It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2004, 08:02 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User
Cyst in neck

I have had a cyst in my neck for years. Can someone tell me what a cyst really is? Can it get irritated from a Chiropractor? Can it cause any other symptoms?

Old 11-20-2004, 12:30 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User
Re: Cyst in neck

A cyst is defined as "a closed pocket or pouch of tissue". There is no opening.
There are many different kinds of cysts and they can be filled with air, fluid, pus, or other material.

You can have a cyst virtually anywhere. Cysts within the lung are usually filled with air.Cysts involving the lymph system or kidneys are generally filled with fluid. Certain parasites can form cysts within the muscle, liver, brain, lung, eye.

They're common on the skin and can be casued by infection or the clogging of sebaceous glands.

Not sure what your cyst is, but if you've had it for years, and it's remained stable, causes no pain, isn't red or inflamed or tender, it doesn't sound like something to be concerned about. Has a doctor ever commented on it?

zuzu xx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-21-2004, 07:35 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User

Yes, the Dr said it was a cyst but that's about it. It does get tender a little when I have a neck ache though and I have been going to a Chiropractor to get adjustments on my neck. Can cysts get inflamed and seem bigger from rubbing or the irritation from the adjustments?

Old 11-21-2004, 11:05 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User

Unfortunately,there's no way I can help you answer this question...It would have been nice if your doctor had given you more information. I would call the doc and ask if chiropractic manipulation can pose a problem and while you're at it, ask him what the cyst is comprised of and whether it's with you for life or what! Obviously it wasn't of great concern to the doctor, but again, ask him to explain.

zuzu xxx

Old 11-21-2004, 03:19 PM   #5
(female)

Njank HB User

I had a cyst removed from my neck back in January. It was actually a nuerofibroma caused by my genetic disorder called Neurofibromatosis (NF).
It originated on my vocal cords and grew up the right side of my neck. I had to have it removed since it was growing and causing ear pain and pressure. it ended up being 12 inches long. It felt hard and when they tried to do a needle biopsy nohing came out since it was solid. I think your dr would have suggested a biopsy if he was concered but if you are not satisfied w/ what he/she said get a second opinion. It can not hurt. I waited to long and ended up having my vocal nerve damaged and had to have a second surgery to correct my voice that I lost. Dont mess around if you are unsure. I am not trying to scare you. The is just my own experience. Let me know if you have other questions. You can see an ENT or Head and Neck Surgeon for another opinon and maybe the can do an Ultrasound or CAT scan to see what it is filled with. I do not think manipulation would increase growththrough..but possible pain and irrtation. Goodluck.
Nancy

Last edited by Njank; 11-21-2004 at 03:21 PM.

Closed Thread