It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2004, 03:02 PM   #1
(female)

Eliz-Beth HB User
Exclamation Please Help... Friend had a heat stroke!

My best friend called me last night and told me that after their basketball game one of our really good friends had a heat stroke. She was fine threw the whole game, but after the whole team got into the locker room she started feeling really dizzy, throwing up, and ended up passing out and they had to call an ambulance and rushed her to the hospital. What really confuses me is that she's a very healthy teenager.

What exactly is a heat stroke?
How in the world can someone have a heat stroke in the winter?

Old 12-11-2004, 04:27 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User
Re: Please Help... Friend had a heat stroke!

Heat stroke is a serious condition in which the body overheats and isn't able to cool itself down properly. It isn't a stroke like I think you are thinking of. It is not a problem with the brain. It sounds like she is being taken care of, but it can be serious.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-11-2004, 11:49 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

heat exhaustion, heat stroke, the same thing. But, the stroke part isn't acutally used the same as an acutal stroke. BUT, I believe you can have significant BRAIN DAMAGE if you are not found in time and cooled. I don't know why your friend had this-it happened to me a while ago. I was drinking, in the sun on a boat and passed out. I got a really really bad burn and when they found me they immediately gave me water, covered me and put me in the shade, and put a cold cloth on my head to cool me. The worst part was I wanted to sleep SO BAD. But, they had to keep me awake. Kind of like getting a concussion-you have to keep the person awake. Have you done any searches online for this?
I hope your friend is okay.

Old 12-12-2004, 06:25 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

heat stroke and heat exhaustion are NOT the same thing.Heat exhaustion can normally be treated at home just by pushing fluids and getting the person into a cool place.Most will feel just fine the next day.but if they were a little more dehydrated than usual it may take a few days to get the fluid intake up to par. but heat stroke is a whole different ball game.It happens if heat exhaustion is not properly tended and treated right away.People with exhaustion will be sweating like a pig and eventually,if those fluids are not replaced quickly enough,the person will become severely dehydrated, stop sweating(which is the bodys natural air conditioner and the only way the body has to naturally cool itself)and then with no way to cool itself anymore,will heat start to heat up to dangerous levels.This is an extreme emergency that will require a very speedy trip to the closest ER.if not treated soon, the person can and will experience damage to the brain and the kidneys and many other organs.it will also eventually affect the heart rhythem.our bodies are made up of lots of water for a good reason.Fluid levels affect just about every body function that occurs,so without it,for even a short length of time,is quite dangerous and eventually will lead to death if the condition is not quickly reversed.they definitly did the right thing in calling an ambulance.Luckily,if this is treated appropriately and asap,the outcome is usually quite good.it sounds like this was done for your friend.i think her prognosis is a good one.i just wanted to clarify the difference between the two conditions.Marcia

Old 12-12-2004, 12:26 PM   #5
(female)

Eliz-Beth HB User
Smile Re: Please Help... Friend had a heat stroke!

Thanks everyone for all yalls help. She was released from the hospital last night, and accourding to my other friend she's doing much better. She's still really tired and weak, but on the road to recovery.

Last edited by Eliz-Beth; 12-12-2004 at 12:27 PM.

Old 12-12-2004, 12:59 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

oops, sorry, I only know that most people use the words loosely. My apologies.

Old 12-13-2004, 04:35 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

No problem Mel,I just wanted to point out that there is a difference.Did not want to make you feel badly.There indeed are way too many words used to describe the same conditions.Now isn't life confusing enough without having to worry about this?Ya just gotta love the medical world.lol.Marcia

Closed Thread