It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2004, 10:58 PM   #1
Inactive

Dream0n83 HB User
Dry patch size of 1/2 dollar coin...?

Okay this is going to be hard to decribe.

I have a dry, red sometimes itchy, patch of skin it's in a round form and about the size of a 1/2 dollar coin.

It's been there fora while now and I recently went to the doc to ask about it. She told me it was some type of fungus (sorry cant remember what she called it) but she gave me cream for called ketoconazole. And im suppose to apply twice a day for 2 weeks.

she said this can be something that I get rid of and it can come back if my dog has it? but it hasnt gone away?! and its been over 2 weeks. I dont want to go back because it is the holidays and i do not have insurance to cover.

any idea or if anyone has had something like this please let me know!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-27-2004, 05:17 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Dry patch size of 1/2 dollar coin...?

I am really curious about this "patch' you described as my son has the same thing(or sounds like it) on the inside lower arm.His has been there about two or three weeks and i have been trying to figure out just what it is and how to treat it.It is about the size of a dime,or just maybe slightly bigger?It is mostly reddish in color but if you look real close at it it appears to have a real light color of maybe like yellow spots,or beigeish?From time to time he says it will itch but tries not to scratch.My other son has had impetigo in the past(about five years ago)and it does not really resemble that.He was putting hydrogen peroxide on it everyday and it seemed to be clearing.i don't know why but we switched to using a hydrocort type cream and it seemed to get worse, so now he is back to using the peroxide again.Does this sound like what you are dealing with?Has yours spread at all?My sons seems to stay the same size.would be interested in what you have to say.Thanks,marcia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-27-2004, 05:58 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

hanelo4 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelbad
I am really curious about this "patch' you described as my son has the same thing(or sounds like it) on the inside lower arm.His has been there about two or three weeks and i have been trying to figure out just what it is and how to treat it.It is about the size of a dime,or just maybe slightly bigger?It is mostly reddish in color but if you look real close at it it appears to have a real light color of maybe like yellow spots,or beigeish?From time to time he says it will itch but tries not to scratch.My other son has had impetigo in the past(about five years ago)and it does not really resemble that.He was putting hydrogen peroxide on it everyday and it seemed to be clearing.i don't know why but we switched to using a hydrocort type cream and it seemed to get worse, so now he is back to using the peroxide again.Does this sound like what you are dealing with?Has yours spread at all?My sons seems to stay the same size.would be interested in what you have to say.Thanks,marcia

Hi to both of you

Have any of you checked with the doctor to see if it was ringworm? It is also reddish in color and it makes a circle. Sometimes the outer area is redder than the inner part and it itches too. I think it is caused by animals that go outside. They get it from the dirt outside somehow. You both may want to check this out. My daughter had one not too long ago and it does take a while to go away.

Chantel

Old 11-27-2004, 09:26 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User

Definitely sounds like ringworm. You can buy an antifungal cream over the counter (look for one that says it works for ringworm) for one or two bucks. Also, white vinegar will kill the fungus. If you have animals (cats or dogs, usually...), check them for spots. They will appear as round bald spots that can be flaky or oozing. If you find them on your pet, you need to treat your pet too, otherwise you'll just catch it again. You can use the vinegar to give them a bath, or there are other topical medications and pills. Be sure to vacuum a lot to pick up the fungal spores that have been spread around your house, change your sheets, etc. Good luck.

Old 11-27-2004, 10:41 AM   #5
Inactive

Dream0n83 HB User

Marcia-mine started at about that size. Then one day it was just to itchy to resist. This sounds like it could be. The cream she gave me hasnt really been working. But if you all think it is ringworm (as did my mom) i think i will go buy some "tough acting tinactin"

I've had ring worm once b4 but it was spread all over the inside of my thighs. And Tinactin worked to remove it, it did take like a can and a 1/2 of applying morning and night.

I think I will go buy another can of it, since this cream is a joke. And save myself another doctor trip!

Thanks for the input all!

Old 11-28-2004, 01:32 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

hanelo4 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream0n83
Marcia-mine started at about that size. Then one day it was just to itchy to resist. This sounds like it could be. The cream she gave me hasnt really been working. But if you all think it is ringworm (as did my mom) i think i will go buy some "tough acting tinactin"

I've had ring worm once b4 but it was spread all over the inside of my thighs. And Tinactin worked to remove it, it did take like a can and a 1/2 of applying morning and night.

I think I will go buy another can of it, since this cream is a joke. And save myself another doctor trip!

Thanks for the input all!

You're welcome and I hope the itching stops soon for you both. Also remember to use the medication as long as it states because even if it looks like it's gone, it can still come back if you stop the medication too soon. Good luck.

Chantel

Old 11-28-2004, 05:14 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

my other son has had ringworm(impetigo) before and this does NOT look quite the same.There really is no oozing to speak of like there was when my other son had it.I just remeber a constant oozing and then scabbing of these little raised blisters and this seems to remain pretty flat with no real raised blisters or anything raised really.i need to get him in to the doc anyway as he has developed quite the cough and cold.He definitely needs some stronger cough meds.thanks for all of your help.I will let you know just what I find out.Marcia

Old 11-28-2004, 09:45 AM   #8

bunnee HB User

I was dx with ringworm but it turned out to be somthing else called pityriasis. 3 different dr's said it was ringworm but it wasnt responding to the medications at all. A smart dr finally told me it wasnt ringworm. Pityriasis is usually accompanied by other red spots but the one that looks like ringworm is called a herald patch. There no way to get rid of it and it last 6 weeks much like chicken pox then suddenly goes away. Theres no explaination of how or why u get it. I got it to fade faster by putting cortisone cream on it for a few hrs till it got redish and ugly then washing it with glycerine soap to dry it out. Alternating. Worked for me. Good luck.

Old 11-29-2004, 03:34 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

hanelo4 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelbad
my other son has had ringworm(impetigo) before and this does NOT look quite the same.There really is no oozing to speak of like there was when my other son had it.I just remeber a constant oozing and then scabbing of these little raised blisters and this seems to remain pretty flat with no real raised blisters or anything raised really.i need to get him in to the doc anyway as he has developed quite the cough and cold.He definitely needs some stronger cough meds.thanks for all of your help.I will let you know just what I find out.Marcia

Hi Feelbad

When my daughter had ringworm, she did not have any oozing coming out at all. It was a dry looking circle that had a red ring around it. It itched really bad too. She had to use the ringworm medication for about 3 weeks before it went away for good. Hers did not have any blisters and it wasn't raised either. Is there such a thing as different types of ringworm maybe? Hmmm, I may just have to look that up.

Either way, I hope you find a cure. I know how crazy I get when I itch. Yuck!

Chantel

Old 11-29-2004, 08:27 PM   #10
Inactive

Dream0n83 HB User

yeah mine hasnt had any oozing. Just read and flakey. Im still caking on the cream. I just wan it gone. it's a bit embaressing (sp). Also I dont have several red spots just this one on my left arm. I'll keep yas informed!

Old 11-29-2004, 10:06 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User

Sorry for any confusion... I've only seen the oozing on cats. My two spots were not oozing at all, and only some of the cats had that. Usually in humans it's just red, dry and flaky.

Old 11-30-2004, 05:28 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

I don't know, but everytime that I have seen it it has been oozing and more moist looking,not dry,but i guess it can show up differently on different people.Marcia

Old 11-30-2004, 10:50 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

Ringworm and impetigo are two different conditions. Impetigo oozes.

Pityrisas is supposedly caused by vitamin D deficiency. When I had it, was told to sunbathe. I did and it cleared up shortly, whereas, nothing helped it before. Dermatologists have booths with ultra violet light they use sometimes. Ask your derematologist what treatment you should use.

Do an internet search for Pityrisas Rosea and see what you find.

Old 11-30-2004, 08:09 PM   #14
Inactive

Dream0n83 HB User

thats a great idea marie, im going to go do that right now.

I know she told me a name for it, but it was some "high tech" name that i couldnt pronounce or remember! Thanks!

I just cant wait for this damn thing to clear up. You said they use UV lights? Would a tanning booth help? or no? any clue?

ALRIGHT! I just looked up Pityrisas Rosea on yahoo for images! And there are several of the single dry, red patches that look almost identical to what i have on my arm.

And again some of the other pictures with the small areas of mulitiple red spots reminds me of what i had between my legs about a year ago! And i used tenactin to get rid of it. Like i said b4 i used about a can and a 1/2 b4 it was cured, but not problems over the summer? whats the deal???

Last edited by Dream0n83; 11-30-2004 at 08:22 PM.

Old 12-01-2004, 11:14 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

hillaryb HB User

I thought my 2 year old had ringworm, it turned out to be pityriasis. She had the fiirst spot for weeks before other spots showed up. The doc referred to the first patch as a "herald" mark, as it showed up first and signaled the condition well before it spread. It went away on its own. I had been spraying her with tinactin, which obviously only works on ringworm. Impetigo is an infection. I had that as a toddler, totally different from ringworm. I got it from scratching a bug bite.

Closed Thread