It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2004, 06:51 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User
Elevated CO2 in blood test

Can anyone tell me, in practical terms, what a slightly elevated CO2 level in a blood test means? Is it likely to mean that I'm a lazy slob who manages to get only about 10 minutes of aerobic exercise a month, for example? (Unfortunately, that is probably true.)

I was just looking over my two previous blood tests and both showed the CO2 just above the normal range. It wasn't enough to get my doctor excited, obviously, as she never even mentioned it when we went over blood tests results. (She got a lot more excited about my cholesterol results, however.)

Anyway, I did a web search and didn't find much of practical significance. Most just said:

CO2 (Carbon Dioxide) - The CO2 level is related to the respiratory exchange of carbon dioxide in the lungs and is part of the bodies buffering system. Generally when used with the other electrolytes, it is a good indicator of acidosis and alkalinity.
Normal Adult Range: 22-32 mEq/L
Optimal Adult Reading: 27

The Following User Says Thank You to Uff-Da! For This Useful Post:
gdixon (05-17-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-09-2004, 09:04 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User
Re: Elevated CO2 in blood test

Sorry, I can't help with the excess of CO2, I have the problem of not enough CO2.

Do you take deep breaths and slow exhales?
What time of day was the lab test done?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-11-2004, 10:40 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

jerrie97 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uff-Da!
Can anyone tell me, in practical terms, what a slightly elevated CO2 level in a blood test means? Is it likely to mean that I'm a lazy slob who manages to get only about 10 minutes of aerobic exercise a month, for example? (Unfortunately, that is probably true.)

I was just looking over my two previous blood tests and both showed the CO2 just above the normal range. It wasn't enough to get my doctor excited, obviously, as she never even mentioned it when we went over blood tests results. (She got a lot more excited about my cholesterol results, however.)

Anyway, I did a web search and didn't find much of practical significance. Most just said:

CO2 (Carbon Dioxide) - The CO2 level is related to the respiratory exchange of carbon dioxide in the lungs and is part of the bodies buffering system. Generally when used with the other electrolytes, it is a good indicator of acidosis and alkalinity.
Normal Adult Range: 22-32 mEq/L
Optimal Adult Reading: 27
Do you have any lung disorders?

If not, I think maybe it could have been that you were holding your breath when the blood was taken. It's likely that I'm wrong, but I always hold my breath during blood tests. Bad habit.

Old 12-11-2004, 08:44 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User

No lung disorder. Ah, in all probability I held my breath during the blood test! I didn't think about that. It totally freaks me out. I have to look the other way, too. I don't know how people can ever become a nurse. (I'm glad that they do, though!) Thanks for your reply.

Old 09-11-2007, 04:17 AM   #5
(female)

bkang22 HB User

I can not find anything on low CO2 (not real low just below the spec by 2 and my chloride was just a little high) but this is the first time in all my years of physicals that my numbers are out of range, any idea what causes a low CO2?

Closed Thread