It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2004, 12:28 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

luv2sing HB User
Yikes! Did I break or fracture something?

I work in a restuaurant and yesterday as I was walking out of the kitchen with both hands full of food, my feet completely went out from under me-because I slipped on a milkshake someone didn't wipe up well-and fell on my rear (or so I thought) on the hard tile floor. (If a quick-thinking waiter didn't grab my head, it would have hit the floor as well as my entire back.) I was a bit sore and figured that I would just have a bruised behind. Not so. A few hours later I could feel a tightening at the very bottom of my tailbone-not to sound weird, but right between my cheeks. Later that night, I sat cross-legged on my bed and the PAIN! OMG! It still hurts today while walking and going up stairs, but its ok as I sit at my computer. I am just worried that I fractured my tailbone or something. I have no insurance yet so cannot afford x-rays. I am just really thinking that I did some damage because I went down hard. I highly doubt I broke it because I would know it, right?

Old 12-03-2004, 01:11 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User
Re: Yikes! Did I break or fracture something?

It is highly possible you bruised your tailbone. I have had that happen and it is very painful. My mom has been thrown off a horse and broke hers. If I remember correctly, there isn't much you can do for it. She and I were given donuts to sit on and pain meds. I took Ibuprophen and tylenol, she got the strong stuff. I suggest icing it, avoid sitting on it and take some anti-inflammitory meds like the motrin. If it gets worse, you'd better get in to see someone. Good luck to you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-03-2004, 05:29 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

Did you report this to anyone at work after it happened?you should NOT have to worry about whether or not YOU actually have insurance as this happened at work and is considered a work related injury which is covered under workmans comp,not you personally.If there was no injury report done then it needs to be done now,by manager.whether or not the manager even saw it,a report will also need to be done by the witness.after that they need to send you to a doc for eval.You need this looked at for any possible breaks or other injury as this could prevent you from even working in the future.Whether or not YOU can actually pay or even have ins is not relevent as this is the direct responsibility of your employer.Now get started on all of that paperwork and get yourself to the doc for eval.Marcia

Old 12-03-2004, 07:31 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

luv2sing HB User

Well, about 3 other servers saw me fall and when the one manager saw me get up, she asked if I was ok and I was kinda laughing a bit because I was embarrassed-I mean I fell in front of the whole restaurant plus I didn't think I was THAT hurt. So I thought since nothing was done at the time that it would be too late now. No one filled out an accident report or anything-which I thought was odd because when I managed my store, if someone got a PAPER CUT,we had to fill out an accident report, ya know?

I am not the first person to fall-another guy fell on his knee and was out of work for awhile and still has to wear a brace. But someone told me that nothing could be done because he didn't report it right away.

I am going to call OSHA today and see what safty issue is violated here because that floor can obviously get slippery and there are no mats or anything. I know that if a floor is wet, they are supposed to put a "wet floor" sign up which they didn't.

Old 12-03-2004, 10:07 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jenetti HB User

Doesnt matter if you filed paperwork right away or not hon. You had witnesses and you should go to the manager and say i'd like to file an accident report. Tell her you were shook up from the fall and embarrassment you didnt think straight right away, but that you are concerned and want to be checked by a doctor. THEY SHOULD pay for the visits, especially since theyd prefer to do that, than to be sued. I once fell in a grocery store, slipped on a grape peel that was stuck on the floor. My whole body went down and landed on one knee, with the other leg going out straight forward. I went to find the manager , by the time i found him i had a HUGE lump that formed very quickly the size of an egg and was changing colors even by then. I had insurance but felt my insurance should not have to pay for what happened due to the grocery stores negligence. The store paid for all my xrays, medical bills . Im not one to sue, and have never sued for anything, just glad that in this case they were the ones who knew they were in the wrong, and were very concenred (probably on getting sued)so they offered right away to pay for the bills. I even got called once or twice a week to check on my progress. So, file that paperwork
Jen

Old 12-03-2004, 10:10 AM   #6
Inactive

eightball61 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2sing

I am going to call OSHA today and see what safty issue is violated here because that floor can obviously get slippery and there are no mats or anything. I know that if a floor is wet, they are supposed to put a "wet floor" sign up which they didn't.

Thats a good plan but since you did get an injury at work you have to report that to a supervisor as soon a possible. It is a work related incident and you can put in a Worker's Comp claim if you go see doctor or miss work time. Its your works duty to properly secure a wet area. I worked in the resturant business for 5 years and a lot of them like to clean floors early so they dont have to stay any latter. Itis a real hazard and hopefully something like this will get things changed. I am sorry you had to be the one to go through it but let us know how it goes and I wish you the best. Call your family doctor also to see if you can get it checked today and if not and still continues to hurt the go to the ER.

Old 12-03-2004, 03:34 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

But Before You See A Dr You Have To Do The Paperwork Or That Can Mess Stuff Up, Remember That.

Old 12-03-2004, 03:39 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

luv2sing HB User

Ok-I am kinda worried because I noticed to day that itis hurting a bit more and my stool was dark.

I don't work again until Sunday so I will have to get the paper work done then. The other guy who fell apparently was told that they would not do anything because he didn't report it right away. Way too many people have fallen atthis place already due to slippery floors. I thought that restaurants were required to have those mats down in the kitchen area, but I guess not.

Old 12-04-2004, 04:40 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

It does not matter if you did not get the paperwork done right away.It WAS a winessed fall and they ARE liable.Do not wait til you work again, go today,this really needs to be done asap after any accident.you also need to bring part of that paperwork with you when you see the doc,as the treating doc has to fill out some of it too.please don't wait any longer.You really need some x rays of the area to check for possible fractures.The doc will also be able to Rx you something for the pain.I also don't think you should be working until you are officially cleared by your doc or workers comp doc.This whole situation needs your immediate attention.if your employer refuses to provide you with the proper paperwork so you can get this process started, then it is time to call osha.good luck,Marcia

Old 12-04-2004, 06:11 AM   #10
Inactive

eightball61 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelbad
It does not matter if you did not get the paperwork done right away.It WAS a winessed fall and they ARE liable.Do not wait til you work again, go today,this really needs to be done asap after any accident.you also need to bring part of that paperwork with you when you see the doc,as the treating doc has to fill out some of it too.please don't wait any longer.You really need some x rays of the area to check for possible fractures.The doc will also be able to Rx you something for the pain.I also don't think you should be working until you are officially cleared by your doc or workers comp doc.This whole situation needs your immediate attention.if your employer refuses to provide you with the proper paperwork so you can get this process started, then it is time to call osha.good luck,Marcia

Take this advice all the way....Let us know.

Old 12-04-2004, 12:25 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

luv2sing HB User

I am concerned with the dark stool-it was dark again today.Could I be bleeding internally?

Old 12-04-2004, 12:34 PM   #12
Inactive

eightball61 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2sing
I am concerned with the dark stool-it was dark again today.Could I be bleeding internally?

GO to your local ER to have it check on..

Closed Thread