It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2004, 11:01 PM   #1

ilych HB User
Yellow weird stuff in my mouth

i've been having this problem for a while. inside my mouth, sometimes there are these yellow substances. sometimes i can see them with a mirror on the left and right side of my inner mouth. if that's the case, i use a toothpick and remove it out of my mouth (not an easy task). they stink a lot, and i think it also causes my bad breath. other times, these particles are more deep inside near my throat i think. i can feel them with my tongue and if i force myself to cough i can get them out. other times, they just stay in my mouth and whenever i swallow my saliva i can feel these nasty particles.

well first of all, does anyone know what these things are? how can i solve this problem? sometimes i get a lot of these substances in my mouth, sometimes i hardly have this problem.

any help appreciated on this rather embaressing situation. thanks.

Old 10-10-2004, 11:09 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

bharkins HB User
Re: Yellow weird stuff in my mouth

What you are describing are tonsil stones. They are a mixture of food particles and bacteria that get trapped in the tonsils. They are harmless, but if they get real bothersome you can probably have the tonsils removed. Only a doctor can tell you for sure.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-13-2004, 10:38 AM   #3
(female)

gemmy200 HB User
Re: Yellow weird stuff in my mouth

The technical term for these nasy lil buggers is "Tonsilioth" or as bharkins said, "tonsil stones" try gargling with warm salt water, and keep digging them out if you feel inclined to do so! They are really very harmless, but the only way to rid them for good is to have the tonsils out. Good luck!

Old 10-22-2004, 12:38 PM   #4
(female)

courtenaynt HB User
Talking Re: Yellow weird stuff in my mouth

I've had these for years. If you don't break them open, they don't smell bad, so even if you think they give you bad breath, they probably don't. It's plaque and mucous and other debris getting caught in your tonsil cavities (lovely, isn't it). Some people seem to be born with this predisposition to tonsil stones, and some not.

My ENT advised me NOT to have my tonsils out for this; the procedure can be difficult to recover from, and unless you have chronic tonsil problems, strep throat, or similar problems, this inconvience is probably not worth the expense and potential problems.

Good luck!

Closed Thread