It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2004, 08:33 PM   #1
(male)

Bobco HB User
Lab test clarification

I recently had a routine blood test and the following was discovered:

The doctor said I have too much water in my system which is causing me to have low sodium in my blood. This is confusing to me. You would think that having too much water in my system would be resulting from "high" sodium in my blood, not low sodium. I am presently taking a water pill in combination with a high blood pressure pill to control my high blood pressure.

Can anyone explain this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2004, 10:36 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User
Re: Lab test clarification

Actually, when you drink alot of water, you are flushing alot of salt out of your body through urine. Sometimes drinking too much water can be bad though.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2004, 11:06 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User
Re: Lab test clarification

The sodium concentration isn't the result of the water, it's because of the water. If you are retaining a lot of water and not enough sodium, then you can get low sodium. Basically you have whatever amount of sodium particles in your body. So if you have extra water, those sodium particles become diluted and the ratio of sodium to other stuff is low. So the water pill will help get rid of the extra water so the sodium is no longer diluted.

Closed Thread