It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2004, 11:26 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

flintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB User
Pneumonia shot

Mother in law got the pneumonia shot Friday. Saturday her arm was swollen where the shot was given. Now the area around her elbow is swollen. Seems as though it's moving down her arm. She thinks the nurse didn't get it in the vein and the meds are just collecting in her arm under the skin. Is this possible? It is warm in the swollen area, not streaking or anything and is not painful.........but she is concerned.........

Old 11-15-2004, 02:54 PM   #2

-T- HB User
Re: Pneumonia shot

My dad has the pnuemonia shot himself along with the flu shot. He didn't experience the same thing your mother did but he did contract a bad dose of flu which put him in hospital with a severe lung infection. Im really not sure what it could be. But since its hot to the touch that would make me think something is going on. Possibly an infection of somekind or the nurse did miss the vein like your mother thinks and caused bruising underneath the skin. It could be any number of things or its possible you mother is having an allergic reaction the the shot. I have heard of reactions happening but I dont know of the symptoms.

However, if the swollen area is hot to the touch, discoloured, bruised or itchy I would take your mother to the doctors asap and have this checked out incase its a blood clot. I dont want to scare you and I hope I haven't. But its best to rule it out. I wish you luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-15-2004, 03:40 PM   #3
(female)

dizzyone HB User

My dad got a pne. shot last week his arm where they gave him the shot swelled up then it moved down his arm just to below the elbow then futher down into his hand and fingers then it went away. So it probably maybe common. Check with the doctor again if it doesn,t seem to go away. Sandra

Old 11-15-2004, 03:41 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

twizliz HB User

I get allergy shots every two weeks, and my arm is always swollen where I get the shot. Not to take away from what your MIL is going through.. but that's just a thought.

Old 11-15-2004, 06:45 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

flintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB User

Thanks for replies. it did move down her arm. She said she took a Benedril and it's better today but not completely gone. She called her doc and he told her to go to ER....she went and the wait was very long and she left!!!!!!

Stubborn!!

Closed Thread