but you HAVE to get this checked out.what you described is NOT normal and needs to be seen by a doc.You can probably get everything done at your regular docs office.Most offices have their own X ray machines these days.So you wouldn't have to even go to an urgent care or er.but you DO need this attended to.if there is some sort of break,without proper treatment, it could heal wrong as cause you major pain and problems with walking at some point.I hope you see a doc soon.Please keep me posted,K?marcia

Old 09-16-2004, 06:03 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

rush_rulz HB User

Hmm Then I will have to get it checked out but how much to X-Rays run? I mean I can't very well live off of a couple thousand dollars to my name can I (about what i'd be left with if an X-Ray --with no heatlh coverage b/c I have none, costed 1,000 or even close to that)

But I can put weight on it--it just still hurts to the touch....

Old 09-16-2004, 07:48 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User

No, it won't cost that much... Depending on where you go, it will probably run you between $50-$200. Of course, there's also the doctor's fee. I would call around and compare prices...

Old 09-23-2004, 10:13 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

rush_rulz HB User

Well, back to my original post--that ankle that got hurt still bugs me, but now i went and stubbed my toe BAD--I mean really bad--on the OTHER foot and for like 3 hours I couldn't walk!! But now, on my ANKLE on that foot is a big swollen spot (I'm going to put ice on it in a minute) that looks to be bruised ABOVE the swollen spot--but I didnt even hit that ankle at all!!! I dont know how that happend--my toe is all black and still hurts, but the ankle is what was causing me to limp like crazy today--I got home from work early, took the shoes & socks off and propped my foot up which is actually making it hurt WORSE than having my shoes ON!! I don't get it! It is a swelled up and it wasn't before. I am going to probably get it looked at by the University nurses or a doctor tomorrow, but until then what should I do? Just ice??

Old 09-24-2004, 04:54 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

When you get a sudden tissue injury, always remember, RICE:REST,ICE,COMPRESSION,ELEVATION.You need to get an ace bandage and wrap the ankle.Remember, you stated that it felt better WITH your shoe ON vs off?this is just the basic standard of care.you probably should have your doc take a look at it just to be sure.Marcia

Old 09-26-2004, 06:42 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

rush_rulz HB User

Well I got an apt. with an Orthropedic on Thurs. Wish me luck, as it costs 50-100 per X ray. After bashing that other toe, my OTHER ankle is still hurting very badly but the nurse at school said to get it checked ( the other ankle too b/c it is still bothering me) Though I have noticed the swelling has gone down considerably....

Old 10-02-2004, 09:42 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

rush_rulz HB User

Well, here is my update. I saw the Orthropedic doc this Thurs. and he said I've got tendonitis pretty bad in my right foot, so that is why it's hurting in spots that I never hit. The left foot was X-rayed twice, but it is not fracutred or broken--just sprained & badly bruised. He gave me ankle exercises to do in the meantime, which hurt. And he has me on Celebrex, which is insanely expensive (100 dollars). That stinks!

Anyway at least it isn't broken! But he said if it isn't better in 3 weeks to make another apt.

Closed Thread