It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2004, 06:33 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

twizliz HB User
Cortisone Shots

I have been having problems with my shoulder following being hit by a car. I am doing physical therapy and it still really hurts. I am taking about 1500 mg of nabumetone a day.. but it doesn't really help that much, and it makes my stomach hurt. The accident occured about a month ago, and I have been taking the med ever since. I was wondering if a cortisone shot might be a better idea. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Old 12-05-2004, 09:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User
Re: Cortisone Shots

Cortisone shots can be very helpful if administered correctly. However, there are risks. Infection, for one. Also, the shots can cause tissues in the area to weaken. I don't know how much of a risk this is for the shoulder. If it is something your doctor has suggested, you should carefully review the risks and benefits before making a decision.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-11-2004, 06:44 PM   #3
(female)

kali23 HB User

The only experience I've had with cortizone shots was with my feet... I have plantar fascitis, and after many other treatments, I decided to try the shot. I previously heard stories about the shot being extremely painful (and I have a low tolerance to pain), but it was not much worse than any other shot, and it gave me tremendous relief for over a year. I'd consider it if I were you, but as Kehorner suggested, it's a good idea to weigh the options. I wasn't aware of the negative risks, so it would be worth looking into. Good luck.

Old 12-12-2004, 06:23 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User

Shoulder injuries can take an enormously long time to heal. I had a frozen shoulder a few years ago with practically zero range of motion.
Before the doc recommended physical therapy, he tried a cortisone shot into the shoulder and sent me home with a print-out that warned me that "you may experience more pain after the shot than before, but this will subside within 24 hours"

Well. A half hour goes by. No problem. An hour. Hmm, I feel nothing. 1 1/2 hours, nothing, and then WHAMMO at the two hour mark I could not believe how much pain slammed into my upper body! It was mind-boggling, bring-you-to-your-knees pain.
I could not move my arm at all, nor did I want to. My boyfriend had to cut me out of my T-shirt with a scissors because I could not manoeuver my arm enough to get it off.
I could not lie down without the pain TRIPLING... so I went to "bed" that night propped up in a sitting position.

Bottom line, the acute post-injection pain they warned me about DID go away but unfortunately did not help the frozen should one iota.

(All this isn't to say that an injection might not be a good idea for you and work well for you..Not everyone has the reaction I did. And of course our injuries are somewhat different..Sounds like you experienced direct trauma from the accident. Mine just crept up slowly on me. So speak to your orthopedist)

It was then I went for physical therapy. It took going 3 times a week for 8 weeks before I was reasonably okay and had some range of motion without too much pain. But even then I had to continue a lot of "homework" the phys. therapists gave me, and it took a full year before I could use that arm entirely pain free.

In between PT sessions, are you doing certain exercises daily that the therapist has given you? How often do you see the PT person?

I feel for you...but have patience...this is no easy fix. It really does take time.

zuzu xx

Last edited by zuzu8; 12-12-2004 at 06:29 PM.

Closed Thread