It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2004, 03:23 AM   #1

LiannaS HB User
Post Faint when I hurt myself?

I would like to find out why when I hurt myself (obviously not on purpose) do I want to faint and then sometimes (very often) do faint? Obviously it's only when I hurt myself really bad. I fell the other day, hurt both my knees and one arm badly and I fainted if one of my friends wasn't behind me, I would've fell backwards 3 steps down apperentlu I was out for 5 minutes and broke out in a cold sweat. I bend my thumbnail backwards in the shower a while back, I had to get out of the shower and had to lay down on the bathroom floor, cause I wanted to faint in the shower. Now imagine fainting in the shower. Can anybody tell my why? Its never happened before, not even when I was a child, falling of bicycles, nothing? Only now as a grownup.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-11-2004, 10:37 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

jerrie97 HB User
Re: Faint when I hurt myself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiannaS
I would like to find out why when I hurt myself (obviously not on purpose) do I want to faint and then sometimes (very often) do faint? Obviously it's only when I hurt myself really bad. I fell the other day, hurt both my knees and one arm badly and I fainted if one of my friends wasn't behind me, I would've fell backwards 3 steps down apperentlu I was out for 5 minutes and broke out in a cold sweat. I bend my thumbnail backwards in the shower a while back, I had to get out of the shower and had to lay down on the bathroom floor, cause I wanted to faint in the shower. Now imagine fainting in the shower. Can anybody tell my why? Its never happened before, not even when I was a child, falling of bicycles, nothing? Only now as a grownup.
Fainting related to pain is called vasovagal syncope. If I'm not mistaken, your vagus nerve is sending out impulses that tell your veins to constrict (called vasoconstriction). Because they're constricted, not enough oxygen is getting to your brain and causing you to faint.

Another thing I can think of is hyperventilation due to pain. When you hyperventilate, too much oxygen is getting to your brain and causing a fainting feeling.

Still, though, bring it up with your doctor at your next appointment.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-11-2004, 07:37 PM   #3
(female)

kali23 HB User

Swimfast, thanks for the info about vasovagal sycope - I'd never heard of that before, and I just looked it up on the Internet. Very interesting. My husband and I both always either pass out or almost pass out when we are hurt or sometimes if someone else is badly hurt or even sometimes when people begin discussing gory scenerios when they were hurt. Also blood tests tend to make us faint as well. So you are not alone Lianna!! I've always just let it happen, so let us know if you figure out something that makes the feeling go away!

Old 12-11-2004, 09:14 PM   #4

LiannaS HB User

Thanks to both of you. I also went and found out more about this. I really want to find out what can make it go away, I suffer from very low blood pressure aswell and it already is a consern to my husband and family, (my gp doesn't want to give me anything for it, since he believes at 27 I'm to young to take anything and only suggested to take extra salt) since I'm home alone quite a lot and drive the whole day, they, and obviously myself are worried that something should happen when I'm alone and I hurt myself even worse and there's nobody to help me. I'm going to talk to my gp (or even a different one) about this and will let you know as soon as find out what can be taken (I hope the answer is not salt). And it's good to know it's not only me. Kali, plse keep me posted if you find out about anything? Did this also only started happening as an adult? If not, do you have children yet, does it effect them or do you think it can effect them, maybe it could be herediatry?

Old 12-12-2004, 10:00 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mecpcpj HB User

I have to agree with the other posters that it's VasoVagal Syncope. I had a really bad fall in August where I scraped my elbow and knee and I just passed out for no reason. I've never passed out before and I have no problem with blood or seeing blood so it wasn't that. I went to a neurologist and she told me it was vasovagal syncope and it's not really life threatening or serious. The best thing to do is to lay down or have someone lay you down so the blood can be pumped up to your brain and you'll quickly regain consciousness.

Old 12-16-2004, 11:44 AM   #6
(female)

kali23 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiannaS
Kali, plse keep me posted if you find out about anything? Did this also only started happening as an adult? If not, do you have children yet, does it effect them or do you think it can effect them, maybe it could be herediatry?
I will let you know if I find out anything - nothing yet. As for when it began, this has effected me ever since I was a child. Sometimes it is worse than other times. Sometimes I will cut myself and be just fine, but other times I'll just bang my knee on something and start feeling woozy. It's the same way for my husband. I don't have children, but I do wonder if it could be hereditary because both my husband and my father-in-law have always had this problem. I think my husband has it coming from both sides because his grandmother and aunt on his mom's side has it too. I remember once his grandma got hurt and his aunt passed out. Then as soon as his aunt came to, his grandma passed out! They went back and forth for a few minutes until they got control of it. So, I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be hereditary. Let me know if you get more info.

Closed Thread