It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2004, 01:39 PM   #1

annonymousely HB User
Unhappy what's goin to happen?

hello. i am meant to be going to the hospital to see an ent speciallist as ive had laryingutus for 7 weeks. i think im going to have a camera or something like thta put down my throat. can anyone tell me whether ill be under general anesthetic for this or if it'll be done with nothing. i really nervous. please answer soon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2004, 03:21 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User
Re: what's goin to happen?

It sounds like you'll be having a laryngoscopy. There are basically two kinds:
One is a flexible laryngoscopy and the other is called a rigid laryngoscopy.

With the flexible kind, you don't need general anesthesia and it can be done in the doctor's office. The doctor will most probably use a pencil-thin, flexible fiber-optic instrument (basically a teeny camera) to look at your throat. You'll be given a medication to dry up your nose and throat to help the doctor see better. He also might give you a local anesthetic sprayed on your throat to numb it.

Then they put the scope in through your nose and then thread it down your throat. The doc will also swab or spray some numbing medication inside your nose that dilates your nasal passages to give him a better view of everything.

This will all be totally painless.

If you're having a rigid laryngoscopy, this is done in the hospital in an operating room.
You'll be given general anesthetic and you'll sleep through the entire thing. They usually want you to fast for about 12 hours before the procedure. Again though, you won't have discomfort since you'll be "out".

Try not to be too anxious...If you've been scheduled already and no one has warned to not to eat beforehand, then it sounds as if you are having the office procedure. I would double check with them.

Good luck!

zuzu xx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2004, 03:26 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User
Re: what's goin to happen?

PS...If the first doctor you saw was your regular MD, the ENT person may, on the first appt., simply examine your larynx and throat without any camera procedure but with a special light source and mirror....and depending on what he/she sees, order a laryngoscopy or not.

Closed Thread