It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2004, 09:18 AM   #1
(female)

dgriff13 HB User
Skin rash, no other symptoms

Hello all, new to this forum. I'm 25 years old, and I have what seems to be a minor issue. For about a year now, I have noticed a rash across my cheeks. It looks like small red pimples, but it feels smooth to the touch. It usually occurs around heat; if I wake up in the middle of the night and I'm hot, or after a hot shower. It's not ichy or dry and i have no other symptoms. It just isn't.. um.. pretty. Eventually it goes away, maybe a few hours later. I tried different soaps and shampoos, and apply lotion after my shower.... that doesn't seem to be the problem. I have no allergies. My cheeks have always been rosey- I get that from my mom...and when I exercize, my face gets red- always has. Just wondering what this random rash is, and why it won't go away.

Some additional health info: 3 years ago I was diagnosed with Graves' Disease (Hyperthyroidism), and had the radioactive iodine treatment. I have been in remission ever since... seems to be no problems there. I get blood tests done regularly.

I'm currently on Depo Provera birth control, and also taking extrogen pills towards the end of my 3 months. I haven't noticed any symptoms dealing with this either.

Other than that, a pretty healthy person. I'd appreciate any advice/comments. Thanks ;0)

Old 12-13-2004, 11:27 AM   #2
(female)

storm12 HB User
Re: Skin rash, no other symptoms

Visit a dermatologist -

Have you checked into Rosacea? I have had this for around 4 1/2 years (I was diagnosed finally at age 26, four years ago) My face gets red from heat, exercise, cold (cold air in winter especially), certain foods such as cheese, and I am also just a natural blusher emotionally. I have to stop in the middle of workouts and wet my face down with cold water to prevent the redness from staying around for hours, days or weeks. Heat and cold redness (which tends to hang around longer on my cheeks and face than the normal person - with some acne-like bumps as well) does not cause itching for me, but cheese makes my face red almost immediately, and then I get extremely itchy bumps - only on my face.

If it is rosacea, really watch it with was soaps and lotions you use. Some kinds of shampoos even make me red. Nothing harsh - and preferrably no alcohol in it. WITCH HAZEL does a major number on my face - so if you try acne stuff, really read the ingredients - particularly if you go to natural/health stores. Those places, very nice for some things, have skin products that are full of witch hazel. My face immediately turns red, swells, and itches on contact.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-14-2004, 09:44 AM   #3

Ron HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm12
Visit a dermatologist -

Have you checked into Rosacea? I have had this for around 4 1/2 years (I was diagnosed finally at age 26, four years ago) My face gets red from heat, exercise, cold (cold air in winter especially), certain foods such as cheese, and I am also just a natural blusher emotionally. I have to stop in the middle of workouts and wet my face down with cold water to prevent the redness from staying around for hours, days or weeks. Heat and cold redness (which tends to hang around longer on my cheeks and face than the normal person - with some acne-like bumps as well) does not cause itching for me, but cheese makes my face red almost immediately, and then I get extremely itchy bumps - only on my face.

If it is rosacea, really watch it with was soaps and lotions you use. Some kinds of shampoos even make me red. Nothing harsh - and preferrably no alcohol in it. WITCH HAZEL does a major number on my face - so if you try acne stuff, really read the ingredients - particularly if you go to natural/health stores. Those places, very nice for some things, have skin products that are full of witch hazel. My face immediately turns red, swells, and itches on contact.
--------------------------------------------------------

Hi Storm,

Did your dermatologist ever mention the use of long term doxycycline to clear up the Acne Rosacea? It may come back, but it will give you months of
no symptoms.

Look it up using the search words... "acne rosacea antibiotics"

Good luck..
Ron

Old 12-14-2004, 08:46 PM   #4
Inactive

kerry1 HB User

I've heard of birth control causing acne. Might as well check it out.

Closed Thread