It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2004, 02:08 PM   #1
(female)

trimmery HB User
Numb and tingling pinky finger

Okay, this is hard to explain, but probably for the past few months I have had either numbness or tingling in the pinky on my left hand. Sometimes the tingling moves up my arm and causes it to kind of burn around my elbow and bi cep. Also I have noticed that my vision in my left eye is blurry. Not sure if this is related or if I need to get stronger contacts for that eye. Has anyone else had this problem. Some people at work think its because my left arm doesnt lay completely on my desk when I type and maybe it is cutting off circulation? Any thoughts?

Old 11-10-2004, 09:19 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User
Re: Numb and tingling pinky finger

The problems in your hand and arm are likely due to nerve problems, perhaps compression of the nerve. You should see your doctor, who may refer you to a neurologist.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-11-2004, 04:38 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

Kehorner is right.You also need an MRI done on your c spine and upper thoracic area to pinpoint the area of the problem.it could be anything from a herniation of a disc to a bone spur or many other little things that drive our spines insane.a trip to the neurologist is definitely the best starting point here.Good luck and keep us posted,Marcia

Old 11-14-2004, 11:49 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User

Your work collegues might have hit the nail on the head. The position of your arm while at your computer could account for compressing the ULNAR nerve which causes numbness and tingling in the pinky and sometimes the ring finger. Also, do you ever lean on the left elbow for long periods of time while you are just reading something on the computer? That'll cause ulnar nerve entrapment also.

zuzu xx

Old 11-14-2004, 05:11 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

siren1024 HB User

I also have this problem. I posted under the carpal tunnel syndrome forum and got lots of informative replies! You could check it out, but these posters have said the exact same thing the CTS sufferers told me!
DD born 3/24/2005

Old 11-16-2004, 12:41 PM   #6
(female)

trimmery HB User

Im pretty sure that it is from the way that I sit at my computer. I watched it this weekend while I was at home and hardly ever felt numbness or tingling in my pinky. But today as I sit and read these posts, I am leaning on my left elbow. Weird. Well I think that I may have saved myself a lot of moola by not getting a mri and all that scan stuff done. Thanks guys.

Old 11-16-2004, 01:00 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User

Trimmery,

Glad your sensations have dissipated.

This may be far more information than you really want but on the inside edge of your elbow is a point called the medial epicondyle. You can feel this “bump” if you bend your elbow. Between this point and the tip of the elbow is a narrow passageway called the cubital tunnel. The ulnar nerve travels from the upper arm, through this passageway, behind the elbow, to the lower arm, ending in the ring and little fingers.

You know this as the “funny bone”!!. There's a thin layer of tissue covering the tunnel, which somewhat protects it.

However, the tunnel can become compressed because of an injury or irritation and swelling, and this then causes pressure on the ulnar nerve. This compression, and your resulting tingling, numbness etc are known as cubital tunnel syndrome.

So, stop leaning on that elbow!

zuzu xx

Old 11-18-2004, 09:28 PM   #8

monkibusiness HB User

I had the same thing a few years ago. I used to sit at my desk and rest my elbow on it while keying orders on the computer. I did alot of research on the internet at the time and found that it is called cubital tunnel syndrome. I went to the Dr. and she tried to diagnose me with carpel tunnel. I showed her some info. I had printed out on cubital tunnel...and I really don't think she had heard of it before..she acted pissy because I was more or less correcting her. She left and stayed gone a few minutes then came back and agreed with what I had found (still acting pissy). She must have went and looked it up in her medical book. Anyway she sent me to get some nerve test done on my arm and hand..which concluded that I was right after all. They made a form fitting brace for my arm so I wouldn't bend my arm throughout the day. It was removable They also gave me an elbow pad to wear to protect my ulnar nerve ...and gave me anti-inflammatory drugs. Eventually both of those things helped. Every now and then my little finger starts trying to get numb a little, but I just take some over the counter Naproxen and it helps. I still have my brace if I need to use it. Hope this helps. PS I think maybe a lot of people assume it is carpel tunnel..which affects the other side of your hand...but, it's not.

Last edited by monkibusiness; 11-18-2004 at 09:31 PM.

Old 11-19-2004, 02:42 AM   #9
(female)

abcwangfoo HB User
Wink Re: Numb and tingling pinky finger

Quote:
Originally Posted by trimmery
Okay, this is hard to explain, but probably for the past few months I have had either numbness or tingling in the pinky on my left hand. Sometimes the tingling moves up my arm and causes it to kind of burn around my elbow and bi cep. Also I have noticed that my vision in my left eye is blurry. Not sure if this is related or if I need to get stronger contacts for that eye. Has anyone else had this problem. Some people at work think its because my left arm doesnt lay completely on my desk when I type and maybe it is cutting off circulation? Any thoughts?
HI,I have this problem,since March.I,had my neck,xrayed,they think,its Thoracic Outlet Syndrome.Dr.thinks,I was born with extra rib,in neck.This condition can cause,exactlly,what you,have.Iam know,going for a nerve test EMG.To,rule out other things,or verify,the other. Good luck.Have a nice day.

Closed Thread