It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2004, 04:15 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Dark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB User
Constant nausea, part 2

I know I posted here before concerning my constant nausea, and I attributed it to antibiotics I was taking at the time. But it has been about 2 weeks since I went off the antibiotics, and my nausea is still lingering, and I haven't a clue why.

But this nausea is unlike any nausea I've ever felt before; it isn't a "sick to my stomach" feeling - in other words, the nautious feeling is not in my stomach region. As strange as this may sound, the nausea, which is a rather dull feeling (I have felt far worse sickness before), is isolated a small distance below my rib cage in the middle.

Another strange thing about my sickness is that I have a constant feeling of something in my throat. That is what has really thrown me trying to figure out the cause of my nausea; deep in my throat, perhaps where my neck meets my shoulder area, is where I feel this. It feels as if something is trying to be vomited, but it refuses to come up - a "hairball", if you will.

I can guarantee, though, that if I was to watch or see something disgusting, I would surely throw up. But this is a bizarre new ailment.

I have not vomited; on one occasion only I dry heaved; I had coffee that morning, and I knew for sure it would have come up had I actually vomited. But all I did was sort of yack, releasing nothing. I have never again dry heaved.

I've been taking antacids like no one's business, and neither eating nor starving helps my sick feeling; also, there is nothing that seems to agitate it either.

And a note: For those of you who are wondering, I'm not pregnant, so I think I can safely rule out morning sickness (and no need to ask me "Are you sure?", because I'm not doing anything that could impregnate me ^-^).

I haven't had any stomach cramping, bloating, gas, etc. I don't believe this is a stomach problem. I do not have heartburn (but I do get occasional chest pain, especially in the center of my chest and in my ribs directly beneath my breasts).

Does anyone have any clue what could be causing me this odd nautious sensation?

Dark Stranger - queasy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-28-2004, 05:19 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User
Re: Constant nausea, part 2

You may have gastritis. What does your doctor think the problem is?

Old 11-28-2004, 05:27 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Dark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB User

Both my doctor and my ENT tried to tell me that pregnancy was the only explanation for sudden nausea (I went to my ENT complaining of nausea while on antibiotics). I did go to my doctor complaining of a burning pain in my stomach, as well as black stools, and she actually suggested gastritis, but by the time I went in for my appointment with her, the symptoms were gone. She nevertheless put me on Prevacid. Now the only time my tummy burns is when I don't eat. I don't even know what I had wrong with me at that particular time or what caused it.

But wouldn't I need more than one symptom for my sickness to be considered gastritis...or anything at all?

Dark Stranger - feels really queasy

Old 11-28-2004, 06:07 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

iv had nausea for like 20 years and, no one new what was causing it to be.. until they found i was celiac with an allergy to gluten..gluten is poison for me it might be poison for you too..i dunno just saying..if it is then you have to change everything you are eating and, drinking..because it is everywhere..try drinking lots of water, tropicana ornage juice, fresh chickne breast, plain rice, veggies and, fruits for a few days..see how you feel..if it goes away then it is stuff you are eating...no bread, cereals, cookies, nothing of that..try it let us know..

bye

Old 11-29-2004, 03:27 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

hanelo4 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Stranger
I know I posted here before concerning my constant nausea, and I attributed it to antibiotics I was taking at the time. But it has been about 2 weeks since I went off the antibiotics, and my nausea is still lingering, and I haven't a clue why.

But this nausea is unlike any nausea I've ever felt before; it isn't a "sick to my stomach" feeling - in other words, the nautious feeling is not in my stomach region. As strange as this may sound, the nausea, which is a rather dull feeling (I have felt far worse sickness before), is isolated a small distance below my rib cage in the middle.

Another strange thing about my sickness is that I have a constant feeling of something in my throat. That is what has really thrown me trying to figure out the cause of my nausea; deep in my throat, perhaps where my neck meets my shoulder area, is where I feel this. It feels as if something is trying to be vomited, but it refuses to come up - a "hairball", if you will.

I can guarantee, though, that if I was to watch or see something disgusting, I would surely throw up. But this is a bizarre new ailment.

I have not vomited; on one occasion only I dry heaved; I had coffee that morning, and I knew for sure it would have come up had I actually vomited. But all I did was sort of yack, releasing nothing. I have never again dry heaved.

I've been taking antacids like no one's business, and neither eating nor starving helps my sick feeling; also, there is nothing that seems to agitate it either.

And a note: For those of you who are wondering, I'm not pregnant, so I think I can safely rule out morning sickness (and no need to ask me "Are you sure?", because I'm not doing anything that could impregnate me ^-^).

I haven't had any stomach cramping, bloating, gas, etc. I don't believe this is a stomach problem. I do not have heartburn (but I do get occasional chest pain, especially in the center of my chest and in my ribs directly beneath my breasts).

Does anyone have any clue what could be causing me this odd nautious sensation?

Dark Stranger - queasy

Hi there

You must be my twin because I have the same exact symptoms. Do you gag when you brush your teeth or hold anything in your mouth? I am going to have an upper GI done in a few weeks to see if my Ulcer is back. The first time I was diagnosed with having an Ulcer, I had all of these symptoms. When I eat.......about 20 minutes or so later, I feel like I have to vomit. Most of the time if I do vomit, not much comes out and sometimes when I vomit while brushing my teeth(I know, YUCK!), it is just that mediciney stuff that comes up. I am also constantly nauseated. I do also have gastritis(inflamtion of your stomach), but my symptoms are more bloating than anything. I have also been eating pepcid like candy lately.

I am curious to see what it is when I have my GI done. If you want, I can let you know what my doctor says and we can compare notes. Still go to a doctor though. I don't think it's just pregnancy.

Chantel

Old 11-29-2004, 03:33 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

hanelo4 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Stranger
Both my doctor and my ENT tried to tell me that pregnancy was the only explanation for sudden nausea (I went to my ENT complaining of nausea while on antibiotics). I did go to my doctor complaining of a burning pain in my stomach, as well as black stools, and she actually suggested gastritis, but by the time I went in for my appointment with her, the symptoms were gone. She nevertheless put me on Prevacid. Now the only time my tummy burns is when I don't eat. I don't even know what I had wrong with me at that particular time or what caused it.

But wouldn't I need more than one symptom for my sickness to be considered gastritis...or anything at all?

Dark Stranger - feels really queasy

The Prevacid will help if you do have Gastritis or an Ulcer. The only way to know for sure is to have an upper GI done. The burning in the stomach could be both. I had both symptoms with Gastritis and with the Ulcer I had. My doctor told me back then that if it woke me up at night that it was an Ulcer. I'm getting all that again, so I'm sure that is what I have.

Either way, take the Prevacid. It will help you out a lot. It may take up to 14 days to work properly though, but it does work.

Chantel

Old 11-29-2004, 03:43 AM   #7

Jaclynann HB User

Sorry to hear about your nausea, it does not sound very pleasant. My daughter recently went through something that sounds similar. She had constant nausea and a feeling like something was stuck in her throat. She'd gone from 112 lbs to 102 lbs. and it lasted for about 4 months. Turns out it was anxiety - once she started telling people when she got upset (instead of holding it all in) the nausea started going away. Stress can really wreak havoc on the body! Just a thought.......... Good luck!

Old 11-29-2004, 08:50 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Anxiety? Wow...didn't think anxiety could cause sickness O.o

Maybe I am anxious...I have been a little nervous thinking about my blood test (a rheumatologist suggested a connective tissue disorder), and perhaps the fact that I'm practically convincing myself that I actually am pregnant from listening to everyone telling me that when I know very well I'm not.

I'm just a hypochondriac - when I began having constant headaches the first thing I though was "brain tumor", when it was my sinuses.

I have been trying to keep my cool, but I just have this little nagging feeling deep inside telling me that everything that has been happening to me is something that is lie-threatening. I don't know. Maybe I'm just nuts XD

But thank you all so much for your advice; I appreciate everyone's input very very much. Hopefully, my nausea will clear up (trust me, the headaches are plenty for me!)

Dark Stranger - "hairball" feeling + chest pain + headaches = no fun

Old 12-17-2004, 06:57 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

I apologize a hundred times over for bringing this ancient topic back, but sadly I still suffer from nausea, and at this point, after an experiment, I have come to find out that I seriously do not think I have the ability to vomit anymore. I do not have an eating disorder, but just as a test I stuck my fingers down my throat at home yesterday five times in a row, and all I did was dry heave. I had lunch in my stomach, and I definitely felt sick, but nothing came up.

As I had said before, my nausea is not a stomach nausea - it feels as if the vomit is already halfway up my throat and is trying to come up, but it simply cannot. I can relieve this "bubble" feeling temporarily by forcefully belching; before when I would make myself belch, I would feel acid rise up into my throat (sorry for being graphic), but now I can make myself belch as many times consecutively as I desire and nothing will come up.

Is my throat closing or something? Is that possible?

I am not under any major stress, not pregnant, not anything.

I believe I still have tiny traces of my sinus infection, but I have had this sick feeling for far too long and I do not like it. I don't know what this sickness is from; I have not changed my diet, my daily routine, etc.

Dark Stranger - sick of being sick

Old 12-17-2004, 08:30 AM   #10
(female)

yawningdog HB User

These are the symptoms that I started with back in October. In November, I figured out that I did not have the flu or a sinsus infection, but that a medicine had shut my liver down. I hate to think that you have this, it has been pretty yucky. But....
What anitbotic were you taking? and is your urine darker than normal or your stools lighter than normal? and do you feet or hand itch?

ANd odn't worry about being graphic, you can't help that on these boards.

Old 12-17-2004, 08:52 AM   #11
Senior Veteran

Sunlover HB User

I had that too - and like Jaclyn's sister, mine was anxiety! It felt like a puke ball was stuck in the throat and no matter what it wouldn't come out. It would feel like it would just RISE by itself and then SIT there! I went from 135 pounds to 110 pounds (I'm 5'6"! So I was looking anorexic already!) And yes!! If I would try to burp, it would just bring acid into my throat! It lasted about 4 months also. By the time it got to the worst point, I could hardly MOVE without just gagging, it was the most horrible thing! I'd be laying on the bed and if the phone rang and I had to turn over, I couldn't answer it because I'd start gagging. It was a nightmare!! But it did go away and I gained all that weight back PLUS some! So if it is anxiety, hope is on the horizen!
The reason MINE kept getting worse is because I practically stopped eating! I have a horrible phobia of throwing up and when that lump came I'd be afraid to eat, afraid I'd throw up! I was down to about 3 bites of chicken a day and water! After about 2 weeks of that is when the gagging started and then I'd eat NOTHING! So those antibiotics could have stressed out your stomach and the "lump" now is anxiety OR it could be an irritation from the acid - either way, it'll go away.

Old 12-17-2004, 07:48 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

Thanks for the advice, Sunlover. That makes me feel better about my situation. I'll attempt to calm down, but between recurrent chest pain, a urinary tract infection, and muscle pain, I'ma mess and I always feel horrible and it's hard to enjoy anything.

Oh well...I'll just hope I guess. Thanks again, everyone who replied.

Dark Stranger - takes deep breaths

Old 12-19-2004, 10:24 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

blondy2061h HB User

I was nauseas constantly with lots of vomiting before I was diagnosed with GERD. Maybe if you see a GI doctor they can help. None of my other doctors could help. I had no other symptoms of GERD- not even heartburn. I just vomiting like no one's business. I also lost a lot of weight. It didn't come on so much suddenly, but I always threw up easily, and it became more a more frequent until it was 4+ times a day.

Old 12-31-2004, 12:39 AM   #14

Layzie Bone HB User

I have been experiencing the same thing. This has been going on for a long time now and it's on and off. The real weird thing is, it seems like a different type of nausea. It doesn't feel like that sick to your stomach feeling like u said, it doesn't feel like it's coming from my stomach really. It's a dull feeling and it feels like it is actually coming from the back of my throat. LIke there is something in tha back of my throat, something invisible. Not a chocking feeling or like there is an object in there, but that is where the feeling or sensation is. If i don't eat, it doesn't help and if i eat, it doesn't help. Even if i have an empty stomach, i get soooo nauseated. I've been hearing alot of people with this same type of problem lately all over the net, i've been wonderin if this is some new type of illness that no one really knows about yet.

Old 12-31-2004, 01:38 PM   #15
(female)

tiggerwoo HB User

Try taking natural yoghurt......... the sort with all the bio cultures in. They are excellent for restoring the balance in your gastric tract, or if you have a shop that sells yakult will do the same. Often helps with stomach problems.
Clare

Closed Thread