It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2004, 11:44 AM   #1
(male)

criggs1211 HB User
Unhappy Help, 3yr old son always sick

My son as been sick for several months now and we can't figure it out. He has had several test(flu.RSV,pnemonia and sinsus infection) all came back fine. He has also had several blood test done. His 1st CBC showed elevated WBC. 10 days later the second CBC showed normal WBC but low RBC(anemia) along with a SED(ESR) rate of 75(normal is 0-20). 3 days later CBC shows normal WBC & RBC with a SED rate of 35. The Dr had mentioned Leukemia but now she is not sure. We are going to see her again for more blood test in 4 days. He also has had a chronic cough for months and he runs a fever. He has been on several different antibiotic. He will feel better for 3 or 4 days then he starts feeling bad and starts running a fever again. We have been told that he has asthma-which he doesn't, we have been told that he needs his tonsils and adnoides out, we have also been told that he has allergies. We are at our witts end and don't know what to do. Please help!

Last edited by criggs1211; 11-28-2004 at 11:57 AM.

Old 11-28-2004, 06:30 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

BioAdoptMom3 HB User
Re: Help, 3yr old son always sick

Has he been tested for strep? Sometimes they can have that without even having a sore throat. Is he in daycare? I know with all three of ours until they were in preschool it seemed as if they were always sick, literally as often as your little one seems to be getting sick. It would be an ear infection, then strep two days after finishing antibiotics, then a virus and so on. It also could indeed be allergies or constantly infected tonsils.

Whatever it is, I hope it isn't serious and that he feels better SOON!

Nancy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-28-2004, 06:37 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

goody2shuz HB Usergoody2shuz HB User

Usually with leukemia you will see a decreased platelet count with small pintype bruising on the skin called pettichia.(?sp) The bloodwork seems to show improvement....if he doesn't seem better perhaps get yourselves a second opinion from an immonolgist/hematologist who will run further tests....good luck..Goody

Old 11-28-2004, 06:40 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

if he has anemia than its proly a malabsorption,, get him tested for celiac disease asap..or remove all wheat products from his daily diet, see how he does..try giving him..plain rice, steak, veggies, fruits, potatoes(fresh)..maybe milk, eggs..try those..

let us know

Old 11-29-2004, 08:16 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

Sometimes it is a matter of getting tonsils and adenoids removed. DH's family all had horrible ear infections, bouts of strep, etc. which basically disappeared after their surgery.

DS on the otherhand has cystic fibrosis, which was discovered at birth; however, I've heard that a lot of times the way it's discovered is because of lots of upper respiratory infections (pneumonia).

In any event, keep after those doctors, until they figure out what's wrong. You don't want to risk lung damage because they've missed a dx on something that can easily be treated.

Old 11-29-2004, 11:28 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Hi criggs1211. I am sorry your little guy is sick. I think it may be a good idea to have him evaluated for tick-borne infections. Lyme disease and the other infections ticks can transmit can cause the symptoms you describe.

Lyme disease is treated with antibiotics. Often, when people with Lyme take antibiotics their symptoms get worse or they get new ones. When the antibiotics kill the bacteria, toxins are released making them feel sicker. It is actually a good sign that the antibiotics are working. This is called a Jarisch-Herxheimer Reaction (herx). It sounds like he may be experiencing this.

When Lyme disease is a possibility, it is very important to see a knowledgeable doctor. No test is completely relialbe and results can vary by lab. Where do you live?

Old 11-29-2004, 03:43 PM   #7
(male)

criggs1211 HB User

Thanks everyone for your replies. I take him back to the dr on Wed. I will have some good questions to ask her now. I will update after the appointment. Thanks again!

Old 11-29-2004, 04:18 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

hillaryb HB User

Im sure he already was, but you didnt mention whether or not he was tested for mono. My 2 year old got that over the summer and was sick with random fevers and ear infections for months. During that time she would get a little better, run another fever, and never seemed to be doing all that well. She gets sick alot with ear infections and strep, and mono really took the cake! After that, she got a rash called pitiriasis which is commonly found in adolescents. I cannot for the life of me figure out why she is always sick!

Old 11-29-2004, 05:54 PM   #9
(male)

criggs1211 HB User

No he has not been tested for mono, but I will ask the dr if it is a possibility and to test for it. At this point I am willing to have him tested for everything. Thanks

Closed Thread