It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2004, 10:23 AM   #1

SHAYSER HB User
Advise please!!!

I have been having major sinus problems lately, I went to ent 2 times both times he did nothing at all he never even looked up my nose he said it was from quitting smoking and it would go away in 6 months or so but now my ears are clogged also , and my throat is sore , arent they suppose to scope me or something, because i feel like i am going nuts....

Old 11-22-2004, 12:47 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User
Re: Advise please!!!

No, doctors do not scope for your type problem. Sounds like you either have allergies or caught a virus.

Irrigating sinuses with salt water will help clear out sinuses. Taking an anahistimine with or without a deconjestant will help clear your ears.

There is a virus going around that causes same symptoms you mentioned and ony time for the body to clear. If you have yellor or green mucous coming out then you have an infection and need an antibiotic. If mucous is still clear your body should be able to handle the problem without an antibiotic.

I found recently that gargling with warm Listerin/water relieves the sore throat.

You can buy saline solution or you can make your own for irrigating sinuses. I use 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon baking powder, 1 cup boiled water, mix, strain thru paper coffee filter, put into clean nasal spray bottles. Let cool. Lie on back on bed with head hanging off, quirt few squirts of saline solution into each nostril, turn head slowly from side to side, remain there for a minute or two, say "kkkkkk" while getting up to keep solution from running down throat. Blow nose as needed. This homemade solution should be made fresh every week since there are no preservatives it it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-24-2004, 12:58 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User
Re: Advise please!!!

Marie's advice is really good but you really should see another ENT person. I have a long history of sinus issues: infections, polyps, post nasal drip leading to sore throats, and eventually major sinus surgery and I have never been to an ENT who didn't examine the nasal passages and even if they looked clear, the doctor would STILL examine my sinus cavities via transillumination. Transillumination is an additional diagnostic procedure, carried out in a dark room, in which a very bright flashlight is pressed against the forehead or cheek. It's a good sign if light passes through the sinuses; if little or no light penetrates, then the cavity is clogged with mucus.
However, even this is not always foolproof, and given that I continued to feel pressure and pain, I would get a prescription for at least a steroid spray like Nasocort. When THAT didn't work, the doc finally ordered a CT scan which, lo and behold (!) showed infection that he was not able to pick up in the office.

zuzu xx

Last edited by zuzu8; 11-25-2004 at 02:35 AM.

Closed Thread