It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2004, 11:18 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Dark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB User
17-year-old asks about possible causes of chest discomfort

For nearly two months, I have felt some sort of discomfort in my chest. It began in the center of my chest in that little area between my collar bone and my breasts, and it was a light cramp-like pain. But then it worsened; it burned at times. Then it started to spread to the sides of my chest. On a couple of occasions, the pain would be on the side and would spread to my inner shoulder and even to my back, between my shoulder blades only.

Most of the time my chest is sore, like someone punched me. If I poke almost anywhere on my chest or in my rib cage, I will feel soreness. This chest pain has been on and off, and it is not as bad as it was currently, but it's still annoying. Other times it feels like someone is pulling the skin up on my chest, giving me that "tight" feeling.

As well as burning, I feel numbing sensations sometimes now. Just the other evening, the right side of my chest felt cold and numb, while on the left side I swear, it felt like something was slithering through my chest. It creeped me out.

This discomfort, tightness, pain, whatever you wish to call it, has not [yet] interfered with breathing, and never have I felt a sudden cramp that made me grasp my chest in pain. The pain is dull to moderate and is almost constant.

I thought that my chest pain, as well as back pain, were the result of a connective tissue disorder, but after a series of blood tests, I was found not to have lupus, scleroderma, etc. So now I'm completely stumped.

I don't know how many 17-year-old girls have chest pain out of nowhere...I could be imagining it all, but if I am it's got to be one of the strongest illusions I've ever experienced O.o And as final info, I do not play any sports, do any heavy lifting (except when I lift myself out of bed in the morning ), or have any heart problems.

Can you guys offer me any advice? My doctor is of no help to me.

What could be possible causes for my chest discomfort?

Dark Stranger - feeling like a punching bag

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2004, 05:45 PM   #2
(female)

balleteach HB User
Re: 17-year-old asks about possible causes of chest discomfort

Hi, It sounds like you might have a condition called costochondritis. It's inflammation of the cartilage between the ribs and breastbone and can radiate around the ribs to the back and shoulders,etc.This condition is benign and usually goes away eventually, but can become chronic. Google the word for a lot of info. Also check this board, probably under bone disorders or arthritis for more info. I have posted about this condition before. Keep posting with updates. Good luck, balletteach

Closed Thread