It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2004, 08:41 AM   #1
(male)

Interesting Ian HB User
Dizziness for past few days.

Hi,

Last week I started taking St John's wort tablets (one 300mg tablet per day) and high potency vitamin B tablets. However, I only took them for 3 days (Tuesday, Wedesday and Thursday) because on the Friday morning (5 days ago), on getting up, I felt slightly dizzy (as in light-headedness, but nowhere near fainting). This dizziness tended to diminish as the day progressed.

The same pattern occurred on Saturday. On Sunday it was slightly different in that the back of my head to my right felt a bit "heavy".

But on Monday I felt much better! Indeed I assumed that I was now ok.

But yesterday it came back on again . This time a bit of pain/heaviness at the back of my head, but this time to the left. And today I'm just experiencing a generalised slight dizziness.

At first I thought it was the St John's Wort since one of its side effects is dizziness. But it's now 5 and a half days since taking the last tablet (and I only ever took 3 anyway), so I'm guessing it's probably not that. I do suffer from anxiety, so that may be a causal factor. In fact I was fairly worried about something on the Monday night (the day my dizziness almost disappeared) which conceivably might have precipitated the dizziness again.

So what do people think? I have no other symptoms so far as I can ascertain. I'm just wondering if I should book an appointment at the doctor's. Could this be something serious??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2004, 06:21 AM   #2
(male)

Interesting Ian HB User
Re: Dizziness for past few days.

Thanks for responding guys!

Anyway, an update.

Today and yesterday my dizziness has almost gone. I mean when I got up this morning I felt very slightly dizzy for about 30 seconds, then it went.

But I have another problem which might be related. Both on Wednesday night and last night I seem to be having blood circulation problems on the right hand side of my body, as in starting to get numb. You know, when you lie in a certain position and a part of your body starts getting numb? Well, last night it was like that except I started to get numb far too easily and both my right arm and right leg were in the initial stages of getting numb. Hell, it even felt as if the right hand side of my face had slightly lost a little bit of sensation, although conceivably this might just have been imagination on my part. And on Wednesday night my right arm was in the initial stages of getting numb when I sort of leaned on it.

Anyway, I've noticed in the past few months that on the odd occasion my limbs have been getting numb more easily than they should, although it has never been more than one limb at a time on these previous occasions.

Possibly this is connected with my blood pressure and the beta blockers and valsartan I was taking to control it. Previously, at the beginning of this year my blood pressure was at 140/100. Now it's 120/80 and about 4 weeks since I last took any medication (in the form of beta blockers) and my BP shows no sign of going up again. I can't recall getting numb easily before my blood pressure came down, so might this be a causal factor? I mean if my heart isn't pumping so hard, then that might explain why blood isn't being pumped around my body efficiently! On the other hand it shouldn't happen anyway of course.

I had a look on the Net last night, and basically I kept coming across this disease called "Multiple Sclerosis". How plausible is it that it could be that?

Or is it possible it could simply be anxiety (which I suffer from), or some nutritional deficiency of some description etc?

BTW, when I was diagnosed with high blood pressure, I had blood tests and my heart was tested, and apparently everything was absolutely fine. It was just HBP in isolation.

Closed Thread