It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2004, 11:36 AM   #1
(male)

TheTwo^Pigeons HB User
Broken wrist!

hi i just wanted to share with u guys the experience i had today, i broke my wrist on friday, was taken to casualty waited 2 1/2 hours untill x ray and then was told that i had to come back in on saturday to get it manipulated because the bone had slipt outta place. i was glad i didnt have to sleep there and my wrist was put in a temporary cast for the night. i had basically about 1 1/2 hour sleep last nite because it hurt well more uncomfortable than painful. anyway i had to get to the hospital at 8 in the morning were i was shown to a bed and told precautions by the pedriatrics person. i then got given a dressing gown thing, i then had to wait 4 hours before i was taken into an anesthetic room where a needle was put into my arm, then things to test my heart rate and oxygen levels things were attached. before i could say goodbye i was asleep and awoke in the recovery room. i was extremely glad that a thin wire wasnt placed in my skin to keep the bones straight as i thought if there was a cut i could possibbly get mrsa, i know ,silly but i was still a bit worried. i am still a little worried as i had a needle put in to make me go to sleep. anyway i got back and had quite a bit of sleep. and at about 5 i was allowed to leave, anyway thanks for hearing me out, its making me feel better sharing my feelings plus this is the 1st time i have broken soming so its a little scary to go through it

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-13-2004, 11:44 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User
Re: Broken wrist!

I wouldn't worry about infection from the IV. Certainly, any opening made in the skin could be infected, but in general infection is the exception in hospitals, not the rule. They sterilize all of their instruments and use brand new needles, and clean your skin beforehand. Basically, getting an IV is no more risk of infection than getting your blood drawn. Anyway, I'm glad that things worked out okay for you, and I hope you feel better soon!

Old 11-14-2004, 04:59 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

Sorry to hear about your break.kehorner is right about the incidence of infection happening.while any opening into the skin raises the possibility of an infection, the chances are very very slim that it would happen through just a needle stick into your skin.Even if they did have to cut into your wrist, the chances would still be pretty slim.I have had three surgeries, the last one was very major and never had any type of infection occur at any time during my healing process or thereafter.i think you will be okay.Just take things easy until you are properly healed and you will be just fine,okay?Marcia

Old 11-15-2004, 09:23 AM   #4
Inactive

yanra HB User

How did you break your wrist? I'm just curious.

Old 11-15-2004, 10:16 AM   #5
(male)

TheTwo^Pigeons HB User

playing football lol.. i was pushed over and landed on it backwards

Closed Thread