It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2004, 05:29 PM   #1

annarayne HB User
breathing difficulty...

i made a post a few days ago but nobody has replied to it, so i'm gonna try again and if i still get no reply then.. i give up
this has been going on for over 2 weeks now. i went to the hospital last thursday for difficulty breathing. i can't take in a deep breath neither can i yawn, it results in me gasping for air to the point i seem to stretch too much and it hurts. i have no pain other then when i try to get in some air which also is starting to hurt my neck quite a bit. my chest was fine, totally clear. but i think it's a problem in my throat. only a few days ago i started up some cold symptoms and figured that with that my problem with breathing may go away as well but its only worsened and makes it more difficult for breathing with my nose blocked. i've also noticed that the glands in my throat are swollen, i can easily feel them when i lightly touch my neck. my throat's incredibly dry, i can't cough, i can't take in big breaths (only small ones), i've been getting some fevers off and on (really bad last night), and its been well over two weeks. the doctor at the hospital said that it's probably a virus but the amount of time it's taking.. seems very prolonged. he said to check back if it gets worse, i guess i will but i don't have easy access to getting there. any advice on ways to breathe more easily? it feels like my throat is constricted, almost like asthma, but we know it's not that because i wouldn't respond to the inhalers at the hospital plus it's very constant and continual. it never gets to the point that i can't breathe at all, unless i'd start to panick and need to take deeper breaths. i've gotten used to just taking smaller breaths but a yawn would be nice.. i havent been able to in over 2 weeks. i don't feel like it's getting any better. any ideas on what this can be?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2004, 06:14 PM   #2
(female)

C74 HB User
Re: breathing difficulty...

Hello.
Sounds like your going through a hard time. I do know what it feels like though to not be able to take in deep breaths, in may I had a lung collapse.
I was just curious if you had any chest x-rays done? If you have, what were the results?

Cheryl

Old 12-07-2004, 06:22 PM   #3

annarayne HB User

ya i did when i went into the hospital. they said it was totally clear so there was nothing wrong in that respect. he said to wait a week and if it worsens or remains, to go back to see him...

Old 12-07-2004, 06:24 PM   #4

annarayne HB User

i should probably also mention that while i was there they took my blood pressure and it was pretty high. 140 over 99, or 144 over 99... not sure on the first number. i've never had bad blood pressure so i think it's just a result of not being able to take in the proper amount of air. i can breathe out ok, but not in. i also did a lung capacity test which showed that i exhaled much lower then what a regular person would, almost by half.

Old 12-07-2004, 06:36 PM   #5
(female)

C74 HB User

I don't think your difficulty breathing is related to High BP. The 144 in mildly high, and the 99 is a concerning number, but what concerns me is that the pulmonary function test came back abnormal, even though the x-ray was clear. The x-ray is really good news. when are you going to go see the doctor again?

Old 12-07-2004, 06:41 PM   #6
(female)

C74 HB User

forgot to ask if you smoke or have a past medical history of resp. ailments that would produce a abnormal pulmonary function test.

Old 12-07-2004, 06:45 PM   #7

annarayne HB User

by thursday. last i went he said to wait a week, i just attempted making an appointment earlier but caught them too late although i think i'm best to try going to the hospital anyway. it's a very odd timing considering exams are coming up just in a few days.. i can hardly stay awake long enough to study properly, or keep my concentration while concentrating on breathing too.

i don't smoke. i do have a weird habit of catching strep throat (although this doesn't feel like that, there's no soreness..) and when i was about 6months i had pneumonia and bronchitis but no problems since.

Last edited by annarayne; 12-07-2004 at 06:46 PM.

Old 12-07-2004, 07:14 PM   #8
(female)

C74 HB User

Your so tired because your not oxygenating properly. I wish I could be more of help to you. Maybe someone else will post and can offer some help. I coundn't even imagine having that kind of problem and trying to study for finals. I wish you luck and keep me posted on how your appt. goes with the doc. and finals

cheryl

Old 12-07-2004, 07:20 PM   #9

annarayne HB User

heh, thanks for trying. i'm not sure how much anyone could really say on it since the doctor seemed pretty confused himself so he said "it's a virus", although by now it would have started to go away im sure, not persist. i'll try the hosp tomorrow. thanks again.

Old 12-10-2004, 06:47 AM   #10

Ron HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by annarayne
i made a post a few days ago but nobody has replied to it, so i'm gonna try again and if i still get no reply then.. i give up
this has been going on for over 2 weeks now. i went to the hospital last thursday for difficulty breathing. i can't take in a deep breath neither can i yawn, it results in me gasping for air to the point i seem to stretch too much and it hurts. i have no pain other then when i try to get in some air which also is starting to hurt my neck quite a bit. my chest was fine, totally clear. but i think it's a problem in my throat. only a few days ago i started up some cold symptoms and figured that with that my problem with breathing may go away as well but its only worsened and makes it more difficult for breathing with my nose blocked. i've also noticed that the glands in my throat are swollen, i can easily feel them when i lightly touch my neck. my throat's incredibly dry, i can't cough, i can't take in big breaths (only small ones), i've been getting some fevers off and on (really bad last night), and its been well over two weeks. the doctor at the hospital said that it's probably a virus but the amount of time it's taking.. seems very prolonged. he said to check back if it gets worse, i guess i will but i don't have easy access to getting there. any advice on ways to breathe more easily? it feels like my throat is constricted, almost like asthma, but we know it's not that because i wouldn't respond to the inhalers at the hospital plus it's very constant and continual. it never gets to the point that i can't breathe at all, unless i'd start to panick and need to take deeper breaths. i've gotten used to just taking smaller breaths but a yawn would be nice.. i havent been able to in over 2 weeks. i don't feel like it's getting any better. any ideas on what this can be?
------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Anna,

Certainly, a virus can be why you feel short of breath, but dry air or a slight
response to it by the body can cause a protective mucous layer to cause lung
congestion.

When I have a cold, I often feel like I am not getting enough air. I find that it really helps to have a fan running in the room, so that you can actually feel a breeze. It is refreshing to feel the air move.
Try it... The price is rught.

Ron

Old 12-10-2004, 09:21 AM   #11
Senior Veteran

Sunlover HB User

Are you sure it's not just anxiety?? One of the main symptoms is "air hunger" you feel like you can't take a deep breath and so you keep sighing and TAKING deep breaths. And sometimes you just CAN'T. You feel like you have to stand outside to fill your lungs.... just a thought.

Old 12-10-2004, 09:46 AM   #12

Anarchist HB User

Do you still have your tonsils? I have to have mine removed Jan 3rd due to the fact they swell so large that I have difficulty breathing, eating, drinking, sleeping when I am sick. They touch together and form an impenitrable barrier.. lol

Old 12-10-2004, 12:54 PM   #13

annonymousely HB User

hi, maybe your having panic attacks? since it nearly your finals your bound to be stressed and worried. I have asthma and sometimes when im having a severe attack i also have panic attacks because i get so worried about not being able to breathe. when you feel like you cant breathe do you breathe quicker or do your lips/fingers/hands/face feel numb and get pins and needles? sorry i cant be more help good luck xxx

Old 12-10-2004, 05:37 PM   #14
(female)

C74 HB User
Hey there..
I was was just checking back to see how things were going with you. Did you go back to the doctor?

I bet your close or already studying for finals. How is that coming along?

Old 12-10-2004, 07:33 PM   #15

annarayne HB User

i never went to the doctor. it's not so bad anymore. still happens but not nearly as much as before. i'm able to yawn every now and then so i figure that it's starting to get better. i guess it was a virus and is now starting to go away. about time!

as for finals, egh... so hard. i'm struggling a bit with studying because i can't keep my focus although that's been a problem all year long. it's nearly over though so i can't wait til then.

Closed Thread