It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2004, 02:23 PM   #1
(male)

shoreido HB User
Right side submandibular gland swollen

So I've seen a nurse practitioner, two doctors, and a surgeon who cannot tell me what's going on.

Anyhow, my "submandibular" gland, only on the right side, has been swollen for over a month. It started the day after I got a small piece of food stuck down deep under my tongue, in the back, like below the gum line of my last molar. I didn't think much of it until recently, my throat has been sore, and the glad is very tender to the touch. It comes and goes but is always sore, and very dry, in the morning. (although the gland isn't very swollen).

Each doctor I've seen gets all defensive when I suggest this, and tells me they don't think so, but could it be that I just have infection in my gland? Or possibly the food had nothing to do with it, but I do have a "salivary gland stone"?

I've tried eating sour candy, I'm not sure that it helps much, but there's one weird thing I've found. I don't know if anyone, as a kid, ever "glicked" (that's what we called it). Sometimes it just happens when you yawn, but you can squirt a little saliva out of the bottom of your tongue. Well, eat some lemon drops and you REALLY can! But, I'm only squirting out, ironically, the left side.

I see an ENT later this week, and am really not looking forward to having a camera stuck up my nose to look in my throat. Might they just ultrasound or CT me?

Has anyone had any experience with these kinds of symptoms?

-j

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-02-2004, 05:33 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

lori j HB User
Re: Right side submandibular gland swollen

I had similar symptoms from TMJ. Is your throat actually a sore throat, or is the tissue on the roof of your mouth sore? When my TMJ acts up, the roof of my mouth, way back where it is soft tissue gets swollen & very sore, plus also have swollen glands by my ear, under the chin area & in my neck from the TMJ. Have you been under stress, clenching your teeth or grinding them, if so, it could be TMJ. It took me almost a year & 3 doctors to figure this out. I also had ear pain with it, plus a sore & swollen back molar gum.

Old 04-21-2005, 08:05 AM   #3
(female)

afuji HB User

I know this post is a little old, but I wanted to add that I have this problem too. It hurts so bad underneath my tongue mostly when I talk. I am going to an ENT soon, but I believe now that it could be from clenching. I have been extremely stressed and anxious and this problem came shortly after a stressful experience that I am still trying to get over. I even catch myself clenching during the day, so I'm sure I do it at night. Wondering if a muscle relaxant would help?

Old 04-21-2005, 08:58 AM   #4
(female)

cutiecat HB User

Sounds like the salivary gland stone is blocking your duct under your tongue. This causes pain and a swollen gland, if too much saliva gets backed up it can cause and infection in your salivary gland which is the most painful experience I have ever had. My advice is to drink LOTS of water so your saliva stays thin and eat sour candy which will keep the saliva moving.

If your stone is near the front of the duct the ENT can usually manuever it out but in my case the stone was too far back and I had to have my entire gland removed. Not fun but well worth it.

I too had a hard time getting my doctors to figure out what was going on. The ENT is your best bet as they have seen this before they can do a simple X-Ray and see the stone and possibly a dye test to see if your duct in being blocked.

Good luck!

Old 04-22-2005, 02:25 AM   #5
(female)

Miss L HB User

Hi there so glad i found this,

the underneath of my tongue seems inflated, and when i start to eat or drink the gland gets sore just at the side of my jaw my back teeth hurt and my gums are red and inflamed and there is what looks like inflamed salivery glands small onesinside the lower part of the left lip, ive now developed a small swelling under my tongue i cannot see anything but it feels like its water filled, and i cannot see my duct at this side, does this sound like infection or stone?, i did hear that saliver can back up if the gland is blocked and cause a ranula? not sure of the spelling but its sore when it starts i feel like i can sometimes have to rub my gland to get the saliver to move?

i have been diagnosed with TMJD and seen an oral surgeon but this started after by the way i did have something going on whith the other gland last year just all swelled up was sore for a week and then went ok again my doc said eather a stone that moved its self or mumps, im going back to the docks as i always feel pain in this side of my face any ideas?

Miss L

Old 04-22-2005, 09:34 AM   #6
(female)

cutiecat HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss L
Hi there so glad i found this,

the underneath of my tongue seems inflated, and when i start to eat or drink the gland gets sore just at the side of my jaw my back teeth hurt and my gums are red and inflamed and there is what looks like inflamed salivery glands small onesinside the lower part of the left lip, ive now developed a small swelling under my tongue i cannot see anything but it feels like its water filled, and i cannot see my duct at this side, does this sound like infection or stone?, i did hear that saliver can back up if the gland is blocked and cause a ranula? not sure of the spelling but its sore when it starts i feel like i can sometimes have to rub my gland to get the saliver to move?

i have been diagnosed with TMJD and seen an oral surgeon but this started after by the way i did have something going on whith the other gland last year just all swelled up was sore for a week and then went ok again my doc said eather a stone that moved its self or mumps, im going back to the docks as i always feel pain in this side of my face any ideas?

Miss L
Yes it sounds like maybe a stone blockage. I always felt pain and pressure of saliva build up when I would eat or drink anything which was the most annoying thing. I would also have to rub under my chin to get the saliva to come out. Definitely ask your doctor to do a x-ray, if it is a stone it will show up as it is made of calcium. Good luck at the doctors I hope you find out what is causing your problem.

Old 04-22-2005, 10:39 AM   #7
(female)

Miss L HB User

What other pain did you feel with it,
i had a panoramic xray done at the hospital just to look at the jaw joint would they not have seen it? or do they do a detailed xray?

Miss L

Old 04-22-2005, 03:19 PM   #8
(female)

cutiecat HB User

Quote:
What other pain did you feel with it,
i had a panoramic xray done at the hospital just to look at the jaw joint would they not have seen it? or do they do a detailed xray?

Miss L
Well mostly I felt the pressure when the saliva built up. My submandibular gland was way bigger than on the other side and my gland would be tender. When my gland got infected from too much saliva build up I actually had pus come out of the duct under my tongue, the pain was excruciating. I never wanted to go through that again so that is when I decided to see my ENT. My ENT said if my gland got infected too many times it could actually cause nerve damage so we decided to take it out.

A panoramic may show the stone if the stone was level with your jaw bone it may not show up. I had side and top view X-rays taken. Now looking back at my old dental x-rays the stone was always present but my dentist was only looking at my teeth and not for a stone so it can be easily missed.

Last edited by cutiecat; 04-22-2005 at 03:20 PM.

Old 04-22-2005, 04:18 PM   #9
(female)

Miss L HB User

Hi there did the saliver build up affect your ears did you feel pain in your ears? you have been very helpfull

Miss L

Old 04-23-2005, 06:23 PM   #10
(female)

cutiecat HB User

Quote:
Hi there did the saliver build up affect your ears did you feel pain in your ears? you have been very helpfull

Miss L

Only when my gland got infected my gums on that side and inner ear were sore and tender. When the infection was gone all those symptoms cleared except for the saliva pressure.

Old 04-24-2005, 04:50 AM   #11
(female)

Miss L HB User

when you got the sore ear was it like a sharp stinging pain was the build up of saliva like a stinging in the side of your face?

Miss L

Old 04-24-2005, 04:56 AM   #12
(female)

Miss L HB User

Was your pain worse later in the day? mine is i think thats because the saliver maybe comes out at night and the slowly starts to build up again in the day and after eating a drinking

Miss L

Old 04-24-2005, 05:17 PM   #13
(female)

cutiecat HB User

Quote:
when you got the sore ear was it like a sharp stinging pain was the build up of saliva like a stinging in the side of your face?

Miss L
The pain in my ear was a dull pain I really noticed it when I would swallow though, the build of saliva always felt like pressure and sharp pain mostly in my submandibular gland right after I ate.

Old 04-24-2005, 05:20 PM   #14
(female)

cutiecat HB User

Quote:
Was your pain worse later in the day? mine is i think thats because the saliver maybe comes out at night and the slowly starts to build up again in the day and after eating a drinking

Miss L
The pain I felt was always most noticeable in the early morning after a whole night of the saliva being trapped. I would have to massage under my chin to get that saliva going. It was always present when I ate or drank anything as well. I'm so glad I don't have to deal with that anymore, I really hope you find out what is causing your problems.

Old 04-27-2005, 05:17 PM   #15
(female)

troubled t HB User

i agree it sounds like your salivary gland is clogged.if you have not seen a dentist yet maybe they can help. my husband had the very same symptoms and fortunately i work in a dds office and told my boss about it he said for him to come in. he did that day ,sat in the chair the doc "milked "the gland and sure enough, it was hard to see but the "stone" came out and relief was instant. he was tender for one more day but compared to the weeks he had pain one more day didn't matter hope this helps.

Closed Thread