It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2004, 09:18 AM   #1
(female)

Countrymouse HB User
Alcohol induced pain?

Last month, I had a drink and something very strange happened that I've never experienced before from drinking alcohol. A few sips into the drink I developed a sharp pain in my upper jaw right under the ear on both sides. It's happened on three seperate occasions since, whenever I have anything with alcohol in it, so I know it wasn't a fluke.

Any ideas what might be causing this strange reaction? Thanks.

Old 11-04-2004, 12:40 AM   #2

Babs66 HB User
Re: Alcohol induced pain?

Just curious. Does this happen when you drink beer?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-04-2004, 04:37 AM   #3

stacey01 HB User

well I too have strange pain after drinking the SLIGHTEST bit of alcohol... within the first 10-15 mins of drinking something i will get the worst chest pain that radiates to my back.... and i wait it out and it stops and never comes back till i drink alcohol and happens all over again...needless to say, im now turned off to alcohol about it but a GI doctor has told me that the pain is acid reflux from the alcohol ( which is a big cause of the disorder in people who have constant problems with it) but she told me it wasnt anything to worry about unless it is with everything and everyday, that is just how my stomach reacts to alcohol for some reason and it didnt used to be that way, i used to be able to drink as much as i want and have no problem.... so to help u out maybe it is associative pain from some acid reflux going on from alcohol... a symptom of acid reflux is pain like ur having a heart attack (and the jaw is associated with heart attack pain) ... its just a thought , check it out and go to a gastrointestinal doc to ease ur mind and make sure it isnt more than acid reflux good luck ....

Last edited by stacey01; 11-04-2004 at 04:40 AM.

Old 11-04-2004, 05:59 PM   #4

Trivial Rush HB User

Alcohol is poison, it is not meant for our bodies. Get checked by a doctor see what they have to say, you might be allergic to it.

Old 11-10-2004, 09:08 AM   #5
(female)

Countrymouse HB User

Thanks for the responses everyone.

Babs66, I haven't had a beer in years, and this is a very recent development. The two types of drinks I had last month was a pina colada and hard apple cider.

Stacy01, I mentioned this at a dr. appointment last Thurs. and his thoughts were the same as yours. I have acid reflux and he was inclined to think that was the cause of my discomfort. It's interesting about jaw pain being linked to heart attack pain, I would never have thought that, but it's good to know.

The strange thing is that I began having similar jaw line pain while I was having a soda yesterday afternoon. I'm starting to wonder if it might actually have something to do with my teeth? I'm due for a dentist appointment anyway...bummer.

Old 11-10-2004, 10:58 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

siren1024 HB User

Could it be in your joint, maybe? Whenever I drink enough wine to "feel" it, the next morning I wake up with joint pain in my fingers and toes. I've heard some people who have this sensitivity to the point that it feels like gout or artheritis. I think this is a fairly well known reaction.... my doc just said "yeah, that can happen" when I told him about mine.

I also get jaw pain much like you described when eating/drinking other things, too. I never know exactly what's going to cause it. I wonder if it's acidic stuff, maybe.
DD born 3/24/2005

Last edited by siren1024; 11-10-2004 at 11:00 AM.

Closed Thread