It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2004, 04:45 AM   #1
(female)

becca1024 HB User
Question Hearing things...

I don't know if this is the place to post this..but here goes. Sometimes for no reason i have this ringing in my ears. Everyone tells me that means someone is talking about you (yada yada yada)..you know those sayings. Well...is there a reason this happens or is it just something that happens? Also, sometimes when listening to the radio I hear a high pitched whine. When I ask if other people hear it also, only one person out of like a hundred people I've asked over time have said they heard it too. So...what could be causing this? any answers or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 12-13-2004, 07:24 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

crisma HB User
Re: Hearing things...

It sounds like you have tinitus. Have you had a sinus infection or anything like that lately? You might try over the counter decongestants. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-13-2004, 10:22 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User

Becca,

If the ringing in your ears comes on suddenly and doesn't last long, and only happens once in a while, it's very common and nothing to worry about.

If your get this very often though and it's really bothering you, you might want to see an ENT doc. But as I said, once in a while is of no clinical significance.

True tinnitus is a condition when the ringing is constant [24/7] and never subsides.

As for hearing a high-pitched whine sometimes when listening to the radio, perhaps you have ultra-acute hearing(!) and are picking up a frequency not heard by others!

zuzu xxx

Last edited by zuzu8; 12-13-2004 at 10:27 AM.

Old 12-13-2004, 10:47 AM   #4
(female)

becca1024 HB User

Oh! Ok, thanks for answering. *waves*

Old 12-13-2004, 11:17 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

bharkins HB User

Becca,

I hear annoying ear sounds whenever my blood pressure is running high.

Old 12-17-2004, 11:58 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

kitkat77 HB User

From when I was young, I can remember hearing what sounded like a far away radio station in my head. I asked my sister about it and she said she heard it too, so we passed it off as being able to hear a different radio frequency (we were about 10 & 11 years old and thought we were bionic, lol). Since entering our 30's we have both been diagnosed with GAD and OCD so assume this may have something to do with it, and my sister has HighBP. I know this sounds totally dumb but I can actually "hear" a song being played -- I hear the actual artist's voice as well as the instruments, all clearly distinguishable. It sounds very far away but I know I'm not actually hearing it because I can control which song is played, so I know it's definately in my head. The clearest "reception" (lol) is if there is white noise in the background. I can concentrate and listen to songs until I fall asleep. Am I a freak or what! Incidentally, my sister and I both have always slept with white noise on. Maybe this has caused yet another psychological disorder in itself?

Old 12-17-2004, 12:46 PM   #7
(female)

Susanbrennan80 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkat77
From when I was young, I can remember hearing what sounded like a far away radio station in my head. I asked my sister about it and she said she heard it too, so we passed it off as being able to hear a different radio frequency (we were about 10 & 11 years old and thought we were bionic, lol). Since entering our 30's we have both been diagnosed with GAD and OCD so assume this may have something to do with it, and my sister has HighBP. I know this sounds totally dumb but I can actually "hear" a song being played -- I hear the actual artist's voice as well as the instruments, all clearly distinguishable. It sounds very far away but I know I'm not actually hearing it because I can control which song is played, so I know it's definately in my head. The clearest "reception" (lol) is if there is white noise in the background. I can concentrate and listen to songs until I fall asleep. Am I a freak or what! Incidentally, my sister and I both have always slept with white noise on. Maybe this has caused yet another psychological disorder in itself?

Old 12-17-2004, 12:52 PM   #8
(female)

Susanbrennan80 HB User

I think I can top that. I didn't know until a while ago that most people dream in black and white, my dreams are like a holly wood production. with a da ta da *** dah, sue wood presents. you know, big production, and, I can preprogram. If I want a scary dream, out they come, If I want to fly, there I go, I have since found out no one else I know can do it. I used to think I was weird but a hundred or so years later I'm sort of used to it. Any body else have such a thing happen to them? Oh yes, I also have the ringing thing on and off, I once aked my husband to answer that, when the phone wasnss't ringing. Too much aspirin.

Old 12-19-2004, 10:51 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

kitkat77 HB User

I dream in VIVID color and I don't know anyone who dreams in black and white! I used to be able to control my dreams when I was much younger and I LOVED it! I wasn't able to preprogram them though. Just while in the middle of a dream I would somehow realize it was a dream and alter it to make whatever I wanted to happen. Haven't been able to do this for years though......

Old 12-22-2004, 12:51 AM   #10
(female)

becca1024 HB User

wow...i put the post to ask about ringing in my ears...and everyone answers! lol and hey...I could do that to susan...it kind of freaked me out for a while though. I would be thinking about something before I fell asleep and then...bam! it was like i was living what i was thinking. For example I once wondered if you dream of dying while sleeping do you really die? the next thing I knew i was dreaming of falling off a cliff. luckily for me (i think it would be considered lucky) i woke up just before i went splat. i was dreched in sweat and my heart was pounding really hard and i had a killer headache. weird huh? hm...since i was little i have always needed to have noise in the background before i could fall asleep. sometimes when im sleeping and someone is talking around me i can remember the conversation clearly. i once just started talking to my sister about a guy named john and she gave me this really weird look. it turned out that she had been talking on the phone to a friend about him. ack...i can tell you she never talks when i am anywhere around sleeping now. ok...enough of my weird experiences.

Last edited by becca1024; 12-22-2004 at 04:53 AM.

Closed Thread